questions on lowering

sean360

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay so i really need to lower my 98 4door civic but im not sure what to get, i want to lower my car mainly for looks but im not sure, coils or springs. + i herd that if i lower my car i need new shocks too, is that true? or can i get away with the stock ones? and um how low can my car go untill i need to mess with camber kits,

also what are the best springs or coils for the money

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
coilovers -- adjustablity
springs -- non adjustable
shocks -- you will need new ones eventually
camber -- 1.5" or lower for kit ???

just guesses

sean360

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i herd that coils come with a new shocks or something is that true

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
full coilovers come with the shocks too. but thos things are $800+. i dont think you need these just for looks.

"shocks -- you will need new ones eventually" - dont listen to him. get shocks the same time you get your springs/coils. it will save you a lot of time and afford later on, trust me.

if you mainly just looking for looks, i suggst just going with something lik groundcontrols with the height adjustability, so you can dump it as low as you want and couple that with some tokico or koni if you can afford it.

technically anything over 1.5 inch you need camber kits.

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah get shocks the same time if you can, or you will get owned like me on the freeway.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha or just CHOPP your springs lol, that always works haha, but yeah id say ground controls, they aight if your not willing to spend for a full set of tokico or koni,

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, two things wrong with what you just said.

one, NEVER and i repeat NEVER cut your springs. the spring rate of your springs will be horrible. you be bouncing all over the place and you would regret ever doing it.

two, if you get ground controls, get shocks. coilover sleeves tend to have rather high spring rate and your stock shock will not be able to handle it.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by imazn

two, if you get ground controls, get shocks. coilover sleeves tend to have rather high spring rate and your stock shock will not be able to handle it.
well i think that my skunk2 coilovers on my stock shocks are working just fine for now.. havent blown (yet) but i also dont have the money for new s**t so ... bleh

as for the main topic of the thread..

if this guy is lowering his car juts for looks, i suggest that he just needs a set of H&R springs (yeah, SPRINGS) its a smoother ride (compared to coilovers) and he can get away without the buyin of new shocks...

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just remember what car you have when you reccomend to keep the stock shocks. a si has stiffer/stronger stock shocks that can take a bit of lowering without much harm or loss of ride quality. the shocks on a 98 4 door on the other hand cant take much drop before they will perform poorly and blow. even a small drop on the stock shocks will result in garbage ride and handling

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by BioHazard
haha or just CHOPP your springs lol, that always works haha, but yeah id say ground controls, they aight if your not willing to spend for a full set of tokico or koni,
NO do not chop your springs!! My hommie drives a 2000 civic EX and he f*cked up his car.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
even on SI shocks, the 400+ spring rate of those junk2 coilovers will be too much. i bet your shocks are blown you jsut dont know it. i personally will not sacrifice it for a garbage ride and crappy handling. buy the shocks !

CivicEmotion

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you dont have the money, and u just want it for looks then u can get away with just buying coilovers. You just can't drop it all the way or it will feel like your ridin' on rocks. I drove around for about a year with just coilovers and stock shocks, it wasn't to bad. But since i got my Tokico's its a world of difference, if you can spear the exptra 250 for shocks, DO IT!!

P.S If you do the installations yourself it is alot easier to do them at the same time.

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say listin to imazn his rank used to be suspension wh0re

mjms81

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aight, I got me a 2002 civic ex coupe, & i'm thinkin' about buyin' some rims. Of course i'm gonna have to lower it, & i am being told different suggestions. Some say to get eveything done, like changing the stock suspensions (may void my warranty). That would cost me about $1200. Others say to just change the springs and would only cost about $200 - $300. I'm a rookie with this stuff and I need some help, so I figured this place was the best place to go.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
me too, 96 sedan. only really want to drop about 1.5"

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for a 1.5" drop you have eibach pro-kit which are pretty good springs. mix that with kyb shocks and you have a nice setup going on