Password JDM 96-00 fog light wiring kit help!!!!!

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have oem jdm ek4 fog lights that I bought without a wiring kit. I found out that password jdm made a wiring ki-t for OEM 96-00 fog lights that is plug and play, or so they say. I just received it today (after waiting a month) and went to install it and realized it does not plug and play. Did I get the wrong wiring kit? To me it does not look anything like the one they show on their website, but more like the cheap depo wiring kit that comes with the password JDM Depo-brand 96-98 fog lights. On top of everything not working out, they did not supply any instructions, so I was using the round fog light installation manual from HONDA found here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/instal/aii/pages/civic/1998/18767_04.html

Password JDM 96-00? fog light wiring harness

doesnt look like the kit on their site!! http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Fog-Light-Wiring-Harness-EK-96-00-Civic-P2316C320.aspx

Password JDM 96-00? fog light under-dash harness?

close-up of the password jdm fog light wiring harness fog light plug

oem stanley ek4 fog light plug (notice that it is similar to the pw:jdm plug but a lot bigger and therefore will not plug and play!

pic of honda oem engine bay harness for fog lights (notice how there is no female plug included anywhere in the password jdm kit to plug this into!!

This wiring kit actually looks a lot more like this one that comes with the DEPO-brand PW:JDM 96-98 fog lights seen here

and not the one I ordered seen here

nowhere in my kit is there any green plugs. also, from the PW:JDM description of plug and play and improved harness it does not sound like I was sent the correct wiring kit. Especially since there is what looks like a red power wire for the battery.

Can anyone please help me figure this out?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
look sot me like youve already figured it out man lol

i dont know much about the harnesses, but the kit you have looks to be the 6th gen kit, and im guessin the 5th gen would be different...idk, call pwjdm and see if you cant ship that s**t back.

dwoodson87

ProtekYaNeck
5+ Year Member
I would try and ask an auto-electronics shop, and see if they can tell you anything without them charging you for some work.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
call password jdm. idk whats going on with the connectors for the actual foglights themselves.

as far as the red plug goes you don't plug in by the windshield fluid bottle. i ordered my DEPO kit from ebay and that harness also came with a male plug. the instructions that came with the harness were telling me to plug in by the windshield fluid bottle, but after i investigated, there are several female plugs located underneath the fusebox inside the car, under the steering column. turns out that my harness was long enough for that plug to reach through my firewall and plug into it. but by the looks of your harness it doesnt seem like theres enough length on that plug to reach that far...

if your looking into resolving this yourself i would try and see if theres enough slack to reach through the firewall. if not, extend that red plug, at least that will get power through the harness all hooked up and functional, and then to go from there figure out what you want to do with the fog light plugs.

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as it turns out PW:JDM sent me the only wiring harness they currently carry which is the DEPO brand wiring kit.

The one I ordered (bottom picture) that is considered to be a plug and play kit is one they no longer carry at PW:JDM.

Be careful ordering from password JDM! I am able to return this kit but a lot of time was wasted waiting for and figuring out what do with this DEPO wiring kit.

I still don't know what I will do as far as wiring up my stanley fog lights. Either I will have to pay even more money to make this DEPO wiring kit into a plug and play, or I will return it and search for an Esuse wiring kit or another truly plug and play kit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm i love my pwjdm fog lights. wiring was super easy. it looks like the only problem you may have is connecting to the oem fogs. The brown plug, plugs under the dash in the fuse box. it would be a pain in the ass but you could fab the kit to work. also all the wires are long enough to tuck behind your fenders =) no fabing needed

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So yesterday (Friday) I began to convert the DEPO (password JDM) fog light wiring harness into an OEM-style fog light wiring harness.

With a trip to the Pick and Pull I was able to collect all the extra plugs I needed to make this kit plug and play! so the DEPO fog light plugs are now my OEM ones, both of the fog light power wires (white with red) are now connected to the engine bay harness (with brown plugs fog lights to under hood engine bay harness, under dash engine bay harness to relay). The DEPO switch plug is now my OEM switch plug (luckily it was included with my OEM fog light switch).

With a lot of searching I think I understand the differences between the two harnesses and from what I can tell my DEPO harness is now OEM style, soldered and all.

the fog light section of the oem harness section was easy enough to recreate and it is now plugged into the engine bay harness plug (located behind the washer fluid reservoir). The relay and fuse part is now hooked up to the switch harness where what used to be the direct battery connection wire (red) will now plug into the fuse box (option1 [+B]) for 12V constant power. The white DEPO wire with brown plug from the switch harness will go into option2 [dash lights] as directed, this is the same for both OEM and DEPO I believe. The relay and switch will both ground under the dash now, hidden from sight.

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
THANKS!
This thread shows basically the wiring setup that I just created today out of my DEPO harness.
My only question is if I plug the main 12V fog light plug (or "power1" in the hondacivicforum thread) into the option4 [IG2] spot will the 30A fuse that is on the fog light harness be sufficient since the option4 [IG2] fuse is only 7.5A, whereas the option1 [+B] has a 40A fuse?

I do like the idea that the fog lights only work when the ignition is in position 2.

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ended up plugging the 12V relay power wire into Option1 [+B] and the switch light power into option2 [dash lights]. The Fog lights turn on when the headlight switch is turned on to parking lights, low beams, and high beams. The fog lights will not come on if the headlights are turned off so I am happy with that.

The only problem I ran into was that the light on my fog light switch does not illuminate when the fog lights are turned on and the dash lights are on. Of course it is possible the bulb in the switch is dead. Anyone have any idea why this is?

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The only problem I ran into was that the light on my fog light switch does not illuminate when the fog lights are turned on and the dash lights are on. Of course it is possible the bulb in the switch is dead. Anyone have any idea why this is?
yeah the bulb can be burnt or you're not getting power to your switch

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
PROBLEMS SOLVED!

The switch light now works after I changed the bulb inside the switch.

thanks to all those who helped!

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New Problem!!!!

I went to turn on my fog lights the other night and they would not come on. The switch light illuminates, but no fog lights (on any headlight setting).

Today I checked it out by checking all fuses in the fog light circuit (wiring kit fuse, fuse box Option fuses (fuse 30 for dash lights) and fuse 54 (option +B) and they look fine. The relay makes the clicking noise when the switch is pressed. I tried moving the fog light power plug from Option +B to Option ACC and then to Option IG2 and they still would not come on. I have not checked the bulbs but I was doubting that was the issue since both fog lights will not turn on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

305ej6

5+ Year Member
New Problem!!!!

I went to turn on my fog lights the other night and they would not come on. The switch light illuminates, but no fog lights (on any headlight setting).

Today I checked it out by checking all fuses in the fog light circuit (wiring kit fuse, fuse box Option fuses (fuse 30 for dash lights) and fuse 54 (option +B) and they look fine. The relay makes the clicking noise when the switch is pressed. I tried moving the fog light power plug from Option +B to Option ACC and then to Option IG2 and they still would not come on. I have not checked the bulbs but I was doubting that was the issue since both fog lights will not turn on.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I have the same exact problem ... and I checked both bulbs and they are good. I have a post on this section about my problems and cant figure it out either

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check connections. i had a problem like this kinda with my hids and it was the power wires. by the fuse thats inline it came out

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I checked the fuses and all the wiring. The fuses are all good, the wiring does have voltage throughout but it does get lower towards the fog lights. from the engine bay harness the fog light wiring is down to about 10.7V. It seems that all the plugs have good connection. The Fog light bulbs are good, they turn on fine with direct 12V battery power, but when hooked up to the fog light wiring kit they do not turn on.

Does anyone think this could be a problem with the relay, or could it be a loose ground connection?

the relay looks like its in good shape, no corrosion on the connections, it clicks when the switch is pressed.

any thoughts?

blarue09

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I moved my fog light ground wire (ground for both lamps) to a stock grounding location on the driver's side of the frame, near the A/C condenser.

The fog lights are back up and running now!!.

The grounding spot on the bumper i had used, for some reason, worked before but with a bunch of testing no longer works.