R.I.P. Servicemen and Friends

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I figured I'd make this thread for anyone to add to in case they've lost anyone from the war. So add your post in here if you've lost anyone. You can post a story, a news article, photos, etc.

And please, for the love of God, you can hate the war, or Bush, or whatever, but KEEP IT OUT of this thread out of respect.

Helpful link: http://www.defenselink.mil/news/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was a freshman in high school I had a a boyfriend named Dave and Dave had a best friend named Carl. Dave and I introduced our best friends, Chrissy and Carl, to each other one day at my parents' house in Dover, DE. they hit it off from that moment on. We were all around 14-15 or so at the time.

Later Chrissy and I had a falling out. Because of the small size of Delaware though, everyone knows everyone. So I still heard about her on occasion. A few years ago I heard that she and Carl had gotten married and moved to Hawaii. I heard that Carl was in the Air Force too.

Just today I learnt that Chrissy had one daughter already (she's around a year old; she had been due in July of 2005) and she's currently pregnant with her second child.

Just a few days ago on the 1st of July Carl was killed in Iraq. His roommate failed to properly clear his rifle before cleaning it. The round hit Carl in his chest. He was 22. Chrissy should also be 22 right now.

Airman from Smyrna killed in Iraq

By MIKE BILLINGTON
The News Journal
07/03/2006

A 22-year-old Smyrna man serving with the 886th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron was killed Saturday in Iraq.

Airman 1st Class Carl Jerome Ware Jr. died in a noncombat-related incident, according to the Pentagon.

The circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation, according to a statement from the 15th Airlift Wing at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii. Ware was normally assigned to the Hickam wing and was serving on detached duty with the 886th in Iraq.

He was stationed at Camp Bucca when he died. Details of what happened were sketchy Sunday, Hickam personnel said.

"We lost a valuable member of the Hickam Air Force Base team and our Air Force family," said Col. John Torres, 15th Air Wing commander.

Torres said that Air Force personnel are providing assistance to Ware's family and friends. When his body will be flown home and when funeral services will be held have not been decided.

Ware is the 14th Delaware member of the armed forces to be killed in the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was a 2002 graduate of Smyrna High School.

Last edited:

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gosh, this thread is going to make me cry.

Rest in peace Carl, we'll miss you.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
r.i.p josh ..god please keep us safe as my friends, coworks and myself go to iraq soon

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just found out someone I knew back in DE... he was gettign out of the service (we're almost all Air Force back there). Well, they decided to deploy him right before he gets out. He's pissed because he'll be missing some weddings and most of his summer. He was just in Qatar last summer too. Come to find out (liek the week before I mved out here I think...) he liked me and he thought we were going out, only he never said anything to me... so I moved out here.

I had to tell him I was sorry. It was just a really shitty situation because he's a good friend of mine. We don't even talk much anymore now though. Nothing to talk about. I just hope Dominic's safe overseas this time too.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I just found out someone I knew back in DE... he was gettign out of the service (we're almost all Air Force back there). Well, they decided to deploy him right before he gets out. He's pissed because he'll be missing some weddings and most of his summer. He was just in Qatar last summer too. Come to find out (liek the week before I mved out here I think...) he liked me and he thought we were going out, only he never said anything to me... so I moved out here.

I had to tell him I was sorry. It was just a really shitty situation because he's a good friend of mine. We don't even talk much anymore now though. Nothing to talk about. I just hope Dominic's safe overseas this time too.
qatar is like a vacation. i wish i could go back

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mavrick said:
qatar is like a vacation. i wish i could go back
Yeah, funniest thing happened to him while he was there too... Okay... Land of No Sun or whatever and all that. So He'd go outside to pee. He was half tanned and it was so weird to see. :lol:

Does no one else have anythign to post though? It doesn't have to be current. it doesn't have to be that you lost someone there. Just that they're over there, or going, or somewhere along those lines. =)

Zax_Burner

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread is really going to hurt some people, having to hear what goes on over there. I'm not going to even express anyone I know that has been there, or that has lost their life, cause I don't think there would be enough room to type up the names of fellow soldiers that have fought and died in the Middle East. Many incidents are careless errors, which could be prevented, some aren't though. It's just amazing to hear about some of the s**t that our fellow U.S. citizens are saying. Just the other day when I spoke with my Aunt, she had said her friend's husband was standing in line at her book store, and in front of him, was a fellow soldier that had just returned from deployment, and someone accused him of being a baby killer. s**t like that, just blows my f**king mind. Another thing, the other day when I was watching this documentary on skin heads, at the very end they burnt an american flag. They really got me fired up. The war is over, but conflict will continue for many more years to come, and i'm willing to sacrifice myself, for the freedom of this great country. God bless all my fellow soldiers on deployment, and in the U.S.

Zax_Burner

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
http://www.militarytimes.com/projects/flash/4000/

Well, I probably should have updated this when I found out, but I nearly forgot I made this thread.

It's been awhile by now and some of you might have heard about this in the news, but it was found out that Carl's death might have not been as much of an accident as initially reported.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/1930456.html

Wikipedia said:
On July 1, 2006, Airman 1st Class Carl Jerome Ware Jr. of the 886th Expeditionary Security Force Squadron assigned to Camp Bucca died of non-combat related injuries. Initial reports stated that the airmen was killed by an accidental discharge of a gun being cleaned by another airman, however in February, 2007, it was reported that Airman 1st Class Kyle J. Dalton, of the 15th Security Forces Squadron, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii, had been charged on November 30, 2007 with one count of murder and failure to obey a lawful order in relation to the shooting. Dalton also faced a charge of assault for a separate incident that occurred on June 30, 2006 involving Ware and another airman. Dalton, who was deployed in the Middle East at the time the charges were brought, had an Article 32 hearing and was Court-martialed on April 23, 2007 at Langley Air Force Base. As part of a plea bargain deal, Dalton pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter and violating a lawful general regulation by drawing or aiming a firearm when deadly force was unnecessary. Dalton was sentenced to 10 years in prison, given a dishonorable discharge, reduced in rank from Senior Airman to Airman Basic and ordered to forfeit all pay and allowances. Dalton admitted to the court that he tracked Ware with his pistol in the barracks and pulled the trigger thinking the weapon was unloaded. He also admitted that he had previously aimed a loaded M-4 carbine at another airmen.
His second little girl was born shortly after his death. Her name is Carly. Both the girls are absolutely adorable.

Death of airman brings murder charge
Hickam airman killed in shooting accident
Airman charged with murdering fellow airman
At Langley, airman pleads guilty in death of bunkmate in Iraq

R.I.P.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow. unexceptable. but atleast he owned up to it and told the truth

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i heared on the radio that deaths from the war are over 4K God thats a lot of people for a war thats going no were.... under 3k people died in 911 ... the war has killed more men and women than reason why this started in the fisrt place!

RIP G.I's

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I don't personally know anybody Killed In Action.

I have seen some terrible scars, missing limbs, etc... on many people I've met though.

Is it all in vain? Only time will tell.

Am I grateful for their courage, patriotism, and sacrifice? Abso-f**kin'-lutely.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's such a shame that the country keeps sending these guys to die. :(

I can't see the worth in this war when I look at the photos of my friend's kids. They don't have a dad anymore. And for what?

It's so weird. I just recently found her online after not talked to her for years. I still haven't really talked to her much (one message), but I guess I don't really even know what to say. I feel so out of touch. I know her, but I don't.

I don't know if anyone caught the link I posted earlier. You can find people here:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's such a shame that the country keeps sending these guys to die. :(

I can't see the worth in this war when I look at the photos of my friend's kids. They don't have a dad anymore. And for what?

It's so weird. I just recently found her online after not talked to her for years. I still haven't really talked to her much (one message), but I guess I don't really even know what to say. I feel so out of touch. I know her, but I don't.

I don't know if anyone caught the link I posted earlier. You can find people here:
i totally agree.. the death toll in the middle east is f**king ridiculous..

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was deployed with this guy. i remember the day this happened

Air Force Maj. Troy L. Gilbert

34, of Litchfield Park, Ariz.; assigned to the 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.; died Nov. 27 when his F-16C fighter crashed 20 miles northwest of Baghdad. Gilbert was previously carried as "Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown," awaiting positive DNA identification of remains from the crash site.

House Special

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my heart goes out also. I have a friend in the marines getting ready to go to Iraq and I fear for him too

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
god be with EVERYONE out there, it's unbelievable we continue sending more and more people out there. My brother in law leaves in May for Iraq, my heart goes to him.