Painting Interior

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I just saw someones car last night and he has a 99 Civic EX. Well he painted some of his interior, like his little vent covers, and around the e-brake. I was suprised it looked pretty good. But now his paint is chipping. I am planning on painting my interior in about a couple weeks and i was wondering if anyone had any good tips? Thanks alot

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
the best i heard and saw that didn't chip was to take the pieces out and rub them down with alcohol, let them dry and paint them with engine paint. It isflexible so it doesn't chip.

CiviKid

Post Whoralicious
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use a high high grit sandpaperand sand down the pieces with it....soak your pieces in alcohol or mineral spirits let them dry...then rinse them with water...dry then paint with engine paint or similiar works great

nigizy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what type of finish should go on last so that the paint will not scrach off easy?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
everyone i know that uses engine paint says not to use any type of clearcoat, just paint it and let it dry good.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn well i painted it last night. I used alcohol to clean them, then i used primer and then some paint. I'll post again later to see if it chips. Thanks for the info guys

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "nigizy"

so i should not use any clear coat or finish
:wstupid:
j/k. thats what whats his name said last night. remember?

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you wont need to, its just because you didnt let your paint dry, give it another day

Eric B.

Banned
use 1500 or 1000 grit sandpaper towet sand everything first. then rinse off wipe dry making sure all dust is off wipe with alcohal and paint. Brake caliper paint holds up good but any paint will work with out clearcoat. If using a metallic paint use lots of clear coat.

crxtreme

CRX BOY
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i would judt like to say that what u guys have done is swell but... i went to a dupont dealer and they gave me a certain viynil paint alothough it cost $120 a quart it was well worth it. It is teh same colour as the outside it is lemans sunset (350 Z) anyways its a metalic and i just bought a clear coat to put on top of that from dupont as well. I also used for my vents white trimclad SILICONE base paint b/c it stands up to everything so good luck

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HOLY s**t 120 bucks!!! I would rather spend 8 bucks and let it last for a year, and then do it again. But its your car man

Crystal

Florida Civic Gal
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by 92CivicVX
HOLY s**t 120 bucks!!! I would rather spend 8 bucks and let it last for a year, and then do it again. But its your car man
:werd:

SISCO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't used it yet but Krylon supposidly came out with a new paint that is supposed to be awesome for plastic. It is said to bond right to the plastic, but i haven't used it yet. but i also used vinyl paint in my older hot rod on the interior for the door panels and such and it still looks great and it's been about 2 years. and it wasn't 120 bucks a quart, it was just a spray can.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i didnt even use the new krylon that sticks to plastic. I used regular paint and worked fine. Just try it out, its da cheapest way to go and probably looks all the same as the vinyl paint

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most aftermarket places have covers that go over the top of your stuff and some replace it with whatever color u want... depends on whatcha wanna spend...

perry

the prodigal child
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you wanna paint all that plastic and vinyl in your car....
the only way to go is vinyl dyes. it wont chip, cause it actually dyes that material to whatever color you want. It comes in a spray can like paint, and there is a company in minnisota that can mix and can it for you.