Picked up a new car... because race car

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the function and form type 1 coilover, 10k front and 6k rear.
I'm in between either the 99-00 civic si oem rear sway, or the 22mm itr rear sway.
Will the itr sway d brackets bolt up to the mounting points on the ek asr brace? I've seen in some pics I e searched they look like they do.
I will also have to use heim endlinks cause the f7 arms are too beefy for regular fixed oem links.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes sir they do, the eg/dc2 set comes with 8k rears and 10k fronts. I'm thinking of contacting auto life and seeing if they would sell one pair of 8k springs for my rear.

I just found that the asr brace is compatable with the asr bar and 22/23mm itr bar.

Now I plan to use the 22mm itr bar. I'll pick one up later from jhpusa. Do I need the metal bushing adapters with heim endlinks or will it work like it is? I know its not the length of the endlink bolts that is the issue, but the width of them.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes sir they do, the eg/dc2 set comes with 8k rears and 10k fronts. I'm thinking of contacting auto life and seeing if they would sell one pair of 8k springs for my rear.

I just found that the asr brace is compatable with the asr bar and 22/23mm itr bar.

Now I plan to use the 22mm itr bar. I'll pick one up later from jhpusa. Do I need the metal bushing adapters with heim endlinks or will it work like it is? I know its not the length of the endlink bolts that is the issue, but the width of them.
Yeah the 22mm bar should bolt up just fine with the ASR brace. With those spring rates, you'll be fine. The car will be a little more neutral with handling. By metal bushing adaptors, do you mean the d-brackets for the swaybar to the brace? You should be able to use the OEM ITR endlinks, but I highly suggest using the ASR or Function7 spherical endlinks. The adjutability of those endlinks will make the mounting position more favorable.

Small update, dropped the Enkies and new shaved R1R's off at my local Radial Tire Co. to have the tires mounted and balanced. Picking them up tomorrow..

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah the 22mm bar should bolt up just fine with the ASR brace. With those spring rates, you'll be fine. The car will be a little more neutral with handling. By metal bushing adaptors, do you mean the d-brackets for the swaybar to the brace? You should be able to use the OEM ITR endlinks, but I highly suggest using the ASR or Function7 spherical endlinks. The adjutability of those endlinks will make the mounting position more favorable. .
Thank you very much, I read a couple of your posts on honda tech regarding it when I searched, and your response helped me out a bunch. After installing the 13mm on my brothers 95 4door, it made a huge difference! Would it be possible to mount an 99-00 si rear bar to my ek with the asr sub frame and the endlinks you mentioned? I really like the handling of his car now, and the si bar from majestic would be cheaper.
Also what are some maintenance suggestions for the heim style link?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really appreciate your insight, being more experienced with different set ups.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you very much, I read a couple of your posts on honda tech regarding it when I searched, and your response helped me out a bunch. After installing the 13mm on my brothers 95 4door, it made a huge difference! Would it be possible to mount an 99-00 si rear bar to my ek with the asr sub frame and the endlinks you mentioned? I really like the handling of his car now, and the si bar from majestic would be cheaper.
Also what are some maintenance suggestions for the heim style link?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really appreciate your insight, being more experienced with different set ups.
You could but it'll take a little digging to find the right d-brackets and bushings that will fit. But as a direct bolt on, the 13mm swaybar won't work with the ASR brace. The ASR brace was designed to work with 22mm+ swaybars due to the larger bushings/brackets because the bar is so thick. Since the Si bar is only 13mm, you would need oversized bushings and some universal type d-brackets.

The ASR and Function7 endlinks also won't work with the 13mm swaybar. The way they mount to the ends of the swaybar are different than the larger swaybars. If you look at the OEM endlinks for the 13mm swaybar and the ITR 22mm swaybar, they are different. Those style endlinks take a little bit of maintenance, just keeping them lubricated. Being spherical, they will wear out faster with street use and will probably end up making noises.

But anyways, you don't need any brace if you're using a 13mm swaybar.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okey dokey. Thank you very much, I was just worried that the itr bar would be too much oversteer, the front bar is 22mm also. You said it would be neutral, but I e never driven a neutral handling honda so I'm not familiar with it. I do drive spirited in the foothills, and so far I'm only used to the traditional honda understeer feel.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
With those rates, you'll be fine. With equal spring rates or lower in the front, higher in the rear, then you'll definitely have an oversteer biased setup.

Just don't drive like an a$$ and you'll be fine.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, the endlinks will come with everything you need. Just bolt them on and go. I have a 22mm ITR bar on my '95 EX with Function7 endlinks. Bought the endlinks and put them right on, no problem.

Here some pictures from my setup on my '95 to show you

Keep them well lubricated and clean and they should last a while. Otherwise they will begin to wear out and make noises. That's the drawback to using any spherical type bushing, they wear out faster(particularly on the street) and make noises.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh and little update, picked up my wheels/tires from Radial Tire Co that they mounted/balanced. They gave me a killer discounted price :D. They sponsor our local region so they give some awesome prices to us.

My dog approves =)

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:rolf::rolf::rolf: ^^^

Thank you very much for all your help. I really do appreciate it, I was stuck on what to do.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sparco passenger side seat base came in. Will FINALLY be able to install the Sparco seat that I've had for a year.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's great! I'm going to mod my Interior last. I was looking at corbeau seats, anything really wrong with getting a set of A4's?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's great! I'm going to mod my Interior last. I was looking at corbeau seats, anything really wrong with getting a set of A4's?
Corbeau makes some good seats, I have one as the driver seat but it's a fixed back. Go for it.

Another update from today. My Unorthodox Racing pulleys came today. The crankshaft AND alternator pulley together weigh a whopping 12.8 OUNCES :shock: I'm not sure but I believe the stock crank pulley might be around 6lbs, I'll weigh it when it's off.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Geez, that's crazy. Are you worried about unbalancing the crankshaft at all?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Geez, that's crazy. Are you worried about unbalancing the crankshaft at all?
I'll quote my response I wrote to a friend on facebook to pretty much the same question he had:

I was a little hesitant at first as I've been reading for a while now what people say about these pulleys. But from what I've personally seen and the response that I got from an Unorthodox Racing representative on their pulleys, I went ahead and decided to get the set.

Every discussion I've read about the pulleys(for Honda's since that's pretty much all I read about), people say they are bad. Yet I've never seen someone post first hand experience of a failure with proof. Then I see TONS of the same exact Civic I run with some sort of aftermarket/custom under drive pulley. Seems to me like they aren't having much of an issue. I'm not even sure with this particular motor if the pulley has a damper built in the stock unit(haven't looked at it close enough yet).

As for the answer from UR, they said:
"As for the damper issue it is a wild urban myth. We have now been offering our pulleys for 16 years now with over a trillion miles driven from simple under 100 HP Civics to 1700HP Supras with no adverse effects. Honda has used solid pulleys from day one all the way through Integra Type R models. Porsche uses a solid pulley on the GT3 models to no ill effect. Once our new site is fully operational there will be more FAQ and blog info that covers these fears at all levels.

We've had access to engine development facilities of a few OE's to back up our facts about solid pulleys being safe. Ultimately an internal combustion engine is a pretty straight forward animal, there are some differences based on architect which influences harmonic signatures but ultimately it is the quality of the internal components that determines longevity. Considering we've spent much of the last 7 years developing, refining and getting our new Damper Technology (The Ultra Damper) patented we feel confident we know exactly what we are talking about. Our Ultra Damper program is specifically designed for engines, the domestic V8, that are inherently in need of damping. More facts about the need for a damper will be available for reading in the near future on our site."

So with all that, I feel OK with putting the pulley kit on the car. Obviously only time will tell what happens... We will see. Worst case scenario, I have to buy a new d16a6 for $500... Maybe less..