Random Photography Discussion Thread

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I figured to keep random posts out of threads, we could "discuss" photography here. What you did, what you're going to do, etc.

I figured out how to fire my SB-600 doing wireless. Very cool! I just hate how the front sensor has to be able to pick up the flash on the camera in order to go off. But it makes sense I guess. Now time to play with lighting!

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i need inspiration to shoot. hopefully ill get some great family/food shots tomorrow. its tough when you're the chef as well!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Werd. I'm taking my gear with me. Maybe nab some pics of some yummy korean food I can post for ya'll. It won't be anything special but food is food!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was just messing with my D80's bracketing function. Very cool. I just need something interesting to shoot to convert to HDR. And I need a damn tripod. I may be able to pull off with a Manfrotto monopod that was given to me but I'd need to lean it up against something.

I spent a lot of time messing with the wireless commander setting for my SB-600 too. Lighting is hard to get! The on-camera flash screws everything up. I need a longer lens. Trying to shoot up close makes the on-camera flash kill everything.

I'm loving this camera more and more!

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What program are you using to merge to hdr?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just picked up my first DSLR on wednesday, a Nikon D3100! i love it so far, ive been taking pictures non stop with it lol. ive been doing beach scenery, my dog, took a few shots when the family was over, etc. basically just taking random shots and playing around with the settings to get the hang of the camera

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just picked up my first DSLR on wednesday, a Nikon D3100! i love it so far, ive been taking pictures non stop with it lol. ive been doing beach scenery, my dog, took a few shots when the family was over, etc. basically just taking random shots and playing around with the settings to get the hang of the camera
Nice!

My D80 stopped working with my SB-600 for some reason. I reset both, the D80 is on TTL mode, the SB-600 is on TTL, the SB-600 works on commander mode off the camera, but my D80 won't fire with my SB-600 hooked up. It focuses and acts like it will take a picture but won't. The flash icon on the top display blinks. Anyone have any idea why this isn't working together anymore?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ because its not sony! just kidding. I have no clue really. Never ran into that issue.

oh, and for your pop up-flash ruining your photos....use a small black poster board card to block the light.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this may be a dumb question because im new to the DSLR world,but what is hdr?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
High dynamic range.
Extending the shadows and highlights beyond beyond the spectrum that can be caught with a single composition which brings out more details

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so its something you do with a program/software after you take the picture?

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I just watched a special on tv about the "Lytro" camera. It seems really cool. Even though it has it's flaws- point and shoot only, to edit it anymore then the "living" pictures your only at 1.2 megapixels, and they only have a Mac version right now, I still think its really cool and I'd like to try it out to see what it's like.

http://www.lytro.com

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so its something you do with a program/software after you take the picture?
You take multiple pictures of the same thing at different exposures, low, middle, and high. Then you merge them in a photo editing program (ie - Photoshop) and then edit it.

Just google image search "hdr". I like a lot of them but I don't like the really fake stuff that looks really cartoonish.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I miss my SB-600 :(. Still waiting for it to come back from Nikon. I think it's been like...3 weeks? Only an estimated 3-5 more!!! :( :(

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
holy crap! i'd be dead without my flash for that long.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just watched a special on tv about the "Lytro" camera. It seems really cool. Even though it has it's flaws- point and shoot only, to edit it anymore then the "living" pictures your only at 1.2 megapixels, and they only have a Mac version right now, I still think its really cool and I'd like to try it out to see what it's like.

http://www.lytro.com
very interesting... if they make a PC version, i would def get one.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
holy crap! i'd be dead without my flash for that long.
Dude I am so bored and feel so naked.... Especially since it's so cold out now and I just shoot indoors. That's partly why I stopped shooting. There aren't enough artificial light sources in my house and tripods are so annoying indoors.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Finally picked up my SB-600 today. It's been just over a month so I got it back sooner than they originally expected. SSSOOO PSYCHED!!!!!!!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I hate you John.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I hate you John.
Yeah, be jelly. I already want to sell my D80 body and upgrade to a D5100 body.

But I also want lenses. Why do I have to be so poor?!?!?!?!?!? I wish I won the lottery. Go figure someone won a 206 million jackpot the day I decided not to buy tickets.