P0500 Code Only In The Rain

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Girlfriend has a 2000 EX with a stock D16Y8. The motor was swapped out at one point and replaced with the same engine. I was told the entire long block assembly was swapped, as in the current trans came with the current engine.

When there are heavier rains, like yesterday, she gets a CEL and her speedometer stops working or dances around and then just starts working again.

When she got home I pulled a P0500 code, same as the last time this happened.

The last time this happened, I pulled the connection off, there was some corrosion that I cleaned out best I could and then just used a toothpick to clean everything out of it that I could. I pulled the VSS out completely and checked it out. There was no sign of any moisture under the seal, getting into the trans. The gears were oiled fine. I noticed a small amount of play in the gears, I could pull them up and down a small bit on the shaft the spin on. I popped the sensor back in and checked the cable for any cuts or open wire, I wrapped around the connector with electrical tape just in case. The issue didn't resurface for about a month.

The issue seems to just pop up and then go away. She mentions that the speedo will drop out for like 10 miles or so and just pick back up. She mentioned the car runs fine and there's really no issue at all besides the light and the speedo needle.

Since it seems that there is moisture getting into the connection itself somehow, what I'm curious of is, can I put something like dielectric grease in the connection or something? I'm not sure that it's a "proper" fix, but I'm not sure what a proper fix for it would be, short of cutting off the connection and getting a new one. I've already cleaned the connection out of both sides and it snaps together very easily, with no real force at all.

RonJ

Banned
Unplug the VSS connector and use compressed air to thoroughly dry the connector and VSS. Inspect the connector and VSS pins for corrosion or damage. If they look fine, apply dielectric grease to the connector to seal it. Then go from there.

It's not uncommon for the connector pins to get corroded, causing VSS malfunctions. If the problem persists, cut the VSS connector from a junkyard Civic and splice/solder/shrink wrap it into your wire harness.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Unplug the VSS connector and use compressed air to thoroughly dry the connector and VSS. Inspect the connector and VSS pins for corrosion or damage. If they look fine, apply dielectric grease to the connector to seal it. Then go from there.

It's not uncommon for the connector pins to get corroded, causing VSS malfunctions. If the problem persists, cut the VSS connector from a junkyard Civic and splice/solder/shrink wrap it into your wire harness.
I figured this was probably the best route, didn't think of the canned air thing. I couldn't find anyone else who had done this in my searches. I've used dielectric grease for low voltage connections for security cameras and the such, but I get a little weary when it's a vehicle that's relied on for safety.

I didn't even bother pulling the connection off this time, I checked the code and cleared it as she had the issue going in to work and it was fine coming home, same as last time. Driving around last night was fine and she had no issues today. I'll blow it out later and get some dielectric grease in my travels today.

If it pops up again, I'll find a connection for it to replace it. When I cleaned off the corrosion previously, the connecting pins still seemed to be in good shape so I didn't think anything of it.

Thanks much!

myfavecoupe

Definitely use some dielectric grease. It's purpose is to seal out moisture and air, it is not a conductor of electricity like most believe so don't use more than a tiny amount on the surface of the female connector, don't try forcing any down the openings. It'll spread out as the metal makes contact and seal around the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk