Radiator leaking, need help!

D15B7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My 92 Hatch is leaking coolant as it warms up. The leak is just below the radiator cap, but it is not the cap. I have tried a few molds on the outside to get it to stop but it will not stop leaking. I am looking to put in some sealant from the local auto parts store but have never tried it before. My questions is, have any of you ever tried the solution you place in the radiator fluid, let the engine run, then drain it and refill. Does it work? What are the risks and what kind do I buy. I can follow the instructions but I wasn’t sure if it will be a safe and permanent fix. Thank you.

Kristian

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a new one!

D15B7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you for the brilliant comment. But if you could read I'm sure you would know you didn't answer my question. "Kristian," your post is pointless. :roll:

If anyone ELSE has some input to my problem at hand I would appreciate it, thank you.

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "D15B7"

My 92 Hatch is leaking coolant as it warms up. The leak is just below the radiator cap, but it is not the cap. I have tried a few molds on the outside to get it to stop but it will not stop leaking. I am looking to put in some sealant from the local auto parts store but have never tried it before. My questions is, have any of you ever tried the solution you place in the radiator fluid, let the engine run, then drain it and refill. Does it work? What are the risks and what kind do I buy. I can follow the instructions but I wasn’t sure if it will be a safe and permanent fix. Thank you.
well i dont know, wish i could help. try it and see if it works

Kristian

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok then.. lets put it like this....

I have never heard of anything that works...they are just trying to rip u off...the only way to fix it is to get a new radiator....

did u like that answer better?

99CX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the hole isnt very big, I would try an internal sealant like BARSLEAK or something like that, if that doesn't work your going to need a new Radiator, if you dont want to buy a new one, try and find a Del Sol VTEC radiator, they are small and work very well

JDM_Ej

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can find a radiator for a civic like that for around $130 and you can change it yourself with minor hand tools in about a half hour. Worth just replacing it.

13hybrid20

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you like walking? Fix it right take care of your car and it will take care of you my friend. :lol: