Question regaurding drag launch set-up

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well.... the drag launch set-up typically runs where the front is lower than the rear.

now i remember imazn stated this
Originally posted by "imazn"

mmm correct me if im wrong but dont you want the rear to be lower then the front in a drag race with a front wheel car because when you launch, the physics of the car transfers to rear of the car. on a rear wheel drive you want the front to be lower because the power goes to the front of the car.
now that makes sense, however.... with that being the case, why are all of the companies (e.g. H&R, Eibach, Tien, Nuespeed, etc...) making drag launch springs for FWD cars where the front springs are lower than the rear :?: :?:

now it would make sense, except for going down the track, i wouldnt think that the front of the car should be up, becuase then there is less aerodynamisy (sp?) runnin down the track....

now i'm lost... :retard: someone help me out here

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aerodynamics won't play a huge roll untill you start getting fast, REALLY fast so i wouldn't worry about that. The problem with racing a front wheel drive car is that the weight is transferred to the rear tires upon launch lifting the front tires (ever so slightly), so the front tires start to lose traction. The thing to combat this is to make sure that the suspension won't allow the weight of the car to shift to the rear, so having a stiff rear suspension would seem the way to go. The only reason that i can think that the front springs would be lower than the rear, is that the rear springs are extremely stiff and the rear being higher than the rear makes it harder for the weight to transfer back and it might make the front end want to dig into the ground.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well yeah thats what i wanted to get was some adjustable struts so that when i go to race, i can ste the rear struts to STIFF (hard as f**k) and then yeah...

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
correct me if im wrong but i dont think those companies make drag launch kit. the only company that i know that makes them is skunk2. They have a set of coilover called the drag launch or something like that.

these company tend to have the front lower because it is not for drag racing. these companies know that you will be putting on a FWD so they put the front lower then the rear. this gives the car a little more oversteer which aides in better and quicker cornering.

flame me for this one if im wrong but if the front lifts up dont you want it to be stiffer?

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "imazn"

flame me for this one if im wrong but if the front lifts up dont you want it to be stiffer?
me and andy (team 4r) were talking about that today, he's has that full TEIN suspension deal, the first time he went the track, he made all the struts STIFF... but he seems to think that it caused some wheel hop in the front and loss of traction. so when we go next wednesday, he is going to set them to soft

but yeah, i dont know, i myself am still learning, i dont know jack s**t so its all good... i posted that questino for learnnig purposes.... i need to learn so that im not rice

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mmm you shouldnt set all the struts to stiff espeically just doing drag. the spring rate of most (if not all) springs for FWD will have the front with a rather higher spring rate. That's due to the fact that it is a FWD and that the car is front heavy.

so off the bat the car will be pretty "neutral" when setting the struts at soft front soft rear. i dont quite remember where you want to set your shocks at for drag but just take what i said into consideration.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with my road setup my rear is full stiff, and my front's are 3/4 stiff...... i have zero body roll issues with that setup. the first time i went to the track i had my shocks at full stiff and was getting mad wheel hop. i read on another site that the front should be set super-soft. when i hit the track next week ill make a pass in my current trim, and then make an identical pass with the front soft to see what happens.......

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I found that setting the front shocks to the softest setting and the rears to the stiffest gave me the best traction with hardly any wheelhop. I've tried all shocks stiff, wheelhop. Just fronts stiff, wheelhop like a mofo. What I said before is your best bet for good launches with minimal wheelhop.

Just for reference this was on a 98 DX hatch with ground control and tokico illuminas.