Question about Si and SOHC VTEC

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was wondering, do all 92-95 Civic Hb Si's have a SOHC VTEC engine or DOHC. Cause SOHC sucks right? I just wanted to know, in about 2 months im buying a 92-95 civic hb si so I want to know everyhting for sure. I checked the engine code section but I got confused. If anyone is bored, want to post up wha engine is which, like b16c1...whateveror b16a1? a small list of what is what can clear this up.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't say it sucked, its just that DOHC is better. And yes 92-95 Civic Si is SOHC

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Then what is DOHC
How much faster is a Civic hb si with dohc then a civic hb si with sohc?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SOHC = single over head cam ... meaning that the exhaust/intake is controlled my one cam

(YES SOHC SUCKS)

DOHC = dual over head cam ... meaning you have 2 cams, one for the intake (the more important one) and one for the exhaust.

check out Rice4Brains post in the tech section about "what is vtec" that will give a lil more understanding on this ish...>>> The link CLICK HERE

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
btw - if you put a b16a2 into a 92-95 civic, just by puttin that engine in, your going to be running high 14's with a bone stock egnine...

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it worth going through all the trouble to sell my 91 automatic civic hb and save up to buy a 92-95 civic hb si? I mean I thought they had DOHC, dang does that mean when I get a si I have to get a new motor too? Im not that rich...Im selling everything I own and working like a dog just to save up $1000. How much would a civic hb si with a dohc cost me? and how much would a stock civic hb si cost me approximatly? 92-95
Also How much faster is a 92-95 stock civic hb si compared to a 91 automatic dx and how much fast is a sohc civic hb si 92-95 compared to a dohc 92-95 civic hb?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to ebay dewd....

they onlee civic that came with DOHC is the 99-00 civic si

anything else (if you didnt want to do a swap) is going to have a single in it.

just find a used 92-95 hb... and drive it till u got the money for the b16 swap (be around $2500 give or take a few hundred)

check ebay or autotrader, its how i find half the s**t i aquire

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How much of a noticable diffrence is it between the DOHC and SOHC while driving and performance? also is that how all you guys bought your cars, with the stock motor then you switched or is it better to buy it with the swaped motor?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the difference is night and day, the b series (dohc) is superior in just about every way to the d series(sohc) eg (92-95) hb's are just about the most in demand car out there, so finding them cheap is damn near impossible. the difference between the auto dx and a manual si hatch is about the same as swapping the sohc motor for a b18c.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn 14's w/ a swap only?

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buy a CX instaed of Si, swap it, and be happy.
you can get a 92 CX for a couple Gs.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but if he gets the Si he gets 4 wheel discs and a sunroof that many ppl wud die 4

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well around where I live for some reason all the cx's are like 4-5k for 92-95. All the Si's are 3-4k. The thing is theres only one or two Si's for sale and about 50000 cx's. So it would cost me more moeny to get a cx and swap. I found a 92 si, one owner, color blue, very clean, well maintained, new cd player, new tire, within 36 mile of me (thanks autotrader.com) for 3800, and he say obo so im guessing i can get him down to 3400 mabe less.

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn hopefully you can hook up that deal, hatches own u

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are these them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2419568709
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2420408311

check out these why not a h22?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2420064895
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2420277434

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oops i accidently pushed report instead of reply my bad!
by the way how much would it cost to put a h22 in your car, if you had a shop do it?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
h22a is not an easy swap by any means. it fits, but it takes some custom work. for a shop to do it and do it right, your looking at about 5-6 grand all told, including motor and parts. the torque of the motor is unmatched, but you could get a much faster modified b16 or b18 for that kinda money. DO NOT, AND I REPEAT DO NOT BUY AND EBAY MOTOR, unless the person is local and you can see the motor itself. its too easy to get ripped off. and the prices i saw on there arent that competitive. go with www.flashoptions.com , www.hmotorsonline.com or www.importautosalvage.com those are the highest rated sites. or go to your local junkyards, see if they have anything. as for the cx vs. si, the biggest thing is weight. cx's are almost 300 lbs lighter than a si hatchback. the si is heavier than any other civic of the era, save for the ex coupe and sedan. but it has all the nice features- better brakes, bigger fuel tank, power sunroof, etc. so do you want comfort or do you want a few tenths? its your choice.

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "handlebarsfsr"

it has all the nice features- better brakes, bigger fuel tank, power sunroof, etc. so do you want comfort or do you want a few tenths? its your choice.
Well all I want is to be faster than my dx automatic, so as long as thats done I would like the sunroof :D

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what speed does Vtec kick in, Some one said there is a certain speed when the vtec kicks?