Power steering fluid

Fusion158

I have a 2004 Civic EX. While changing the bulbs over the weekend I noticed that the power steering fluid was low. I was wondering is there any specific power steering fluid I need to use or can I use something from Royal Purple, Prestone etc. If I can use a third party fluid any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Vtec Missing

You have to use honda brand power steering fluid only or power steering fluid made for honda. I picked up some power steering fluid autozone the other day called Accel power steering fluid for honda vehicles. I hear if you use anything else you could mess up your power steering system

RonJ

Banned
Where is your power steering fluid leaking from? Do you see fluid coming from either rubber boot that covers the inner tie rods?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's what the Helms says but I've been running on Oreilly's power steering fluid for over 16k miles and no problems. Just me though, I'd say get honda too if possible.

Fusion158

As far as I can see there is no leak; there is no oil dripping on the drive where the car is parked. My wife of 1 month has had the car since 2004 and I only moved over to the US in January so only getting time to look at the car properly now; learning how to do some of the easier maintenance etc. I don't know if the power steering oil has ever been topped up or changed or what ever as she's not much of a car person, normally just goes to the Honda garage.

I was just doing further research and I saw that some fluids are formulated for Honda's. Would these be a good alternative or for best peace of mind just stick with the Honda fluid? I don't mind paying a little more if it's safer in the long run.

RonJ

Banned
That's what the Helms says but I've been running on Oreilly's power steering fluid for over 16k miles and no problems. Just me though, I'd say get honda too if possible.
The issue as I understand it is that non-Honda PS fluids can cause the rack end seals to leak. Not regularly replacing the PS fluid can have the same effect. When the rack end seals leak, you need to replace the rack, which is a pain in the ars.

RonJ

Banned
As far as I can see there is no leak; there is no oil dripping on the drive where the car is parked. My wife of 1 month has had the car since 2004 and I only moved over to the US in January so only getting time to look at the car properly now; learning how to do some of the easier maintenance etc. I don't know if the power steering oil has ever been topped up or changed or what ever as she's not much of a car person, normally just goes to the Honda garage.
Crawl under the car and inspect the steering rack and its boots for a fluid leak, which is the only way that the fluid level would drop in the reservoir.

Fusion158

Crawl under the car and inspect the steering rack and its boots for a fluid leak, which is the only way that the fluid level would drop in the reservoir.
Will do, I'll give it a good going over after she get's home from work. I'll still top up the reservoir just to make sure there is enough fluid to keep everything running smooth. Thanks for all the help so far, so glad I found this site :D

Fusion158

Got the Honda fluid and got it back up to the full mark. Checked the steering rack and its boots and no obvious leak was visible. There was one little damp spot on the left boot but it was hard to tell if it was a splash from when the car was in the garage or if it's an indication of a tiny leak. The wife already has the car scheduled to go into garage on Saturday for an oil change and smog test so I'll get them to have a look at it. Thanks for all the help guys :D