Possible new to me 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe

dslpow3r

Respected
Hey everyone, first time poster and need some input and thoughts if you would buy this vehicle. So I have been looking for a commuter vehicle since I drive around 100 miles a day for work and my 2018 truck is racking up the miles quickly. I came across a 1995 Civic Coupe EX 5 speed manual transmission. I'm mechanically inclined and will be able to fix most of the current noticeable issues myself. This is what I know about the car.

- Currently has 144000 miles on the odometer, however current owner says the speedo is intermittent. (replace speed sensor most likely)
- Looks like I will be the third owner, and he wants 1,000 for the car
- No accidents (reported) and title is clear
- Clean interior for being 23 years old, no holes, no significant spots, all windows work, sunroof works, speakers and radio works.
- No trouble lights on in the gauge cluster, they all do come on prior to starting so no bulbs are out.
- Gas gauge is stuck on full (which is fine, will check the fuel pump for ground if I buy car)
- Radiator flushed/ hoses replaced on 2013 (have receipt)
- New Clutch in 2012 (have receipt)
- Failed emissions due to low compression, was fixed in 2014 and has passed ever since (have receipt)
- New Battery 3 months ago (have receipt)
- Will need to repack/replace CV boots and get the front end aligned (wearing on both inner front tires)
- Will need a new paint job (nothing some sandpaper, and a DIY paint job cant handle
- Some of the weather stripping will need to replaced.
- water pump and belt was replaced in 2012.
- Checking underneath there are no oil leaks under or around the motor at all.
- rear tires are fine, but will replace all four when I get the vehicle aligned.

The guy drove it up from 250 miles out through hilly highways and didn't have any issues. I have driven the car and other than this squeak sound coming from the passenger rear after going over speed bumps, it doesn't seem to make any out of the ordinary noises. There are a ton of receipts in the glove box that cover maintenance over the last 10 years or so. Like I said this will be a commuter car for me, and really just want to know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I know I will need to do regular maintenance but I have read numerous posts that these cars will last. Sorry for the long post, but just looking for thoughts if you would purchase, thank you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How's the condition of the body? Any rust? That would sell instantly up here in NY if were rust free, lol.

Honestly that seems like a pretty good deal. It sounds like you're mechanically inclined and have already identified most issues with the car. Clutch, water pump, and timing belt were done so that's great. It appears that it's been maintained well, and you've driven it and it's mostly good. I'd say go for it. You might be paying slightly more than normal for a 23 year old car, but at the same time, it's likely in better condition than most, mechanically speaking.

dslpow3r

Respected
Thanks for the reply. The body seems to be in good shape no dents, or missing parts (trim pieces). There are 4 tiny specks of surface rust near the passenger tail light, but I figured with me sanding, priming, and repainting the car that would take care of itself.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Car seems legitimately solid and mechanically sound.
Pay the man $1k, drive it an maintain it.
As for the paint imperfections, I wouldn't even bother with it. Drive the car, enjoy the reliability and fuel mileage.