Question on Springs

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so im getting ready to buy some an adjustable spring set up but ihave a question. I wnat to know if i can buy just the coilovers, that are adjustable, or do i have to buy the whole strut setup?? not sure if this question is very clear but my car is a 1995 lx sedan. plz help

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if your upgrading your springs, do not, i repeat, do not use your stock shocks and struts. your car will ride like s**t and you will blow your struts. dont skimp on the springs either. buying shitty, bargain springs is a sure way to make sure your car handles like crap and rides like crap. get some good springs, like tiens or ground controls and good shocks like kyb. depeding on how much you drop it, your going to need a camber kit too. figure if you drop more than an inch and a half your going to need the kit. you also need an alignment done after you do any suspension work. get it done right the first time or your just gonna spend a ton of money doing it over again to fix what you didnt do right.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so i should just buy a complete new strut kit, instead of just springs...Also is tokico any good?? and now unfortunetley it will be awhile before i get these now i guess...adjustable strut kits can get expensive :(

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those statements aren't necessarily true......... i had my car dunked on a set of skunk2 coilovers with my stock struts and it only slightly more aggressively than stock.... never had a problem with the struts either. i've heard a lot of people talk about blown struts, and it does make sense since they are under increased pressure, but in 18 months i never experienced it myself. my ride is actually harsher now that i have a tein full coilover suspension...........

i would say just get the coilovers for now, and then get the shocks if/when your oem ones blow......... i tend to agree you should do it right the first time, but i don't agree that a random coilover/strut combo is the right way to do it.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i rode on just DAD drop zone adjustable coilovers for a year and never had a problem with my factory struts. my ride was suprisingly smoother than anyone would expect it to be before riding in it. but things happen and stuff will go bad. with your car being a '95, and possibly having more time and miles on it than my 99, i would suggest doing it the right way and getting aftermarket struts. because it really IS only a matter of time before you're just going to have to replace those stock struts, and as stated previously, you WILL have to do it over again. you'll have to get all the same installation work done again replacing a blown shock when you couldv'e just waited...saved.. and bought the good stuff in the beginning :thumbup: :twocents:

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Originally posted by "SickCiViC"

i rode on just DAD drop zone adjustable coilovers for a year and never had a problem with my factory struts. my ride was suprisingly smoother than anyone would expect it to be before riding in it. but things happen and stuff will go bad. with your car being a '95, and possibly having more time and miles on it than my 99, i would suggest doing it the right way and getting aftermarket struts. because it really IS only a matter of time before you're just going to have to replace those stock struts, and as stated previously, you WILL have to do it over again. you'll have to get all the same installation work done again replacing a blown shock when you couldv'e just waited...saved.. and bought the good stuff in the beginning :thumbup: :twocents:
thats true, save up and do it right the first time. i wish i would have, i had to take that s**t apart 3 times..............replace springs......change to coilovers........change shocks.

civic-tuner

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you dont want your ride height to be adjustable, then I would suggest going with eibach springs (either the pro-kit or sportlines depending the drop you want). You can get eibach on ebay or elsewhere for about $160-$180 shipped. Tein springs are also good springs and run you about the same price ( the drop on teins is about 1.8 and the spring rates are 3.8/2.5). As for the coilover system Matrix sells a 24 point adjustable coilver system pretty cheap, I think you can get it for about 5 to 8 hundred bucks. But if you can afford it I would suggest a full coilover system like Tein's, H&R's or something along those lines. A good combo of sleeves and shocks is Ground Controls, SKunk2s with some AGX's or some Koni Yellows. As for riding on stock shocks, its ok. Of course your ride will be bouncy. I rode on stock shocks and a 2+ inch drop for about 17 months. Post on what setup you decide to go with maybe with some pics of you ride. As for having to work on you car several times, I don't mind it. I love working on my car.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ouch i hate doin thisg over 3 times even if it nothin to do with cars

Project Zero

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude why dont you go Coilocer sleev and adjustable shocks set up... like Skunk 2 on tokiko luminas