problem with rims

marcpr82

hello guys

I will be changing the tires very soon. But first of all, I must repaint the rims and mask the corrosion. I understand that it is impossible to delete it all... Maybe I'll begin with angle grinder and the sand paper. In the end i would like to cover them with the paint. What good auto paint will you suggest?

thanks a lot!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Some pics would be nice. We don't even know what finish, what color, etc.

On my old gunmetal wheels, I curbed the s**t out of them. Fixed it by sanding down the scuffed up areas, bondo'ing to get it flush again, sanded down, primed, painted, cleared. Looks brand new. I had an in-between picture, where the wheel was bondo's and sanded and ready for paint, but I can't seem to find it :( EDIT: FOUND EM

before:

bondo'd:

Being shaved / sanded:

after:

Last edited:

marcpr82

:welcome:

Some pics would be nice. We don't even know what finish, what color, etc.

On my old gunmetal wheels, I curbed the s**t out of them. Fixed it by sanding down the scuffed up areas, bondo'ing to get it flush again, sanded down, primed, painted, cleared. Looks brand new. I had an in-between picture, where the wheel was bondo's and sanded and ready for paint, but I can't seem to find it :( EDIT: FOUND EM

before:

bondo'd:

Being shaved / sanded:

after:

I can not see the images that you posted. Possibly I have a limited access to this site, because I'm new here. (I see photos only in the reply field..) The final result is great. Looks line new!

Well, my rims are steel and they are grey. I want to change the original color and repaint in black. I thought about the high temperature resistant paints like for the engines or this https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-painting-supplies/spray-paint/1385989_k01618_krylon/ I'm going to try it on one old rim. If it looks nice, I will repaint all rims.

Have you used the plasti dip?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It seems like all you want is paint suggestions being that you wont post pictures. If your rims are steel then they must be factory rims. If you can get all the rust properly removed or reformed, then I would suggest either engine or other metal enamel. Grill paint will not stand up to road use. If not, have them powder coated.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
It seems like all you want is paint suggestions being that you wont post pictures. If your rims are steel then they must be factory rims. If you can get all the rust properly removed or reformed, then I would suggest either engine or other metal enamel. Grill paint will not stand up to road use. If not, have them powder coated.
The powdercoat wont adhere to bondo'd areas is the only problem.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Of course not, but xplod3r is the one who mentioned that. We still have no idea as to the extent of his "corrosion".

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Of course not, but xplod3r is the one who mentioned that. We still have no idea as to the extent of his "corrosion".
I mentioned paint, not powder coating ;)

NeedsMoreLow

If you have the time and money to buy new tires, grind and sand rims, and paint them... I would suggest new rims anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk