Question on adding horsepower

MrBA

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:?:

Hello to all,

I'm new in the whole civic racing thing. I have a 99 civic EX and have added an AEM Short Air Intake and Tsudo muffler. I would like to know how to add more horsepower to my car. Maybe even a new engine. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Billy

drchang345

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one word....turbo. lol. But serious to add horsepower you need to go beyond all the normal bolt on performance parts like intakes, pipe tips, etc. Those are neccecary, but not the way to get some crazy ponies. Go internally. Cams, new pistons. Do some reaserch. Another idea is an engine swap with a prelude or acura. Don't be satisfied with just a new throttle body or pulley set. Go bigger.

peace out.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you want this car to be reliable as your daily driver? Then instead of pushing tons of power out of your current motor, go for a B16A or GSR swap. There is way more after market support for them and they'll run you fast and reliable.

new D16 nut

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
swaps cost about as much as a decent used car. stick with the stock motor and do some port and polish work.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
woah woah woah newb. what is this doing in the classified forum?

*moved to engine tech

yoman793

boost fiend
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm..

well budy its always a good idea to have an engine swap, but i know JD edelbrock has a turbo out for a ex engine (D16) that'll put you around 170. Its cheap and easy, but if ya put a turbo on a b16, ya'd get alot more power. Good luck and welcome to the world of civics

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Don't do a bunch of pulley and gear upgrades. From what I've heard many many times is that it makes the car very unreliable. Go for the gold and do a swap. Drop in a B16. They're relatively cheap but when you start getting into B18C1 and B18C5 it gets ALOT more expensive for that extra 20some horses. H22A is always good but it's very expensive. IMO go with the B16 and boost it.

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. Swap (Prolly B16A2 = OBD 2)
2. Modify Motors Internals(Low Compression Pistons, Rods,etc)
3. Turbo / Turbo Kit (Greddy, Apexi, Garrett)
4. Upgrade Everything from Injectors to Fuel Rail....etc.

eggie75

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16 nut-
that gude package is not gonna produce 50hp for a sohc motor. it says the package averages that amount. now look at all the other cars that the package is available for. sorry bud, but the sohc is at the bottom of that scale.

5thGen_Donny

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
trust me the package does miracles for the sohc motors. i know from experience. And it will add 50+ to the wheels if you set it up right.

eggie75

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your talking about adding 50% horsepower from a head package... don't think so.