Parts: Aftermarket vs. Genuine Honda?

i1745058

Respected
Hello all,

What parts do you buy aftermarket vs genuine Honda, for the car you drive daily?
Also, my '96 civic manual says to use 5w-30 engine oil; what brand and/or type would you recommend?

Thanks!

i1745058

Respected
I was not referring to any specific parts, because some folks know the parts they only want genuine Honda so I wanted to leave it open ended. What are your rules of thumb; what parts do you ONLY want genuine Honda?

Why full synthetic? What about "High Mileage"? What brand do you use?

i1745058

Respected
K.I.S.S. :thumbup: No one's asking for a comprehensive list.

My goals? :2confused To find out what brand and/or type of 5w-30 engine oil is recommend, by users of this board, for my '96 civic. :thumbs up

i1745058

Respected
Why are you even wasting our time, if you're not even going to try to answer? Perhaps, you can give someone else a chance to chime in, if they wish. You'll do better by learning to just move on, when you have nothing of value to add.

i1745058

Respected
back on point....

Hello to all others, who may wish to share,

What parts do you buy aftermarket vs genuine Honda, for the car you drive daily?
Also, my '96 civic manual says to use 5w-30 engine oil; what brand and/or type would you recommend?

Thanks!

i1745058

Respected
^Haha...Use of the "royal we". Do you have a multi-person account?

Your open ended questions lacking any apparent focus or purpose makes it quite clear who is trying to waste whose time.

So, back on point.

Why do you prefer high mileage oil over full synthetic oil in your 96 Civic?

Do you generally feel that aftermarket parts are inferior to Honda parts for your 96 Civic?
Forgot about this site, after you effectively hijacked and ended this thread but just came across it and wanted to stop back, for any other users, who you referred to as "royal we", who might be interested in a similar topic elsewhere, on the open ended question "What parts do YOU buy aftermarket or OEM?". It's no longer active and a bit dated from Jun 22, 2015 but with 42 posts, provides, at least, some feedback. That said, IMHO open ended questions are only a waste of time, to a closed mind...See ya!
Happy New Year to all! :beer:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello all,

Some things I have had done recently :
Rotors and pads - Wagner cermaic pads and coated rotors.
If I need an exhaust for a daily driver, I'd have one custom made out of stainless and add a Borla or RSX Type S muffler.
Thermostat - I went with OEM Honda.
Any belts I would go with Gates or Honda.
Oil, I run a synthetic Blend, Valvoline or Castrol, or whatever name brand is on sale. Change every 4-5k miles.
OEM Honda oil filter or Purolator.

i1745058

Respected
Some things I have had done recently :
Rotors and pads - Wagner cermaic pads and coated rotors.
If I need an exhaust for a daily driver, I'd have one custom made out of stainless and add a Borla or RSX Type S muffler.
Thermostat - I went with OEM Honda.
Any belts I would go with Gates or Honda.
Oil, I run a synthetic Blend, Valvoline or Castrol, or whatever name brand is on sale. Change every 4-5k miles.
OEM Honda oil filter or Purolator.
Thanks, for sharing...
Well, that joker appears to be have disappeared, from thread...Thanks, Mods!
That said, and fwiw, here are some things I've gotten, for a 96 civic ex, over the years:

OEM Honda:
Radiator & hoses
Wheel bearing (fr d/s)
Power steering rack + outer tie rods, l/r
Water pump, timing belt & Tensioner w/ spring, oil seals
Brake pads/rotors
Master cylinder
Power window regulator
Tune up: ie Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor
Oil filter: Filtech
Horn button assy.
Switch body
Hoses, belts, weather stripping, seals, gaskets, o-rings, springs
Fluids: P/S, brake, tranny & coolant (type 2)
Washers: Drain plugs (oil pan & tranny) + valve cover

Aftermarket:
Muffler: Walker Quiet-Flow, Limited lifetime warranty
A/C Compressor: Denso, 2 year warranty
A/C: Evaporator, expansion valve & drier/receiver: Unknown brands, supplied by auto a/c guy w/ 1 yr warranty.
Axle (fr d/s): Raxles.com, talk to Marty ;) Limited lifetime warranty, pre-paid return shipping label, for core.
Starter: Carquest, Limited lifetime warranty
Air filter: Fram
Oil: Castrol GTX Ultraclean synthetic blend 5W-30

Last edited: