Ok so lets start pushing this boulder uphill ( my complete 89 dx hb build)

baytownhatch

Ok for those of y'all who don't like it keep it to yourself. There is a reason this car will be the way it is. This was my cousins car who was like my little brother. I'm trying my best to do this build with the parts HE picked out so if you don't like it just leave the thread and keep it to yourself

baytownhatch

So still trying to decide what engine I should choose to put into the hatch. The choices so far are between a ls/Vtech, getting a d16 and turboing it out, and a b16 with the possibility of putting a turbo on it. Trying to stay around 3k for the engine give me your thoughts on what might be a the best option. If you know a better engine feel free to let me know

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That body kit is sick bro, good luck with the build =)

Hektic

doing it.
I feel you on eliminating the boxy look of the older hatches. As for engine I would have to recommend the vtec......D16 vtec with turbo? The B series swaps are sooo played out

baytownhatch

Yeah me and a buddy were discussing that issue with the engine options. D16 Vtech won't add any significant weight to the car like a b series would. If I went B series I'd have to adjust the height In the front to compensate the weight gain

Hektic

doing it.
Yeah me and a buddy were discussing that issue with the engine options. D16 Vtech won't add any significant weight to the car like a b series would. If I went B series I'd have to adjust the height In the front to compensate the weight gain

yeah readjusting the front height would also be a reason for me to scrap the B series option personally. extra weight is never something I would necessarily look forward to on a build like this. are you looking at major tuning and power options also or just the upgraded engine and the cosmetic styling? besides the turbo I mean

baytownhatch

Major tuning. I plan on turboing the engine, upgrading the suspension, and redoing the entire interior. I'm shooting for 300 hp but not sure what I'll end up with

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Vtec. Its vtec

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

baytownhatch

ok so after much debate I've decided to suck it up and just do the b16a SIR 1 Swap.
cost: 1899.00
sourced from http://www.superiorracing.com/JDM_Honda_Engines-B16A_88-91_SiR_1_Complete_Change_Over_1.html

I'll just have to accept the fact that i need to adjust the ride height to compesate for the additional weight. The reason i decided to go with this option is simply put I need a good foundation to start with. It has a compression rating of 10.2, 160hp(stock). When looking to upgrade the engine i wanted something that could reach 300 hp. D16's/D17's that reach this goal are somewhat far and few between. Before someone comes in here and goes off saying that I have a d16 that has 400hp blah blah blah you might, but the amount of money and time you spent to get that will be far lower than the amount of time labor and cost ill end up putting into my b16. Because after I turbo my b16 i'll gladly put my dyno next to yours to compare!!!! With that being said its time to start saving.

baytownhatch

First on the road to rebuilding the hatch is replacing the radiator core support. I ordered it tonight ill have some pics up by next week with the new hood(mine was damaged beyond repair) it's a different color for now but it will be painted eventually so I'm not too worried.

Hektic

doing it.
the B series is still a good choice IMO...plenty of potential to let those horsies gallop :cool:. how are you liking that website you said you were going to use for the build parts by the way? are they reliable with payment and shipping/quality parts? I'm always adding upgrades and such to my 99 EX as funds provide and I'm always looking for good websites to use..

baytownhatch

I love the site. It's fast, reliable, and they are pretty inexpensive. I like how they separate the parts per model also.

Hektic

doing it.
awesome. well I'm tuned in to watch this thing grow. you should throw up some pics of the ride so far if you can

baytownhatch

Yea I'm gonna take some this weekend probably. I'm gonna love the before and after pics. This car is a piece but in time I'm gonna make it a completely different car

baytownhatch

Soon. Wish I could have picked up one as clean as yours yea I checked yours out clean as hell. This one has been through hell