Popping out of second gear

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I just bought my first civic and also first manual transmission car. So far I'm loving it, but there is one thing that's slightly annoying. I have to hold second gear in, or else it pops out. The previous owner I believe said it was an engine mount bushing that needed replaced, and it was causing the engine to be a little loose and torque, pulling second out of gear. Does this sound like a plausible cause, and if so, how could I check/get it fixed? Thanks.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds more like a transmission issue to me and that he just tried lying to you to sell the car off to be someone elses problem.

But then again it could be something loose. Look under the car at everything. The shift linkage, transmission mounts, etc.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I can feel pull on the stick when it's in 2nd or 4th. I don't know if that's normal or not. Like I said, I'm a total car noob and this is my first stick. My dad has a mechanic friend, so I'll probably let him take a look at it.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
when you shift into second do you have to hold it there so it doesn't pop out while your going down the road or do you have to hold it there because its loose and just wont stay?

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If I'm accelerating it's fine, but if I let off the gas or hit the brake, it pops out, so I usually just hold it in second. Like I said, I can feel it getting pulled on when I let off the gas.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i see it sounds like a slightly loose linkage to me their not hard to fix.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Sounds like the motor mount (probly rear), its a pretty common symptom of a bad one. Sometimes an easy check is to just pop the hood, grab the motor, then push and pull on it. I've seen a few cars with swaps where the bolt had come loose and fell out.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like the motor mount (probly rear), its a pretty common symptom of a bad one. Sometimes an easy check is to just pop the hood, grab the motor, then push and pull on it. I've seen a few cars with swaps where the bolt had come loose and fell out.
This would make sense as it has had a motor swap/replacement.