Quick Release Steering Wheel

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi everyone.

I am about to purchase my dream Civic and I have decided that my first modification would be a quick release steering wheel. Basically, just because I know that the model Civic that I plan to get is one of the most stolen cars in the nation (probably). I don't know what to look for, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have searched some other threads but haven't been able to answer my question. So I am not an oblivious idiot who doesn't know what the 'Search' button is. So please don't tantalize me.

Thanks in advanced.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, you're going to need a hub, quick release, and a steering wheel. Hub mounts to the steering shaft first, then one end of the quick release mounts to the hub and the other half to the steering wheel.

I personally like and went with NRG for the hub and quick release. They are top notch and I expect nothing less for my safety. A lot of people seem to go towards the cheap ebay crap ones because of the price, but something like that I won't recommend on account out of a moral conscience.

If you go with NRG, I recommend getting one of them in the thin model. Either the hub or the quick release (or even). I had the normal ones on both and the steering wheel stuck out too far for my liking.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont forget the lock..without the lock just about any 6 bolt wheel can turn right on

Nebster66

yesSIR-S
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey! Nice decision and I would definitely go with lethal6 and what he had to say...
Now, 2slo4u also brought up a GREAT point about the Hub Lock.
Brands: NRG Innovations, Works Bell, eBay s**t, etc.
Go with NRG because that is what I have on my Civic EG hatchback and I luv it!
A Hub Lock is your choice but I would recommend it cause basically if you live in a urban area, it would be best!
And just a note: a standard hub and quick release work, but that means your stacking too many items onto one another and when the steering wheel is installed on the other half of the quick release its practically right in yo face! j/k kdding
But it would be best if you checked out a complete kit like this off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-QUICK-RELEASE-STEERING-COMBO-KIT-3-PIECES-HONDA-JDM-/390289344190?hash=item5adf0ec6be&item=390289344190&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Good luck and hope it works out for you...
Ben-jammin'

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah stick with the short hub..you dont want to be too far from the turn signals where you'll have to take your hands off the steering wheel

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't need the middle adapter you posted.

Here is my set up in order of installation:

HUB: http://new.getnrg.com/products/quick-release-kits/short-hub/feed

QUICK RELEASE: http://new.getnrg.com/products/quick-release-kits/gen-1.0/srk-100cf Yes it's first Gen but I have had it for over 8 years now in about 4 different vehicles and it has worked like a champ the whole time.

WHEEL: http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/mod-07-steering-wheel-2.html
Are these compatable with most Honda's? As in, are they universal? If I wanted a different 6-bolt MOMO wheel, would that work? I feel as if I am being a dips*** by asking these questions, so bear with me for a while. Then I will stop pestering you guys.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its ok to ask questions, we all start somewhere..the hub has to be one for your car..if you wanted to use a different wheel you'll just have to swap the quick release over

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its ok to ask questions, we all start somewhere..the hub has to be one for your car..if you wanted to use a different wheel you'll just have to swap the quick release over
Thanks for the info and the support. I am also a member of ClubRSX and anytime I ask a question on there, I will get a saracstic answer or get dumped on by dickheads. I also must say that I love seeing your Civic around the site. Its a shame that you sold it. But if it was for family reasons, then it had to be worth it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No worries. Like 2slo said, we all started somewhere. These are legit questions.

ANY 6 bolt momo will work, so will NRG, Sparco, Nardi, and most other wheels that are 6 bolt.

You need the hub that is for your car. Splines on the steering shaft differ from some of the models. Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW the link you posted to the eBay ad for ITB motorsports is a good one. ITB is a good legit company as well as an authorized MOMO and NRG dealer. I have purchased 3 different hubs from them and 2 different MOMO steering wheels. Good people there.