Questions and upgrades

Hook95EG

So im completely new to hondas. Ive worked on then with my friends just changing parts and stuff but i recently got a 95 civic eg with a D16y7 motor in it and i was wondering what all can be done with the motor/car since its been swapped in and im new to hondas

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Put a B series in it... sry im bias.. whats your plans, use, budget? Have hand tools, and mechanical able? We can help not read minds..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Hook95EG

Put a B series in it... sry im bias.. whats your plans, use, budget? Have hand tools, and mechanical able? We can help not read minds..

Hey i do have tools i am a mechanic the only thing i hate is electric running wires and whatnot i can do it just dont like it...as of right now its just my daily i dont have money to upgrade im just seeing whats out there for me to do...in the end im going to lower it about an inch n a half, tower supports, camber arms and cross members, if i swap i want to build the motor a little bit and put itb's on it no turbo right now...the interior im not worried about but might end up gutting it and just having the front 2 bucket seats...if i have to change the ecu and all the wiring harness i can but that will be after i have another car as my daily and clean out the garage to leave in inside so i can get that done without having it sit outside

Hook95EG

What ECU do you plan to use?

Can I presume your state does not have strict emissions laws? The D16Y7 comes from a later model Civic (96-00).
I live in indiana and i havent had any problems with that yet...im not really sure whats good for any parts on a civic this is my first one so im just trying to get info about parts n different combos that work together and all that...like i said its staying my daily for a while and i will eventually get around to the motor but just doing the basics right now

Hook95EG

It wasnt very clear on what emissions we have from the page on the bmw website except every 2 years certain cars will be tested in 2 counties for emissions

Hook95EG

Yeah i prolly should...does anyone else have any ideas on mods? Like what combos good with the motor i have in the car already?

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Dont waste your time, its an econobox plan for a swap and buy parts once like header, intake etc... that will make power on a more powerful motor. I put a B18B in my EG 2 weeks after purchase and doubled the fun and power and was hooked from there to where its at now, trust me going from 98hp to 155hp and way more torque just doin a swap you will be more than happy.. and still over 20mpg..

Hook95EG

Dont waste your time, its an econobox plan for a swap and buy parts once like header, intake etc... that will make power on a more powerful motor. I put a B18B in my EG 2 weeks after purchase and doubled the fun and power and was hooked from there to where its at now, trust me going from 98hp to 155hp and way more torque just doin a swap you will be more than happy.. and still over 20mpg..

Sounds like a plan to me...thats the kind of info i was lookin for because im new to honda and its many motors

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
So figure that $ amount as a car payment, id rather have the title and use that coin for mods... on the other hand, been there done that and have a payment now on something im modding so im a hypocrite... hey cant a guy have 2 nice rides?!?!

Hook95EG

Haha...for how many months? Or did you mean for a lifetime? :P
Its not a matter of doing it in a month or anything like that im going to take my time and build it right the first time so yes im setting a budget and doing it that way...if your going to be negative dont waste your breathe because i dont give a crap with people that are negative and just want to act like they are hot s**t...i was asking for information because this will be my first honda build and im new to hondas all together

Hook95EG

Don't get defensive. You need to do your homework.

1) You haven't taken the time to be informed on your state's laws regarding legal engine swaps. In the end, it may not be a problem. But it's also possible that it will, with the result potentially being that you are not able to register the car after doing the work.

2) You also mention a desire in the future to upgrade from the Y7, such as a B-series swap. You were asked for a budget. This is a highly important and relevant question that requires you to state a total amount of money you are willing to invest in the project. The budget defines what you can and can't do. $200-400/month does not define a budget.
Actually 200-400 a month to piece a build together is a good budget considering im working full time and a full time student while taking care of a family of 6...before you say anything else negative why dont you ask questions if you are willing to give me any credible information...200-400 a month is a decent budget to get any car modded the way a person wants if they are buying in pieces so they can still support a family among other obligations...im not worried about the legal engine swaps for my state as i move around every couple of years for work because my family and i like a change of pace and different things to do and look at...as i stated in the beginning if i remember correctly im completely new to honda and this car will be my daily until i piece my upgrades together...if you are going to be negative without asking backround information and then still crap on what im telling you when i answer a question...i ask you again please leave the thread because i was only asking how hard it would be and what kind of swaps and upgrades i could do with the civic i have.

Hook95EG

Giving you sound advice is crapping on your thread?
No you laughing after what i said i had for my planned budget and then saying it wasnt a budget is crap...you havent given me any information all you have done is ask questions and be rude...i am willing to learn hence why i am in a honda forum asking for information if i didnt want to learn i would be here...being condicending isnt helping me or giving me information...you may have all the answers and thats fine but you have no idea how give people information they are looking for or help from what youve said in the thread i posted all you have done is ask a question and then troll every answer i put down so i probably will go to a different forum because i didnt ask for help for someone elses amusement i asked because i want to learn but you arent willing so im done talking to you

Hook95EG

Many questions - no straight answers

Just take time to think about each question. There's no rush. Then, formulate answers that directly address each question.

It appears that you believe that you have answered the questions, but in reality you have not.
I have set a budget i know what i want to do swap wise...im going to piece together a swap because im not rich and cant afford to buy it all at once...i dont have a set 3k or more or less hence why i said 200-400 a month to piece a build together...im not worried about emissions because im never in the same place more than a couple years...ive given you answers to all your questions you dont seem to get the point im trying to make...i was originally looking for info on how hard swaps are and what swaps work so i dont have to change a wiring harness out and thats it...i wasnt looking for a lecture on emissions and every other aspect of a build i know i have to have money for parts and thats what i can set aside or spend each month so im not worried about giving you full details of my life or build plans i just wanted info on whats possible for a stock swap then i can build from there

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's the mentality like this, with no real direction, that leads to such half done, hack job "builds".

Read, research and come up with a real budget of what you'd like to spend for the project.
This info is out there and has been for 20 yrs now.
If you're going to go b series, there is no point in wasting the money to put into the y7.

im working full time and a full time student while taking care of a family of 6..
Reevaluate your priorities, take that extra money and put it towards a real investment.
Hondas' are not that.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Locking this thread until I can go through it and clean it up. Will re-open shortly.

EDIT: K, re-opened. Wasn't as out of hand as it looked....

@Hook95EG I am going to break down your last post.

I have set a budget i know what i want to do swap wise...im going to piece together a swap because im not rich and cant afford to buy it all at once...i dont have a set 3k or more or less hence why i said 200-400 a month to piece a build together..
We understand that. But you need to set an overall budget for your project. It helps us help you, and helps you help you. $200-400 a month to spend is solid, but with no plan or goal in mind, it's not very helpful. I would first figure out the *total* you're willing to spend on this car. $2000? $20000? The overall budget will help determine your goals. How much power do you want? Start researching engines, gather a parts list, price each part out.

Otherwise, I could just recommend you spend $400/month for the next 36 years to build some 700whp monster. But you probably don't want to spend $14000 over the next 3 years on a Civic, right? This is why a total that you are willing to spend is essentially required.

im not worried about emissions because im never in the same place more than a couple years...
You say that now, but I would look into emissions in the current state you're in. You can find them generally on your states DMV website. I thought just like you when I turbo'd my Civic. Three years later with no inspection (because I would have failed emissions), I got stopped by a state trooper and nearly had my car impounded.

i was originally looking for info on how hard swaps are and what swaps work so i dont have to change a wiring harness out and thats it...
Why did you not mention this if your initial post? All you said is "what can be done"... A LOT can be done. This is why we want an overall budget, to help you. The fact that you mentioned the wiring harness now is great, but put that in your initial post that that we know ahead of time. We can't give you advice if without knowing certain specifics of what you want or do not want.

i just wanted info on whats possible for a stock swap then i can build from there
Depends on your budget. ;)

In all seriousness, I am not trying to be negative or troll in any way. Boofoo is a details guy, he is not asking the questions to troll. He is asking because again, it helps us help you.

It's the mentality like this, with no real direction, that leads to such half done, hack job "builds".

Read, research and come up with a real budget of what you'd like to spend for the project.
This info is out there and has been for 20 yrs now.
If you're going to go b series, there is no point in wasting the money to put into the y7.
Absolutely this. OP, you need a plan. Do it right. The information is out there.

Last edited:

Hook95EG

Locking this thread until I can go through it and clean it up. Will re-open shortly.

EDIT: K, re-opened. Wasn't as out of hand as it looked....

@Hook95EG I am going to break down your last post.

We understand that. But you need to set an overall budget for your project. It helps us help you, and helps you help you. $200-400 a month to spend is solid, but with no plan or goal in mind, it's not very helpful. I would first figure out the *total* you're willing to spend on this car. $2000? $20000? The overall budget will help determine your goals. How much power do you want? Start researching engines, gather a parts list, price each part out.

Otherwise, I could just recommend you spend $400/month for the next 36 years to build some 700whp monster. But you probably don't want to spend $14000 over the next 3 years on a Civic, right? This is why a total that you are willing to spend is essentially required.

You say that now, but I would look into emissions in the current state you're in. You can find them generally on your states DMV website. I thought just like you when I turbo'd my Civic. Three years later with no inspection (because I would have failed emissions), I got stopped by a state trooper and nearly had my car impounded.

Why did you not mention this if your initial post? All you said is "what can be done"... A LOT can be done. This is why we want an overall budget, to help you. The fact that you mentioned the wiring harness now is great, but put that in your initial post that that we know ahead of time. We can't give you advice if without knowing certain specifics of what you want or do not want.

Depends on your budget. ;)

In all seriousness, I am not trying to be negative or troll in any way. Boofoo is a details guy, he is not asking the questions to troll. He is asking because again, it helps us help you.

Absolutely this. OP, you need a plan. Do it right. The information is out there.
I read through the thread again and half the info i thought i posted to tge threat was in a message between myself and someone else thats my fault...im a noob to civics and all that but my overall budget i would have to say is 4k or less and to start i want to do the B18 swap stock and then once i can get more time with my civic and get everything fixed up so it looks decent then look into getting more power but from the other messeges that i have with the other person i know that id go from around 100 to 150 hp just with the swap and thats good enough for me because it will be my daily for a while but once i can get another car ill have the time and hopefully a better job by then i can get more into it and have a better build with a turbo setup...as far as emissions i just havent had a chance to sit down and read through all the states emissions i am in and could possibly be in in the next couple years if anything if i build it and its not i will make it a track car

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my overall budget i would have to say is 4k or less
Perfect. Budget!

and to start i want to do the B18 swap stock and then once i can get more time with my civic and get everything fixed up so it looks decent then look into getting more power but from the other messeges that i have with the other person i know that id go from around 100 to 150 hp just with the swap and thats good enough for me because it will be my daily for a while but once i can get another car ill have the time and hopefully a better job by then i can get more into it and have a better build with a turbo setup
So you have your power goal, your budget, and a plan! A B18 is certainly doable for 4k. Stock, you'll be spending much less, maybe even half your budget. This is not counting potential future turbo, but as you mention, a better job and more money can make that happen afterwards.

Now you just need to research what B18 motor works for you. B18B, B18C, etc. Both are fairly straight forward but if GSR has Vtec will be a bit more pricey, but you'll net a bit more power.

I swapped a JDM B18B into my 97 Civic LX. Cost me roughly $1100 for the motor/trans and a handful of parts. When all was said and done I spent roughly $1700, including paying my friends to help me out with the work.

...as far as emissions i just havent had a chance to sit down and read through all the states emissions i am in and could possibly be in in the next couple years if anything if i build it and its not i will make it a track car
If you have any local forums, I would post there in regards to emissions. Find the site with the info, bookmark it, and just pick through it whenever you have some spare time. I would just hate to see you spend money and time on a car just to get in trouble with it or not be able to drive it.