Photo Contest Ideas - Let's hear them!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thats just it. Sunsets are different every where you go. Not everyone could get in on the abandon buildings so i dont see why this would be a huge issue. But whatever im down for shooting just about anything.
Valid point. I didn't think it would be that hard of a topic honestly. I've seen them everywhere on my few but various trips around the northeast.

-Things that make you smile
-Sounds ("how do you photograph sounds?" This could be a fun one..)
Love both.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like sunsets but think that should be one for the summer, not when its cold as balls and nobody wants to be outside. This is if its not raining out and the sun is actually out.

Things that make you smile could be an interesting. Kind of like the idea of shapes. Like pick circle, triangle, square, etc and find an object that looks like that.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like sunsets but think that should be one for the summer, not when its cold as balls and nobody wants to be outside. This is if its not raining out and the sun is actually out.
You obviously don't live in FL :cool:

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure if this has been said but... Panning shots. Cars, people, airplanes, anything moving and having a streaking type background. Difficult to do well but easily available for everyone to do.

XcLuSiVeLy4GoD

ODP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eomtion. Colors (like a theme blue.) motion. multitudes. ant's view. wind. warm. cold. parts of the face (i.e. eyes, noses, ears, mouths) sleep. morning. just some thoughts... oooo that one too, thoughts...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bumping this for fresh ideas. Maybe we can get contests going again?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man I haven't shot in a LONG time...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Churches? Scenic routes?
It could work depending on the environment for those that wish to enter contests, if we even get that far.

Like I was doing before, I'd like to try to get generic themes that everyone could participate in.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It could work depending on the environment for those that wish to enter contests, if we even get that far.

Like I was doing before, I'd like to try to get generic themes that everyone could participate in.
Could do something like Road Shots instead of scenic routes since not everyone would have those close by.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How are these for suggestions?

1. Police Stations (preferably not from the impound lot)
2. Gas Stations
3. Sunrises
4. School/College Campuses

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd enjoy trying this again.
:thumbs up

How are these for suggestions?

1. Police Stations (preferably not from the impound lot)
2. Gas Stations
3. Sunrises
4. School/College Campuses
1 and 2 are interesting... It'd definitely be a challenge trying to get something artistic out of those. 3 and 4 are more favorable IMO out of all of those choices though.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I haven't gotten to play with a DSLR since I sold my 5D :( I could steal the gf's T3i and play around. I think this would be awesome to get my moving again. I'm down.

And I shoot anything but I kind of like
Point of View
Depth of Field
Not sure what you call it, but like where something is pretty close to you and your shot makes it look like it's as big as the things in the background. I guess a stupid example would be the people trying to "hold up" the leaning tower of Pisa

I was really trying to get into the automotive motion shots like drifting shots kinda. Since I have Drift Alliance in my backyard pactically and Wall Stadium (The Gauntlet) down the road, there's always something going on.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stealing some ideas from the Chrysler employee photo contest that we have every year:

"My vehicle, my community": a photo of your vehicle in your community, favorite place, home, wherever. Background is most important in this photo but its cool how your vehicle must be a part of it.

"My favorite ride": a photo of your favorite vehicle - past or present. Can showoff the entire vehicle or just focus on a specific feature. Photo should highlight the vehicle more than the background/setting. Photo should reflect pride and passion for the vehicle.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stealing some ideas from the Chrysler employee photo contest that we have every year:

"My vehicle, my community": a photo of your vehicle in your community, favorite place, home, wherever. Background is most important in this photo but its cool how your vehicle must be a part of it.

"My favorite ride": a photo of your favorite vehicle - past or present. Can showoff the entire vehicle or just focus on a specific feature. Photo should highlight the vehicle more than the background/setting. Photo should reflect pride and passion for the vehicle.
I like both of those ideas! If I had to choose, I like the "my vehicle, my community" one. Awesome way to learn about where members live too.