power steering

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello all, im in a bit of an argument with a fellow autox driver he swears up and down that i wont b able to do.well running NO powersteering in my 1995 coupe. All my hondas have been ps free.and he keeps tellin me how it wont happem and i was lookin at the bisimoto header or hytech replica which i need for the engine and u cannot run ps anybody have any thoughts lol any feedback is great

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your car came with power steering to begin with then it might be a little challenging because of the gearing the steering rack has... what would help is getting the steering rack from a civic that didn't come with power steering cause it's geard differently to make it easier. On a side note my bros eg hatch doesn't have power steering and it feels just a only a tad bit stiff

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
In a civic you won't notice no power steering that much because it is a light car. I know a few people who auto-x cars without power steering with no problems at all.

As far as I know the manual racks have a longer gear ratio so turning won't be as quick. Where as the power racks have a shorter, quicker ratio.

It's the driver that makes the biggest difference in performance.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what ^^he said. not a quick but a tad bit lighter. I had a 91 prelude that the power steering went out on and that thing was a b!tch sometimes lol especially after a good work out haha. but it wasn't nearly as bad as my dads 92 nissan pickup used to be.

edit: plus if you're used to driving without power steering then it really should be no problem at all.

emerican

Registered VIP
If your used to it then it really wont be that bad
When you say all your hondas have been ps free do you mean they came without it or they came with it and you took it off.

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ive removed the power steering on all, but i found a weapon r longtube race header i can run power steering with so im more then likely goin with that one to b safe