racing techniques

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
I know how to drive motherfucker. god. you think I am retarded????
I don't think he was trying to be hostle.. just mention that its easy to get in over your head if you're trying to do learn too much too fast.

Autocrossing is a great way for beginners to start racing. My suggestion would be to start that using the techniques you know now. As you get better and start to find your own limitations, you can learn new techniques and grow. Thats essentially what I'm doing, and it feels great, and I'm learning how to race effectively very very quickly

rexxxgirl

i want a new hatch!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry for being kinda bitchy- but for real, that's like the second time that I have been asking about stuff and someone is like you're a noob, don't worry about it. how am I ever gonna learn????? It just pisses me off. I might not know alot- but I know how to drive. s**t.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
I've never seen the need. As far as I know its really only used on older cars. But if its working for you more power to ya.
It is mostly used on older cars, but i can really notice smoother shifting even when i do use it. i can maiantain or accelerate better when i do it. But then again my clutch isn't in the best of shape thanks to some f**kign girl that i tried to teach to drive....f**k...last time i do that. She literally had the damn thing smoking....

that's not to say that girls can't drive. just this one was dumb as a post and ditzy as f**k. She was hot though...except psycho, but that's another story.....

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
sorry for being kinda bitchy- but for real, that's like the second time that I have been asking about stuff and someone is like you're a noob, don't worry about it. how am I ever gonna learn????? It just pisses me off. I might not know alot- but I know how to drive. s**t.
and how are you supposed to learn if you don't ask? It's cliche, but the only dumb question is one that goes unasked.

that's why i'm going nuts with a whole shitload of questions lately, which i'm sure leave people shaking their heads sometimes. Oh well, i don't care, only way i'll learn

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
y double clutch when racing....like drag theres no need for it cause u dont shift down lol.........drag is the only real racing i like....when u have to turn and s**t that sucks....i want to see how fast my car will car against another car....not how good we are at turning fast....i like power and speed...not turning

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
That happens a little too much. I'm sure I do it too. For starters, the basics; slow in fast out, brake before the turn, accellerate through it. Once you do a few races (if you haven't already) you can advance to left foot braking and more complicated things. A great book I've been reading on driving techniques is "Secrets of Solo Racing," it has a lot of good information and most importantly a good explination on the physics behind every technique it teaches.

Is there a certain type of racing you're in or trying to get into?

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Chaos said:
y double clutch when racing....like drag theres no need for it cause u dont shift down lol.........drag is the only real racing i like....when u have to turn and s**t that sucks....i want to see how fast my car will car against another car....not how good we are at turning fast....i like power and speed...not turning
oh i don't double clutch when dragging. but then again I don't drag that much, no real point in a stock d16y7 i think it is engine. what am i going to do?? sweet f**k all

just my opinon, but i think it takes more skill to take your car through the turns, and maintain or accelerate your speeds through the turns. it's one thing to go in a straight line and give 'er (which can be fun too, don't get me wrong), i just think it's way more fun to hit the turns. that's why i'll take F1 s**t any day over any othhr kind of racing (drag or nascar, f**k i hate nascar. how hard is it to drive in a circle?!?!?!!?), except for rally racing

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Chaos said:
Have you tried other racing? Drag only tests your car.. not yourself. I find it far more interesting to test my own skills... there isn't much more exciting than driving a slow little civic and posting a faster time than an evo :woot:

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
oh i don't double clutch when dragging. but then again I don't drag that much, no real point in a stock d16y7 i think it is engine. what am i going to do?? sweet f**k all

just my opinon, but i think it takes more skill to take your car through the turns, and maintain or accelerate your speeds through the turns. it's one thing to go in a straight line and give 'er (which can be fun too, don't get me wrong), i just think it's way more fun to hit the turns. that's why i'll take F1 s**t any day over any othhr kind of racing (drag or nascar, f**k i hate nascar. how hard is it to drive in a circle?!?!?!!?), except for rally racing
Dude Rally FTMFW! That has to be the rawwest form of racing there is

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Have you tried other racing? Drag only tests your car.. not yourself. I find it far more interesting to test my own skills... there isn't much more exciting than driving a slow little civic and posting a faster time than an evo :woot:
You've done that!??!?! I'm impressed. The guy in the evo bother to still show up at the track???

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Dude Rally FTMFW! That has to be the rawwest form of racing there is
For sure. there's no bigger rush in the world. Flying through the twists and turns, racing the clock, just you, your nav, the car and the road, no other worries (except for the clock i guess)

i can just imagine it now

f**k gives me chills, i miss it

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
You've done that!??!?! I'm impressed. The guy in the evo bother to still show up at the track???
To be 110% completely honest, it was raining before the races started, and he ran first heat whereas I ran 3rd. So the tarmac was still a little wet when he was on it. But still, it boiled down to driving skill. We were both noobs (novices on the first race of the season). I was working the course when he ran, and he just didn't have the finess... he did fine, but he wasn't taking the corners like he should have, and he wasn't turning properly in the slolom. He was new. Jerky, not smooth. But still with a 300hp AWD deathrocket he should have destroyed me.

Theres another evo that races from time to time, he isn't novice.. and that guy can drive.

But these are things you can't experience at a drag race.. drag is all car, unless you screw up big time

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
For sure. there's no bigger rush in the world. Flying through the twists and turns, racing the clock, just you, your nav, the car and the road, no other worries (except for the clock i guess)

i can just imagine it now

f**k gives me chills, i miss it
Its my dream job... even after watching all those crash videos. How cool would it to be able to say, "yeah, i flipped it. Twelve times before it stopped." You'de be so raw..

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
I find that 90% of the time, most people that make a big stink about knowing how to drive ... are pretty amature. No offense by you, and I don't know your level of skill, but it's just the truth. You do have to crawl before you walk. I learned how to drive on backroads, testing my own car, learning every little detail and nuance. Skill in driving doesn't come from threads like this, or people telling you what to do. It comes from your own personal experience. You need to go out there and push. Start slow, don't throw yourself into a nasty situation right off the bat. Learn the sounds and vibrations and the feelings your car sends to you. Know when your tires will brake loose, know when your suspension will dunk into a dangerous setting. Know every inch of every turn. Know how your tires react wet, dry, hot, cold, dirty, slicked up, anything.

If you don't know your car, then you don't know anything.

You need to learn baby steps before you can even get into some advanced techniques like left-foot-braking, heel-toe, clutch-kicking a rwd car, etc. These are things not to be taken lightly.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
...but the only dumb question is one that goes unasked...
Remember, there are no dumb questions.
*Person raises hand*
Yes you, the retard with the dumb question.

rexxxgirl

i want a new hatch!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Is there a certain type of racing you're in or trying to get into?
probably at first drag, because, I don't know much about racing, and it seems easier than other stuff. plus there's a strip near me.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TheWingMang said:
Its my dream job... even after watching all those crash videos. How cool would it to be able to say, "yeah, i flipped it. Twelve times before it stopped." You'de be so raw..
and who can compete with you when you've got stories like that to tell????

It was hella fun. f**k won a couple of races, but i was navigator for those...placed 3rd in the one where i drove, and didn't place in the other cause i got bad directions and my nav took me right off course, coudn't make up the time in the end, stupid f**ker, who can't read a f**king map!?!?!?

TheWingMang said:
Skill in driving doesn't come from threads like this, or people telling you what to do. It comes from your own personal experience.
I definately agree. No substitue for experience and knowing the limits of your ride. but threads like these can open doors for new techniques to try. then it's just a matter of practise, trial and error. With me seems like more errors though with heel/toe and LFB.......................................................................for now anyways

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rexxxgirl said:
probably at first drag, because, I don't know much about racing, and it seems easier than other stuff. plus there's a strip near me.
I personally think drag would be a waste of time, money, and tires because theres only so much you can learn about shifting up. But thats my personal bias, a lot of it is unfounded, and drag racing is very popular so theres probably something to it.

The Sports Car Club of America has regions all across the country, and almost all of them run autocross every(other) Sunday. Its a really great way to get started, its cheap ($25 at mine), its not dangerous, and its not too hard on the car either. Its great because it lets you experience many different types of track situations (ie, hairpins, sloloms, chicanes, roundabouts, etc) in a safe environment. . If nothing else, its free to spectate, so go and see if it looks interesting to you

Link!

Edit: forgot the link... DUH!

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
and who can compete with you when you've got stories like that to tell????

It was hella fun. f**k won a couple of races, but i was navigator for those...placed 3rd in the one where i drove, and didn't place in the other cause i got bad directions and my nav took me right off course, coudn't make up the time in the end, stupid f**ker, who can't read a f**king map!?!?!?

I definately agree. No substitue for experience and knowing the limits of your ride. but threads like these can open doors for new techniques to try. then it's just a matter of practise, trial and error. With me seems like more errors though with heel/toe and LFB.......................................................................for now anyways
What were you driving when you raced rally? and what conditions were you in (snow, dirt, mud, tarmac)?

Heel toeing takes practice. Thats all there is to it. It seems like I generally learn techniques fairly quickly, but it took a good month till I felt comfortable with it. Just play with it every chance you get and don't give up. Its sweet once you get it down

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
You need to learn baby steps before you can even get into some advanced techniques like left-foot-braking, heel-toe, clutch-kicking a rwd car, etc. These are things not to be taken lightly.
What's clutch kicking? Know it's something i can't do since you mention a rwd, but i'm still curious...

TheWingMang said:
What were you driving when you raced rally? and what conditions were you in (snow, dirt, mud, tarmac)?
96 Civic Cx with a b16a2, dropped down about 2" with some neuspeed racing springs, few other engine mods. that car was quick. It was a friend of mine's car. Mostly the roads were a mix of dirt/gravel and tarmac. Some of them were brutal old logging roads, big potholes and s**t that we'd have to maneuver around.

No other feeling in the world though when you're racing though. No other high can or will compare to it. can't stress that enough