opinions needed. my car... a new car. what to do

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys thanks for looking in here. So heres the deal. I finally landed myself a decent paying job where i can finally afford to start doing some stuff to my car. I only own 1 car right now that being my 95 dx coupe. Its a beautiful car, its in good shape but im defenetely ready to start doing more stuff to it. so heres where i've been thinking of some options for myself. Im wondering what i should do and if anyone has some feedback for me..

1) KEEP MY CAR
So far theres some body work to be done. I bondo'd the two rear fender well areas that rusted but its only primed right now so painting it will cost me some money. Im also im great need of tires but that also gives me a reason to finally get rims. Im looking for something 16-17 inch 6 or more spokes in probably gunmetal. need suggestions for that. Along with the rims and tires i will get full dampers, get all the camber and s**t adjusted right and strut/sway bars to tighen the ride up a little. All that will probably hold me over for summer, and probably a CF Hood to top that all off. Then come winter time i should have enough money for a engine swap which thankfully i now have friends in the auto business who can help me out. But i really wnat to know what the best swap is for me. Im plainning on boosting it and i want this car to be FAST. no questions asked. So i guess im going to go with a b18 but im not sure what yet.

2) BUY A NEW CAR
As much as i love my car im am absoultey obsessed now with 99-00 Blue Si's and a lot of the things like sunroof, power windows, locks, a somehwat faster engine thats stock, and just the appearanceof the car almost have me sold. So i figure with my car in its current condition i could get about 2,500 for my car, and save up another 6-7 grand by the end of summer and buy one. but then again i'd be starting from scratch with all the mods plus that much money could easy get me pretyt far into the stuff i could do with my car currently

then theres also the last option of saving for a totaly differnet car for a daily driver, then just keeping my 95 dx for a project car. But the thing with that is i still live with my parents. we have a garage but im not too sure how much they would be into me having a car kept in the garage and own another one. Plus that would put me at least a year into the future with being able to do anything with my car becuase i'd have to be saving for a new car right now...

so thanks for reading all that hopefully someone will have some good idea or tips. I'm open to anything im just looking for a little advce from someone who has either been in the situation, or even if they haven;t at least they can just see things from outside of where i do. Thanks, please comment!!

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DON'T SWAP THE ENGINE!!! the amount of money you would pay to swap the engine you can turbo ur D and even get some pistons and rods! dude trust me... check this site out d-series.org FTW. Don't swap the engine. I too thought about doing that and hopping on the bandwagon but trust me. Just building/turbo'ing ur d will save you s**t loads of money and headache.

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but will it actually be fast.. and will that be worth the money since theres just about 150,000 miles on it?

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16bang said:
DON'T SWAP THE ENGINE!!! the amount of money you would pay to swap the engine you can turbo ur D and even get some pistons and rods! dude trust me... check this site out d-series.org FTW. Don't swap the engine. I too thought about doing that and hopping on the bandwagon but trust me. Just building/turbo'ing ur d will save you s**t loads of money and headache.
1. Swapping motors is not a "bandwagon" thing to do seeing as ity's been done in every car make since the beginning of time.

2. It's all a matter of opinion. Yes a turbo D is fast and cheap. I actually thought about doing one but a turbo B is always a possibility and IMO cheap is not a way I'd like to describe my car.

Do your own research, do what YOU want and anything suggested in a thread will be no more than opinion. Take it for all it is.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo d for teh win..
rebuilding and sleeving or balancing and blueprinting and many other things are options for a high mileage motor.
there are also many head swaps and piston combos you could look into for your d.
there are actually a few 13 second all motor d's running around on d-series.org
chris

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i could id personally swap for a b series, or k20 if i had the money.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ur saying cheap is bad. I'm thinkin cheap like low priced good quality good deal cheap. Not cheap ebay no-name brand. Beating somebody whos dropped $4k into their engine new 30k miles engine DOHC, with your $2k SOHC D is priceless.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=88262

this guy just swapped its causing him a headache. I don't wanna down talk him because his balls are the size of bowling balls for doing the swap himself. I woulda pussied out and taken it to a shop, especially if i had noone to help me.

Just turbo your d, and swapping is a bandwagon. Just because its been done for a long time just means the bandwagon has been around for a while AND at that it hasn't even been done for that long i believe 8-10yrs....at least when it comes to honda engines. i kno longer for other cars but for honda engines i believe that is the right timeframe..correct me if i'm wrong.

SI-vic lover

5+ Year Member
def dont swap to anything crazy......if you wanna go n/a then get a b18, but since you wanna boost you should just keep the d (swapping to another d-series is easy and might be good for you-d16z6/jdm zc) but boosting a d is WAAYYYY cheaper than swapping than boosting and about the same power.....with a good 10 psi your sohc will be bitchin fast

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't think u wanna use 'cheap' anymore...just use 'less expensive'. Do a mini-me swap and it will get u a little more power off the bat. Usually the current block u have is pretty good for a d series, so it doesn't make tooo big of a difference. You could do a mini-me swap (which gets you the z6 head) and then get the EX or hte SI (doesn't matter much) tranny. get some forged pistons and nice rods, if u have a little extra get some sleeving done. And build you a nice turbo set-up. Use alot of d-series.org and homemadeturbo.com will help a shitload...did and does for me

DarkFox

5+ Year Member
not meaning to thread jack, but what's the difference between keeping his current tranny and getting the ex/si tranny?

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i believe the ex/si tranny is geared better hte the lx, cx, etc.. i dunno i read it somewhere and something in the back of my head is telling me its better......

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea the dx is a lot spaced out i think, i guess you just get better acceleration out of the ex/si ones. well as long as you guys think that even with the high miles i would be ok with my current engine i may just keep it and see what happens. im still going to keep my eyes open though for a blue 99/00 si for sale around my area.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd rather swap, but that's a personal choice. Do what your gut tells you. You wanna save a pretty penny, boost your d.

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16bang said:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=88262

this guy just swapped its causing him a headache. I don't wanna down talk him because his balls are the size of bowling balls for doing the swap himself. I woulda pussied out and taken it to a shop, especially if i had noone to help me.

Just turbo your d, and swapping is a bandwagon. Just because its been done for a long time just means the bandwagon has been around for a while AND at that it hasn't even been done for that long i believe 8-10yrs....at least when it comes to honda engines. i kno longer for other cars but for honda engines i believe that is the right timeframe..correct me if i'm wrong.
Never the less, swapping motors is no more bandwagon than a turbo. Back in 95 my boy had a JDM GSR in his car and my other boy had a JDM front end on his Teg in 98. Turbo D's are sick and I have mad respect for em but either decision is not a bad one.

I've seen just as much problems and actually even more from tubo d's than swapped B's so that is no kind of arguement at all. I could've built a turbo D easily with what I've spent but I chose a B and just because you have a "faster, cheaper" motor does not give you the right to label me as a stupid bandwagoner that wasted my money. IMHO I respect a NA built B more than a turbo built D. That's just MY taste.

As I've said before to the original poster................do your own research and make your own decision.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i can give you one example where you would be happier with using little money.. ls turbo.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
B16EJ1 said:
2. It's all a matter of opinion. Yes a turbo D is fast and cheap. I actually thought about doing one but a turbo B is always a possibility and IMO cheap is not a way I'd like to describe my car.

very well put...

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't read it all but some key things I did see was your car equals bonda which equals bad. Then I saw you are obsessed with 99-00 em1's so I say if it was up to me the em1 would be in my drive way.