rack and pinion or inner tie rods? how to differentiate?

fabster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi all,

I've searched and didn't find a post that is related to diagnosing. I have play in my steering both parked and driving. I've done a check on both wheels off the ground and I see play in both inner tie rods in addition to no grease in both boots. How can I know if I should just replace both inner tie rods or the whole rack and pinion? Is it a good assumption that if both have play it's the R&P or not necessarily? I've also heard of adjusting the R&P, when is that in order? Thanks!

fabster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boofoo,

Thanks. That's fair and helpful. I don't have power steering fluid leaking. So the fact that both inner tie rods have play don't seem to suggest to you that it's the rack and pinion itself? I figured inner tie rods likely go out at different times instead of as a pair. I'd appreciate thoughts on this. Thanks!

fabster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as an update I went ahead and replaced both inner and outer tie rods on both sides. It wasn't too difficult. However, I still have some minor play which probably points to the rack and pinion but it's much better.