question about door panel

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
was wondering if anyone know what the JDM door panel material is made out of. the red part i mean. and what kind of red is it? i wanna redo mine cuz the previous owner had a cat and everything and all these cat hair is on it and is kinda nasty and dirty. someone hook me up the 411 =)

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use a vacuum and take all the hair off

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tried man. but is really on there. plus the thing is fading...

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's really hard to tell what kind of material and color the JDM door panels are. i would suggest that you just buy the JDM ones but those are kinda pricey.

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would think they are the same material as our door panels, cept fo the color?

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i found this on CHB

"Credit to 98silverhatch for this how-to.

1) remove door panel. this will envolve removing all of the screws on the door panel. and removing speaker from door also. once you have removed all screws, you want to use a piece of chicken wire to remove the clip holding the window crank. i believe there are about 4 clips holding the panel on, once all are unclipped just slide the panel up and it will come off. you may have to unclip the mirror adjustment triangel frame in the top corner, makes for easier removal of panel.

2) you have the panel off now, congrats. once you flip the door panel over you will see a bunch of plastic welded clips. these are what hold the armrest to the door panel. you will have to get all of these plastice welds off in order to seperate the armrest portion from the rest of the panel. if you have acess to a dremel tool this will be to your advantage, as a time saver. once you have removed the little plastice welds the armrest piece will be free from the rest of the panel. now look where the plastic welds were, there are holes. since you have now gotten rid of the welds you have to use a fairley thick screw to fasten the arm rest to the door panel from behind. make sure the screw is not too long, you may want to use a few washers to fill in the gap a bit.

3) now take the piece of vinyle that you have purchased, whatever color it may be. lay the armrest section over top of your piece of vinyle. now you just cut a piece that will cover your armrest. take into consideration, the shape of the armrest, and where more material will be used up. ( always cut more than you will need, as you can cut the acess off, but if there isnt enough, you would have to start over.

4) now bust out your 3m adhesive spray and lay it on thick to that mofo. more is better, but do it in a few coats, so it doesnt get all nastay. you will want to let the spray get tacky, (follow directions on spray can). now spray the underside of the vinyle,put a nice coat on it. this is just to asure a good bond.

5) allright this is where the work begins. vinyle material is believe it or not a very stretch material. you have to work that **** hard to make it follow the exact lines of the armrest, this may take a good 20 mins on each armrest. when starting, i would definetly suggest starting with the most visable part. The top, and then working to the bottom. you will find it a bit tricky to mold the material near the front part of the armrest, just because of the shape. but dont get frustrated. as you cant quit now, because the stock material is now pooched covered in goeey spray, just work it like a mofo. once you have it the way you want it. you now can bust the stapler out. (this part is optional, but i would strongly recommend it, because having to redo it is not the funnest thing in the world.

6) have the armrest facing up, so you can see the nice red, or whatever color vinyle showing. you will notice that there is about a centimeter or about a half inch ledge, this is were you will put the staples in. and this will hold the position you want the vinyle to stay in. on mine i used like 30 staples at least on each armrest. dont worry about what it looks like on this edge, as it will be behind the grey peice of the door panel. once you have it all stapled down. check it all over. .....awesome lookin totally fat now. but .....wheres the hole for the handle. you will have to cut a cross in the hole righ to the edges, i used a xacto knife to do mine, and then you want to put the handle peice back in. when you do this, it is a pretty tight fit, and it should be, it looks totally awesome trust me.

7) ahh re-assembally, flip the main part of the door panel over, you will have to cut with a razor, the vinyle so you can line up the holes where you will be screwing( you dont have to use all of the holes up, every second one will do fine. okay now listen up this is very important ( DO NOT, AND I REPEAT DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS. IF YOU OVER TIGHTEN THEM, THEY WILL PUSH THROUGH THE GREY PART OF THE DOOR PANEL, LEAVING A STRESS MARK IN THE DOOR PANEL, IT TURN WHITE AND LOOKS LIKE TOTALL ASS!. ) its just a door panel, not somthing that has to be tightened like a mofo. once you have all of your screws in, setup the completed door panel and check it over, damn son that looks totally badasss hey.

8) cleanup and re installation, see step 1, seat the door panel in the proper position, clip it in , you will be able to hear the clips "snap!" and door will be fitting right. install all of the screws and the speaker. put the door handle peice back in and screw down, now look at ur fat assed custom door panels, so pimp. your done.

MATERIAL

vynile " your choice of color
3m adhesive spray
staples and staple gun
dremel tool, or butcher knife......haha thats what i used mom wasnt to impressed but whatever
and work that vynile in
srews and washers, not too sure of the size but take the panel apart and you will be able to figure it out
screws washers and 3m adhesive spray will be at homedepot, fabric, is at the fabric store of ur choice

your fingers will be sore i gaurantee it, but over all its a fairley easy mod, and cosmetically it looks radicall

cost of mod under 30$
time could be done less than 3hrs for sure."

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Myogi_Nightkid"

^^ :thumbs up:

looks like someone is doing his research!

good to know that you're learning man!
are you talkin to me??? are you talkin to me??

^^ i think thats from some movie ^^

yeah.. im gonna do this sometime this summer :D

velox_civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The JDM CTR door panels are not the same material as the USDM door panels. The CTR panels i believe are red tweed.

I thought about getting the CTR panels for my car, but dont feel like spending the money. I am going to go buy some red suede and do the stock panels to match my CTR carpet. I can tell you this though... the red color of the carpet is not like flame red. Its more like maroon or darker red. All the pics you see of the JDM red interior ends up showing lighter in the pictures than what it really is. When i first got my carpet i thought it was fake and i got ripped off, but turns out that they are just alot darker in person thats all. Its the same color as the red stitching in the CTR shift boots and USDM ITR seats.

Hope this helps.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "abej6"

are you talkin to me??? are you talkin to me??

^^ i think thats from some movie ^^
:slap:
Taxi Driver featuring Robert DeNiro and a young Jodie Foster, directed by the late great Stanley Kubrick

spooooooek

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: Re: question about door panel

Originally posted by velox_civic
The JDM CTR door panels are not the same material as the USDM door panels. The CTR panels i believe are red tweed.

I thought about getting the CTR panels for my car, but dont feel like spending the money. I am going to go buy some red suede and do the stock panels to match my CTR carpet. I can tell you this though... the red color of the carpet is not like flame red. Its more like maroon or darker red. All the pics you see of the JDM red interior ends up showing lighter in the pictures than what it really is. When i first got my carpet i thought it was fake and i got ripped off, but turns out that they are just alot darker in person thats all. Its the same color as the red stitching in the CTR shift boots and USDM ITR seats.

Hope this helps.
ur right i have carpet and door panels sitting right in front of me. its dark maron color .