random fog lights rant

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know this topic has been butchered to death, so i'll try to keep it short. i'm not asking for help because i've installed these cheapo ebay ones myself...... so i've had it for about a year and it worked great till it died, i'm pretty sure its just a loose connection somewhere. the amazing thing is i used the included wire harness and it actually worked lol.

i'm probably gonna take everything apart to try and figure out where the problem is sometime soon, maybe take pics of the connections if interested. i know some people on this board had went out to pepboys and bought that harness for like $20 but i went out to see what it looks like.... and couldnt find it. i just saw some really dinky ones for like $7 but it looks nowhere near the quality of even my included one..... meep!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Maybe a fuse or a short. The harness isn't all that complicated so it should be easy to figure out.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nope, i double checked the fuse

the shorting is a possibility, i just havent had time lately to check with the voltmeter

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so upon further investigation, i figured out that i am no longer getting power to my switch. i used C929 [option IG2] on the fuse box. this port is connected to fuse #17 a.k.a. A/C system and power mirror, and the fuse is still good.

i'm still puzzled why there is no power there, must be a loose connection somewhere in the box

TO BE CONTINUED....!

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was bored sitting there while trying to figure out this problem so i mapped out my ebay fog light's wire harness, hope this helps someone

btw, i'm no electrician so excuse my horrible use of symbols

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is that really the eBay harness? So different over OEM...

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that wiring looks great! as for the problem. i'd try to hardwire it witout a fuse first to see if you get power. the relay on em go bad. it will click and still the contact wont be good enough. the ground needs to be short and solid. the voltmeter will asnswer lots of problems. i wont even touch an electrical scene w/o one nearby. good luck.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is that really the eBay harness? So different over OEM...
sure is

Check the relay.
relay to what? i'm not sure where option ig2's relay is... if there is one =X
all my other options work tho

that wiring looks great! as for the problem. i'd try to hardwire it witout a fuse first to see if you get power. the relay on em go bad. it will click and still the contact wont be good enough. the ground needs to be short and solid. the voltmeter will asnswer lots of problems. i wont even touch an electrical scene w/o one nearby. good luck.
i know... i should know better to have one on hand but i was too eager, i had one at work but forgot to bring it home

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Im the one that told everyone to get that $20 Pep Boys harness. It works great and connects straight to the battery, no need for this fuse box bullshit.

Maybe some Pep Boys dont have them. I tried looking online and I couldnt find it. Ill go to Pep Boys and ill see if I can find the SKU number.
Its in a blister packaging and it says "12v fog light harness", or something like that.

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im the one that told everyone to get that $20 Pep Boys harness. It works great and connects straight to the battery, no need for this fuse box bullshit.

Maybe some Pep Boys dont have them. I tried looking online and I couldnt find it. Ill go to Pep Boys and ill see if I can find the SKU number.
Its in a blister packaging and it says "12v fog light harness", or something like that.
theres one issue about this.... if the pepboys harness is connected straight to the battery, this means it won't turn on/off simultaniously with driving lights, correct? if so i'll stick with mine.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
theres one issue about this.... if the pepboys harness is connected straight to the battery, this means it won't turn on/off simultaniously with driving lights, correct? if so i'll stick with mine.
Nopes.. You can run the power wire to your head lights and have them turn off simultaneously with your lights, but I prefer not to do that. I like having my fog lights on in the day time and my head lights off.