Prolly Been Done B4 But.....

YOUNG_DEE

5+ Year Member
What Do You Guys Think About Thins Since I Got A 1999 Dx Hatch I Was Thinkin About Making It Into Like A 1999 Si But In Hatch Form...like I Said This Has Prolly Been Done B4 But I Just Wanted Some Other Opinions And Also If Anyone Has Seen Anything Like This B4 Can They Give Me A Link To Where I Can Find More Info On It...but As Far As The Conversion Goes I Want To Do The Si Seats Si Guage Cluster You Know The 9

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't do it, but a big part of that is I think the Si is very overrated for what it is. Plus the Si parts cost more than they should be worth.

There's so much better things you could do to your car than trying to make it an Si hatch (kind of a VTi, SiR I guess).

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea what nofx said. i had an Si and it was no where near as fast as everyone thought. and the price to convert the motor, lip, seats, guages, sunroof, youlll be in the 4g range. you could do a sohc turbo that looks better.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're willing to pay as much to swap in a B16A2, then check out some other motors too. Personally I like DOHC motors such as B18s and B20s. I wouldn't get a B16 though. Overpriced for what it is.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
If you're willing to pay as much to swap in a B16A2, then check out some other motors too. Personally I like DOHC motors such as B18s and B20s. I wouldn't get a B16 though. Overpriced for what it is.
+1 B16A2 is only like 150hp, right? not worth the time/money/effort.. you'd be better off boosting the d..

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sodee said:
+1 B16A2 is only like 150hp, right? not worth the time/money/effort.. you'd be better off boosting the d..
160hp ;)

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Zenray said:
still not worth it, that aint all going to the wheels
No s**t?

I would advise against it, if your gonna swap I wouldn't advise a b16 unless you have a hatch or a crx or something, in a coupe or sedan it's just not enough power IMO. Either boost the d or swap in a b18 or b20 like Amy said...this is all just my opinion though. For looks I would try to develop your own style and not just model it after another model civic, especially when the parts are expensive to buy OEM. Get aftermarket parts and make it look better for cheaper :thumbs up

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
dude to convert it to an si you'd need cluster,sunroof, rear disc brakes, armest, guages, lips, motor swap, seats, power everything, wow it would not be worth it, but this is an unusual transformation of a hatch...

ryanM

Suanico said:
dude to convert it to an si you'd need cluster,sunroof, rear disc brakes, armest, guages, lips, motor swap, seats, power everything, wow it would not be worth it, but this is an unusual transformation of a hatch...

actually you wouldnt even need seats, the only difference is the hole in the headrest.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd recommend cooling off for a bit and don't jump on buying a swap just yet. You shoudln't want a swap just to have a swap.

First, look into what performance gains you could expect from a motor swap. Price them out, figure out which ones are sold for more than they're worth just because they come from certan cars or because of the rarity of those cars/motors. Though it's not the route I woudl go (I do havea heavier coupe body though), price out turbos and check up on performance gains there too.

What you can and can't do with each motor. Which motors respond to turbos and other go fast mods (yeah, read up on superchargers, nitrous, etc.). What the weaknesses of certan motors might be. If you should get another type of tranny besides the one normally mated to that motor from the factory. What you need to do before boosting, etc.

There's a lot you should look into before jumping into swapping a motor if you want to get the best out of your experience. That is, the best for YOU.

manu

5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I'd recommend cooling off for a bit and don't jump on buying a swap just yet. You shoudln't want a swap just to have a swap.

First, look into what performance gains you could expect from a motor swap. Price them out, figure out which ones are sold for more than they're worth just because they come from certan cars or because of the rarity of those cars/motors. Though it's not the route I woudl go (I do havea heavier coupe body though), price out turbos and check up on performance gains there too.

What you can and can't do with each motor. Which motors respond to turbos and other go fast mods (yeah, read up on superchargers, nitrous, etc.). What the weaknesses of certan motors might be. If you should get another type of tranny besides the one normally mated to that motor from the factory. What you need to do before boosting, etc.

There's a lot you should look into before jumping into swapping a motor if you want to get the best out of your experience. That is, the best for YOU.

:!: What he said.... basically do a Hp per $ comparison......"boost the D smoke the B" :laugh:

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
umm, just by an si. it would be cheaper i think

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Suanico said:

IMO that looks like crap, a hatch would look soo much clean wit a lip and dropped

YOUNG_DEE

5+ Year Member
So You Guys Think Its Not Worth It Not Even If The Parts Were Salvaged Off Of Wrecked Si's... Woundn't That Be Cheaper ...and What If Instead Of Gettin The B16a2 Get Something Better Like The Gsr Motor

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
YOUNG_DEE said:
So You Guys Think Its Not Worth It Not Even If The Parts Were Salvaged Off Of Wrecked Si's... Woundn't That Be Cheaper ...and What If Instead Of Gettin The B16a2 Get Something Better Like The Gsr Motor
Why limit yourself to the Si?

Go out and price out motors and stuff. There is SO much better than Si. Sure, get the overpriced Si gauegs if you want (there are other clusters with amber btw, and you don't always HAVE to pay an arm and a leg). IMO it looks weird to have a cluster saying what your car is not (Si). Go out and get ugly Si wheels (come on, Honda makes better wheels everyday). Do amber interior lighting... um.. what else is it going to have that's worth swapping to Si spec?

Suspension isn't worth it BY FAR. Exhaust is pretty much the same (EXACTLY the same as the EX). Paint (MIlano Red, Electron Blue Pearl, lamenco Black Pearl, and, in Canada, Vogue Silver Metallic). And then a lip and badging. Maybe some foglights (which don't just come on Sis though).

There's so much more out there. Better lips. Badging that matches your car if you want badging. Ntot having to paint your car just to make a clone off of a very common car. Much much much better suspension options. Other clusters. Etc... etc... etc.

I'm not sayign boost the d (I'm not really into that because I see better options out there to use as a base motor than D-series motors). I'm just saying to look over your options first beore going out and getting a bunch of Si parts. And most junkyards aren't going to have a lot of the popular Si parts anymore. Junkyards tend to notice when certain parts are more popular and will price them higher.

And thanks, HondaSpeedaX. Yes, I'm Amy, Amelia, whichever. Yeah, I'm a girl. And hell yes, I love my Hondas.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Often times it also seems like certain company's sell products for the 99-00 Si and make it cost more for no reason

No problem Amy, i wish there were more females into cars...i.e my gf would be nice lol she thinks im crazy

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep, been done b4.
and stop witht eh caps at the beginning of every damn word, its annoying.
chris

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mymmeryloss said:
yep, been done b4.
and stop witht eh caps at the beginning of every damn word, its annoying.
chris
He's trying to type in all caps and the auto correct on the site makes it so most of the letters won't be capitalized. :lol: