Power Steering Squeal After Tie Rod End Replacement

MarshB

I installed some new struts & springs, and while doing so went ahead and replaced the Tie Rod ends (the rubber cover on the old ones where split & cracked.)

After getting everything back together I went for a test ride, but I'm getting a horrible squealing noise when turning the steering wheel. I didn't have this noise prior to starting the replacement of the other parts..

This is my first time doing a self install of struts/springs/tie rod ends, so I'm curious is this noise normal? Will it quiet after a short time?

Sidenote: I'm schedule for an alignment in the morning at the closest repair shop which is about 30 min away. I'm a bit worried about driving it that far with the noise it's making. Would be less worried if it was straight roads, but I live out in the country and we have a lot of curvy roads (thankfully they are all paved from here to the repair shop.)

Also note that I've yet to look at the power steering fluid level; by the time I got the struts/springs/tie rod ends/wheels and cleaned up my work area the sun was gone for the day, So I'll check that in the morning before I head to the repair shop. Again just wondering if this sound is common after replacing any of the parts I mentioned; 'cause I don't understand why it was not there before I started everything, but its there now.

I'll probably ask the repair tech to take a look at it when I go for the alignment, to make sure I didn't screw anything up, but thought maybe some of the smart people here might be able to through there thoughts in.. as I know the repair tech is going to charge me an extra leg to look at it. Bad enough he wants an arm and leg for the alignment.

2002 Civic Coupe 1.7

MarshB

Check whether you bent the wheel splash guard, causing it to rub on the brake rotor.
What do you mean "Wheel Splash Guard?" Isnt that the plastic that surrounds the wheel well? If so, how would I bend the plastic?

Edit: Do you mean the "dust shield" / " backing plate" ??
I'll check though as soon as the sun comes up.

I'm pretty positive it's a power steering thing, from the noise it's making, just not sure why it would start doing it after replacing struts/springs/tie rod ends.

Last edited:

MarshB

The splash guard on the rear of the hub is metal and, when bent, often squeals only when turning.
Okay, so you mean the backing plate (at least thats what we call it around here. "po·ta·to" "pa·ta·toe" right)
I'll check that in the morning for sure, don't think I bent it, but not 100% positive. Makes the noise turning left or right, not sure if that matters.

MarshB

The splash guard on the rear of the hub is metal and, when bent, often squeals only when turning.
Well I checked everything this morning, turns out I have a power steering leak. Return hose has a small leak.
Thanks for your response and trying to help me narrow down the cause of the noise.