Question about 6th Gen Civic

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just noticed something. Why is it that the 1996 through 2000 Honda Civics are concidered the 6th Generation models, but yet when buying performance parts the 1999 through 2000 model Civics "can't" use the same parts as the 1996 through 1998 models? I know there are a few differences, but if they are the same Generation shouldn't they be almost identical under the hood??

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not if you want performance parts for a 99-00 Si. their engines didn't come in any 96-98 civics. and if you want body parts, the front ends r different btween the 96-98 and the 99-00.

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nevermind I'm not sure what my point was anymore. Sorry, if I find an example I'll post again.

I know what you meant about the Si and the front, however.

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Another difference besides the front end, climate controls, and taillights, is OBD. 96-98 have OBD2 while 99-00 have OBD2b.

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "silverctr"

Another difference besides the front end, climate controls, and taillights, is OBD. 96-98 have OBD2 while 99-00 have OBD2b.
whats the dif???

0BD2 -- OBD2b

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "abej6"

silverctr said:
whats the dif???

0BD2 -- OBD2b
It's an "enhanced" version, which means they threw on more sensors to piss people off. ;) For the most part the plugs look the same but some of the pin locations have been changed.

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup.. its more "smarter" like the GSR 99 ECU.. No matter what u advance/or retard your timing. it will auto adjust for you. check engine light always on if you put on new mods. but theres couple tricks to trick the ecu.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hate OBD 2....are the replacment wire harnesses any good? Arn't they supposed to change to OBD 1 depending on which one you use? Wouldn't you need a new ECU or piggy back the stock one as well?

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am assuming the wire harness wouldn't carry from a D series motor to a B series?

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope... harness should come with the motor/ecu though