racing techniques

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96 Civic Cx with a b16a2, dropped down about 2" with some neuspeed racing springs, few other engine mods. that car was quick. It was a friend of mine's car. Mostly the roads were a mix of dirt/gravel and tarmac. Some of them were brutal old logging roads, big potholes and s**t that we'd have to maneuver around.

No other feeling in the world though when you're racing though. No other high can or will compare to it. can't stress that enough
Yeah.. thats definately on the 'before I die' list. Really cool that you got to do it. How many times did you race? Any big wipeout stories?

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Definately something you've gotta do. We joined the club towards it's end unfortunately. It folded a couple of months afterwards. We got to do 5 races, but i only drove for 2 of them. No big stories to wipe out. I mean we had some, but s**t nothing bad or anything. Nothing worth telling.

I mean like biggest wipeout, we were coming up on a 70 degree (or so)right turn, hit it going way too fast, overcompensated with the steering and had the car going sideways (in the way that you look out the windshield and your looking at the trees on the side of the road, have to look out your driver side window to follow the actual road) through the turn, right off into the ditch. luckily wasn't a big ditch or anything, able to drive away and keep going, but enough to make us s**t our pants

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
I find that 90% of the time, most people that make a big stink about knowing how to drive ... are pretty amature. No offense by you, and I don't know your level of skill, but it's just the truth. You do have to crawl before you walk. I learned how to drive on backroads, testing my own car, learning every little detail and nuance. Skill in driving doesn't come from threads like this, or people telling you what to do. It comes from your own personal experience. You need to go out there and push. Start slow, don't throw yourself into a nasty situation right off the bat. Learn the sounds and vibrations and the feelings your car sends to you. Know when your tires will brake loose, know when your suspension will dunk into a dangerous setting. Know every inch of every turn. Know how your tires react wet, dry, hot, cold, dirty, slicked up, anything.

If you don't know your car, then you don't know anything.

You need to learn baby steps before you can even get into some advanced techniques like left-foot-braking, heel-toe, clutch-kicking a rwd car, etc. These are things not to be taken lightly.
very true.....

go out and push your car to it's limits.

You cant go out and expect to be a good driver right away though.
a good driver= an experienced driver
the more experience = more knowledge in different situations .

every driving technique has its own difficulties.

dont say driving in a straight line doesnt require any skill.
because it does.
again you must know your car.
What rpms to launch at. where you power band is..ect
sure your car my be able to rev up to 8000... but what good does it do if your hp peaks at 6500.

=)

renegadex96 said:
What's clutch kicking? Know it's something i can't do since you mention a rwd, but i'm still curious...
Kicking the clutch is when you basically do just that... kick the clutch..
it can be used in different ways. To break traction or to help accelerate.
Just depends.

Anyways go out and get some experience....but do it at a safe place. :D

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, clutch-kicking is mainly a rwd skill, but I use it from time and again. It tends to induce understeer pretty well, but it's basically just a dirty trick that's fun to throw out there sometimes :lol:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
Yeah, clutch-kicking is mainly a rwd skill, but I use it from time and again. It tends to induce understeer pretty well, but it's basically just a dirty trick that's fun to throw out there sometimes :lol:
I used to do "clutch-kicking", never knew what it was called haha.. Used to do it around turns to scare people. I remember doing it around a turn, and a older explorer was stopped at the red light, and I kicked the clutch, rear end came around and I still can't stop laughing at the faces on the driver and passenger..

It's somethat that takes skill though, I remember screwing up at the local industrial area when I was messing around (Mind you, this area has NO pedistrians and basicly NO traffic, so I was in a somewhat controlled area). Something as Eran said, a dirty little trick to learn, but usual at times.

Maiku

What's up my Ninja?!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
After my last thread, just got me wondering what other techniques you guys(and gals) use when you're on the track. I mean obviosuly you've got your doubl clutching and the left foot braking and heel/toe stuff. Any other stuff you peeps use?
why would you double clutch when you have synchros?

Maiku

What's up my Ninja?!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The one thing I do on a daily bases is rev matching, sometimes I'll randomly heel-toe and left foot brake, but I don't left foot brake in traffic.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
Understeer?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
Understeer?
Yes.....

Do you not know what understeer and oversteer are?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He may just refer to it, like most people, as sliding and spinning out :lol:

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
Yes.....

Do you not know what understeer and oversteer are?
What's the point of inducing understeer?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
What's the point of inducing understeer?
to reduce the amount of interia and speed lost in a corner.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TougeRunner said:
why would you double clutch when you have synchros?
I know that I don't have to do it because of syncros, but it's still easier on them. i just find that when i do double clutch, it slides easier into gear, less jerking. Keep in mind that my clutch isn't in the best of shape, and i can actually hear the syncros, i'm gonna say chirping for lack of a better term sometimes when shifting.

Word of advice, when you try to teach someone how to drive a stick make sure they have half a brain

rexxxgirl

i want a new hatch!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea dude this one chick- told me she used ot have a crx and it was a five speed and she wanted to drive my oh so bad. so I let her. guess wht??? we get in my car and it dies 3 times befores she can even get it in gear and I'm lik shitttt. then later I found out her mom had a crx and she drove it maybe once. and she didn'tknow how to drive stick. wtf???? way to f**k up my car...... I mean- I already had to learn on it, and I'm not the brightest. lol.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In a rear wheel drive i can see why you could kick the clutch to initiat a drift or a power slide..

i dont know why you would kick the clutch to understeer in a front wheel drive car .

if you want to hit the corner hard and have traction and control learn to use the left foot brake technic.

here is a link on how to.
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/leftfootbraking.html

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can deal with stalilng the car a few times, that's no biggie. Happens to everyone learning. BUt man this chick would ride the clutch so bad. I'd be telling her, yo let it out, not so much gas...but you just hear it spinning and cooking away. I've had my car smoking before from the brakes and s**t, but never have i seen it smoke from the clutch..first time for everything. When i got it changed, holy s**t, you should've seen it....burnt!!

she would try to go up this hill, let the clutch out like maybe a quarter of the way, and have the gas pressed almost to the floor. Felt like b***h slapping her

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
racing_kid_05 said:
In a rear wheel drive i can see why you could kick the clutch to initiat a drift or a power slide..

i dont know why you would kick the clutch to understeer in a front wheel drive car .

if you want to hit the corner hard and have traction and control learn to use the left foot brake technic.

here is a link on how to.
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/leftfootbraking.html
Because in a FWD car, you induce understeer after the apex to carry you through the corner. It's not necessary, but it's effective and fun. Traction is not always necessary.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I find that if you play a Selputura cd really loud that you will drive better :headbang:

The only other advice I can give is to go to the dyno and find out at what rpm your power curve tops off and shift at that rpm, red lining is just a bunch of noise ;)