overheat engine problem solved 2001 civic civics

erbilabuc

5+ Year Member
Ok so there are a few (more like a lot) of us 01 civic owners that have the misterious overheat problem. I have troubleshooting this problem on my 2001 civic ex with 80,000 miles since January of 2008 which was when the problem started. I went from big and obvious all the way into small and complex.

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, radiator, radiator hoses, overflow bottle and then came to the conclusion that I was cursed and decided since none of these fixed the problem that I would just put the old stock parts back in and get my money back.

I have figured out that the overheating is caused by too much water in the coolant mixture and a deteriorating radiator cap. The radiator cap will work good enough to keep liquid in but as soon as the system pressurizes and the water boils (due to too much water in the mixture), the steam will leak out causing your coolant level to go low and overheating your engine and also cooking the radiator cap gasket.

REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR CAP AND mix your coolant 75% antifreeze/ 25% water

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i never mixed 50/50 i usually fill the radiator with 50/50 then just add straight antifreeze after that. this is on a dry engine though. i havent touched my antifreeze in my 02 since i got it.

av3fenix

5+ Year Member
Ok so there are a few (more like a lot) of us 01 civic owners that have the misterious overheat problem. I have troubleshooting this problem on my 2001 civic ex with 80,000 miles since January of 2008 which was when the problem started. I went from big and obvious all the way into small and complex.

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, radiator, radiator hoses, overflow bottle and then came to the conclusion that I was cursed and decided since none of these fixed the problem that I would just put the old stock parts back in and get my money back.

I have figured out that the overheating is caused by too much water in the coolant mixture and a deteriorating radiator cap. The radiator cap will work good enough to keep liquid in but as soon as the system pressurizes and the water boils (due to too much water in the mixture), the steam will leak out causing your coolant level to go low and overheating your engine and also cooking the radiator cap gasket.

REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR CAP AND mix your coolant 75% antifreeze/ 25% water

Hi, thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate it.

Would you care to point some more tips about it? like the amount necessary , and the right way to drain the old mixture out and replace? I've personally been using water for a long time, with little to none coolant every now and then, but I'm not sure the amounts I should use, sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for this info erbilabuc.

jono237

5+ Year Member
i always just buy the premixed bc yea im that lazy and im always worried ill screw it up somehow

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have also had this problem and found this

that our cars dont use the normal amount of oil, they use less
and when in the high rpms the oil doesnt get back down to the bottom of the block fast enough
this also causes it to overheat

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
Here's the problem with mixing coolant at anything other than a 50/50 mix . Anti freeze is designed to work with water to raise the boing point and lower the freezing point . Both on their own do not work very well , but together they work great . The mixture percentage changes the properties of the mixture , with the optimal mixture being a perfect 50/50 . With any other percentage , you lower the boiling point and raise the freezing point .