pistons, rods

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm trying to build a short block for my d16...what size pistons do i get and what's it mean when somebody sez get them 20 over? and what kind pistons and rods are good? since i'm gonna have it bored and honed, do i still have to get new sleeves? and i understand it's good to do it all at once but is it ok to have all that done and then do the porting and polishing later?

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh yeah...and where's a good place to get 'em? like online?

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
weisco, je, crower pistons are pretty good. .20 over means the pistons will fit the 1.6 thats bored .2 over..... crower rods and eagle rods are good. i really wouldnt spend the money on boring a d tho, as much as i love the d, i jus wouldnt.

Sound Streamin'

Boost or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get slightly oversized. You will want to hone the block slightly in order for the rings to seat properly

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sound Streamin' said:
Get slightly oversized. You will want to hone the block slightly in order for the rings to seat properly
not to thread jack, but did you get your turbo b18c done yet?

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got a link here for the pistons...http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/pistons_srp.shtml#d16y8 ...so which one is the .2 over? and i'm not really well knowledged with the compressions and other things on that table. can somebody help me out...thanks!

so which compression is good for boost? 10:5:1 or 9:0:1? and i noticed that even the valves can be oversized...how do go about doing that too?

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
9.0:1 will be better...........but why a D RSandawg.....all that money could go into a DOHC...

btw: Port & Polish is head work.

24-7

E Engineering
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RSanDawg said:
i'm trying to build a short block for my d16...what size pistons do i get and what's it mean when somebody sez get them 20 over? and what kind pistons and rods are good? since i'm gonna have it bored and honed, do i still have to get new sleeves? and i understand it's good to do it all at once but is it ok to have all that done and then do the porting and polishing later?

I'm using Ross 77mm 12:1 pistons and Crower rods. Darton sleeves and the crank is being cryogenicly frozen.

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
9.0:1 will be better...........but why a D RSandawg.....all that money could go into a DOHC...

btw: Port & Polish is head work.
coz i've already put so much money on my d...so i don't really have much of a choice anymore.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
RSanDawg said:
coz i've already put so much money on my d...so i don't really have much of a choice anymore.
Im kinda sorry to hear that....You could sell it to someone you know and then get a B/H....Passwordjdm.com has a complete H22A swap for $2499.

Ravage70

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped the day u realize the potential/the budget advantage of the d is the day ull understand why a v8 is better than a 4 cylinder

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you have to do a d, sleeve it with ge sleeves. 77mm bore. wiseco pistons, ge, crower rods. between that and labor, your lookin at about 3 grand to 3500, for just the shortblock, and you will have to do significant head work. a full p&p job, new valvetrain, cam, etc. thats an easy 2 grand or more. then you need another 2-3 grand for a lsd, axles, and a cryo treat/ shot peening of your gears, as d series trannys arent made to handle that kinda hp. or you can just sell your d, get a stock b series, boost it to 250 whp or so which they can all hold reliably. you cant put down more than 250 or so whp on a street tires anyway, so whats the point of a 350 whp d series. and the unequal length axles create tons of torque steer with that much boost. still wanna build your d?

B18aturbo-teg

The one and only!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My buddy on here...this months ROTM....shameless plug...has a d' series set-up...he runs 76mm Aries piston's, and Eagle H-beam rods....and it works well..

BlackEX99

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant wait to boost my d16y8, i like keeping things sort a stock in the ex.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Todd said:
yes, yes i do
right on! I'm really reading up on boosted D's lately. the B's are over priced. and you can get much more power out of a boosted D for far less money!

slz33

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
if you have to do a d, sleeve it with ge sleeves. 77mm bore. wiseco pistons, ge, crower rods. between that and labor, your lookin at about 3 grand to 3500, for just the shortblock, and you will have to do significant head work. a full p&p job, new valvetrain, cam, etc. thats an easy 2 grand or more. then you need another 2-3 grand for a lsd, axles, and a cryo treat/ shot peening of your gears, as d series trannys arent made to handle that kinda hp. or you can just sell your d, get a stock b series, boost it to 250 whp or so which they can all hold reliably. you cant put down more than 250 or so whp on a street tires anyway, so whats the point of a 350 whp d series. and the unequal length axles create tons of torque steer with that much boost. still wanna build your d?
Not related to link... Handlebarsfsr, ive read many of your replies and admire your knowledge. You said a B could handle 250whp reliably, can you kindly give me an example of such setup.
I have a gsr halfcut arriving shortly, but there are SO many products out there for a b series i dont know which to choose from. Could someone help? Would jdm itr pistons for $250aud be beneficial towards boosting? I am leaning towards boosting, so i suppose i shouldnt touch engine, exhaust work until i saved up enough for a custom turbo kit.. Btw for NA cars, it is good to have 2.25in exhaust, what about turbo vtec?

Exospeed*com

exospeed.com
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
20 over means the size about .5 mm bigger than the stock size. so lets say the stock pistons are 75mm, the oversized pistons are 75.5mm bore and the block will need to be bore and honed to that size.

as far as brands, we use Arias and Eagle rods on most of our builds. Eagle rods are good and at the right price. Arias pistons are great as well for the price and quality is top notch.

we do sleeving as well and its not necesarry if you arent going big bore on the pistons or if you are on low boost. I do recommend sleeving only when you plan to go high boost at about 14+psi on a d-series.