Questions about 4th gen's

Rice-a-Roni

Totally rad to the max!!!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Right now I'm looking for a second car for me to take to work and to fix up since me and my wife have one car (95 coupe) between us. Just down the street a guy is selling an 88 or 89 HB and it's in OK shape. It's white but a little faded and the hood is painted a flat black. Not much is custom except for the exhaust and the wannabe "R" sticker. He also has a blue shift knob. The interior is gray and in good shape for the age of the car. The odometer says 220k on it but I was planning on swapping an engine in a couple of months anyways. My questions are...

What should I pay tops for the car? Probably no more than 1000 correct?

What is the best engine to swap into a 4th gen? The SiR I B16? What about a B18C?

How expensive are 4th gen's to fix? My 5th gen is rather expensive.

Thanks for your help.

91b18hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say no more than a grand if it is in great running order. i paid 500 for mine and it didnt even run. the easiest big power swap is the b16 of that year. i am swapping in a b18c1 from a 96' gsr. it's gonna me more difficult wiring wise. and fixing-wise, umm, i'm not sure, mine is totally stripped....wait, i did fix the right control arm....ran me more than i thought, but not too bad.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont pay over 1k ... like you said it needs paint and has 200k ... i sold my 91 4 door for 2k but it had 180k on the body with 80k on a new motor and was fairly immaculate considering how old it was.

Considering you are from ca, im not sure you can get an sir1 b16 smog legal, so do some research.

4th gens are in picknpulls everywhere so parts are relatively easy to find. I loved my 4th gen ... i got to drive a 91 si hatch yesterday however and i now realise how weak the dx fuel injection really was.

Rice-a-Roni

Totally rad to the max!!!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I talked to the guy today and he wants $1600 for it!!! I don't think he knows much about Civics either. He says he only has had the car for a month and he says the car is running good, but since he's only had it for a month how does he know how the car really runs? And why is he getting rid of the car so soon? Also, the tags are expired and there's a temporary sticker for February on it. Where is the new tag? He also claims it's a 91 even though the rear end looks like the 88 or 89 version.

I think I might call him back and offer $500 ;) I'll tell him straight out that the car is not worth what he is asking. I'll probably pay 800, possibly 1000 tops. Maybe 1000 is too much even. I feel uncomfortable about buying a car from someone who doesn't know much about it. I need to have a car as soon as possible but I can't rush it either.

codyj86

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
test drive it. if it runs good you shold be able to tell. i bought mien for $700 w/161k and bad brakes. but i live in MN

Viperlude69

Jdm Powered
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got mine for 150! runs great and still runs great.....althought it has a crate motor in it with low miles.....

FANATTIC8228

Rice-a-Roni said:
I talked to the guy today and he wants $1600 for it!!! I don't think he knows much about Civics either. He says he only has had the car for a month and he says the car is running good, but since he's only had it for a month how does he know how the car really runs? And why is he getting rid of the car so soon? Also, the tags are expired and there's a temporary sticker for February on it. Where is the new tag? He also claims it's a 91 even though the rear end looks like the 88 or 89 version.

I think I might call him back and offer $500 ;) I'll tell him straight out that the car is not worth what he is asking. I'll probably pay 800, possibly 1000 tops. Maybe 1000 is too much even. I feel uncomfortable about buying a car from someone who doesn't know much about it. I need to have a car as soon as possible but I can't rush it either.
I think $1000 would be overpaying. I know you need a car ASAP, but tell him like $750 is the most you would pay. If he really wants to sell it, he will. Plus, since he doesn't know much about Honda's use that to your advantage after you test-drive

SpoonFedRexSi

Droppin' a Deuce
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I paid $1000 even for my car. kbb.com said it was worth $1350 in its condition. It had 186,950 miles when I bought it. Yeah, you shouldn't pay more than $1000 for an 88 or 89 with those miles. The guy probably thinks his painted hood and accessories should make it cost more.

Contender25

1993 Civic DX hatchback
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah if a cars anywhere from mayb 13-16 years old you should be cautious because i bought my 89 si in actually really good condition even had 1 last owner and it was just some lady and she actually took care of it a little but besides that the only really thing i found bad about it WAS shitty Brakes so you should make sure the brakes are decent and the suspension too i use to own a 88 honda accord Lxi hatchback with like 4-500$ worth of suspension components to get fixed.:|

DredwerkZ

Irish Devil
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is my 89 LX..I paid $1200...but it is hella clean and had 96k on the odo when I bought it..