pcv explaing needed

d-proff

5+ Year Member
I need some help understanding something hopefully someone can help.I noticed the other day when I removed my aem air filter to blow out some of the dirt and bugs that a small puddle of oil was sitting there at the end of my intake tube. First thought was man I need a catch can I dnt want all this oil in my intake after a fresh build.so I decided to do some reading and according to some threads the air goes from the intake to the valve cover.I always thought it was vice versa because there is no other explanation for the oil in my intake.I need someone to please help clear this to me n is a catch can a good idea

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a catch can wouldnt be needed. you can put a plug on the nipple on your intake arm and put a small filter on your valve cover

d-proff

5+ Year Member
Now see a few threads said that was a bad idea due to a bunch of pcv stuff I dnt really understand yet is it true its a bad idea or does it have no effect

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not worth it. My old car was boosted and I didn't even have an oil catch can.

d-proff

5+ Year Member
Could my pcv system be bad causeing that much oil to be going into my intake system or is it normal

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Little bit of oil is ok. But if your pcv valve is old id recommend doing that too. You should be fine though. If you are really worries you can still do a catch can/ breather box. I recommend doing it from the block though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have read both good and bad about putting a filter on the valve cover. Supposedly it screws with the pressure since the air is "supposed" to be vented back through to the intake system. My friend put a small filter on his H22 several months ago. I'm not sure if he runs it anymore but he did it more for show.

You can run a catch can but I don't think there really is a point unless you're pushing a good amount of power out and/or are boosted.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can I get the PVC valve at any parts store or dealer only.
I'm sorry, I was talking about something different. I thought you were talking about putting a filter on the valve cover for some reason. I see now you mean you want to the catch can between the PCV valve and intake manifold. My bad.

It's like $5 from the dealer last I checked.

d-proff

5+ Year Member
Ok so I took my pcv valve out n it's dry should it be dry or oily if oily do I need to replace the box its connected to and what's the correct term for the black box and would a b16 box work?