Question for 92-95 CX hatchback owners

hondafan2

5+ Year Member
Hey,

I'm looking for a 92-95 hatchback and found a nice CX 5-speed that I'm considering. It's completely stock which is what I prefer since I don't plan on any engine mods. My only concern is the 70hp motor that came with the CX trim. Is this just too underpowered for this car? I was originally looking for a DX which had the 102hp engine. The torque rating are nearly the same between the two trims.

I don't need something that's fast, just something that doesn't have to be wound out to 4k+ rpm to get any decent acceleration. If anyone here still has a stock 92-95 CX hatchback, please post with your comments.

Thanks.

wmertz

~multi-colored beast~
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you can spend some money and just buy a different engine for it. like a y7 atleast

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hondafan2 said:
I don't need something that's fast, just something that doesn't have to be wound out to 4k+ rpm to get any decent acceleration. .
If that's the case buy an Integra.

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
welllllllll to put it bluntly, if your a grandma and want a POS, go with the CX and keep it stock :lol: the engine is pretty lame, dont expect to go up hills without a downshift. its slow, but a GREAT platform for 'building up' a car. i have my with full suspension and engine and i cant be happier that i got rid of that DOG Si. just my opinion. if you dont wanna mess with up, look for an EX or SI, more options to begin with, and better engine.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my cx sucked with the old 8 valve engine in it...lol
I mean, it was a gas saver . It just was a little to weak for me. I swapped in the d16z6 and i was a lot happier.
It's still good on gas and now has enough power for me.

i would get it. cx's are always good cause the are light as hell.

daoshao

5+ Year Member
If you are looking for a gas saver...go with the cx stock. If not then, swap something else. I have a canadian cx. Threw a b18b motor in it, because the motor sucked.

jwark601

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey dude, the CX is a GREAT get-around car! I got 45 mpg average all around driving hard/soft/whatever. All up until i blew the crap outta the head gasket. Hell, they even run on 3 cylinders! They got less sound-deadening, no sunroof, lucky to find one with a/c, but they're built like a tank man. They're the lightest, toughest civic around. Mine's got a B16 now, but it's still a ROCKIN CAR!

btw, cruising at 70 mph you're at 2200 rpm.

92CivicCX

5+ Year Member
hondafan2 said:
Hey,

I'm looking for a 92-95 hatchback and found a nice CX 5-speed that I'm considering. It's completely stock which is what I prefer since I don't plan on any engine mods. My only concern is the 70hp motor that came with the CX trim. Is this just too underpowered for this car? I was originally looking for a DX which had the 102hp engine. The torque rating are nearly the same between the two trims.

I don't need something that's fast, just something that doesn't have to be wound out to 4k+ rpm to get any decent acceleration. If anyone here still has a stock 92-95 CX hatchback, please post with your comments.

Thanks.
Hey dude, I love my little CX! Wanted a VX, but those are pretty hard to come by, it seems. I wanted something that was really good on gas. It was stock when I bought it about five years ago, and yes, it was pretty dang slow (was known to bark the tires going into 2nd if I tried really hard though). My first tank of gas, mixed in-town and highway, I got 46mpg. I was very pleased, to say the least. It was pretty much always between 42 and 48. I got a little over 50 going from Atlanta to Orlando one time. :D A "friend" of mine was nice enough to overheat and ruin my engine about two or three years ago, and I just wanted something as close to stock as I could find. The place I took it put in a D15B7 (DX/LX engine). I couldn't really tell much difference in power, but mileage went down just a little. I guess on somewhat of a sidenote, I took it too the 1/4 mile strip nearby and ran 18.2, which I believe is better than what a stock CX would do from what I've read. Anyway, once I found this website, I looked around a little and realized that they didn't switch to the correct ECU (P06) for that engine, so that may be part of it. I still get over 40 mpg consistently though--mostly highway. I just bought a P06 off ebay and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'll see if that frees up a little power and if it hurts my gas mileage. I'll try to remember to post, and/or let you know. And about acceleration--do whatever you need to do somewhat quickly (for a CX) in 1st and 2nd, because the step to 3rd is huge. It's like they skip an entire gear between 2 and 3. Later

kuehnhonda

Very Soon my friend
5+ Year Member
i got a 93' hatch Cananda model i got like 40- 43 mpg i pick it up for 1,800 bucks i like :headbang: hell ya
i had the car for almost two year w/ 131k . now its got 160k damn thing burn'in oil it still get good mpg,but im savin up for a b series
to fix that :thumbs up heheh

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey man i have a 92 vx not cx though but i'm pretty sure there's not alot of difference between those two except for the cx only having 70 horsepower compare to a vx which has 90 horsepower i believe. but the gas mileage of those two are very identical. my current engine in the vx is about 325,000 or so miles right now "that's the original motor" but it's leaking oil now,so i just drive my 04 si for daily driving i'm putting a b18c on it soon i already have the engine and all i need is to sway the engine and make a custom exhaust for it sorry for jack threading it just want to tell everybody here what's going to happen to my 92 vx

kzoobaggs

5+ Year Member
question

jwark601 said:
Hey dude, the CX is a GREAT get-around car! I got 45 mpg average all around driving hard/soft/whatever. All up until i blew the crap outta the head gasket. Hell, they even run on 3 cylinders! They got less sound-deadening, no sunroof, lucky to find one with a/c, but they're built like a tank man. They're the lightest, toughest civic around. Mine's got a B16 now, but it's still a ROCKIN CAR!

btw, cruising at 70 mph you're at 2200 rpm.

I have a CX and i am also thinking about swapping out my engine and i was wondering what the easiest swap would be i am thinking about swapping out for a dx but if there is something that is simpler or more efficient please let me know.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The easiest engine swap would be any D series motor. If your going to swap it though forget the DX motor, you can get a z6 or y8 for the same price.