Really hard time removing spark plug

fabster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A few months ago I was getting some hesitation at certain accelerations from stop so I decided to change my spark plugs. I have not been able to remove the plug to cylinder #2 but I went ahead and changed the other three. Now I'm having some misfire codes and I'm thinking it could be related to the old plug and I want to take it out. It was super hard to get it to turn and I've managed to turn it partially out but it feels like I'm at a point where I would have to use something like a breaker bar. I am afraid to break the plug and then have the absolute nightmare of removing it. The threads seem to be gummed up or something to where I can't seem to turn it in either direction. I have tried PB Blaster and carburetor cleaner overnight on cold engine to no avail. I figured there are a couple of possible scenarios:

1 - head gasket has a leak into that cylinder and over time burning of coolant or whatever had gummed up the spark plug threads
2 - the spark plug was cross-threaded by the last person who did it (I'm pretty certain it was not me)

has anyone ever run into a similar situation? Any tips or ideas? Thanks!

If I can't replace the plug I figured I won't be able to chase/diagnose the misfire and will just have to get rid of the car.

fabster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got the spark plug out. It seems to have been cross-threaded the last time it was inserted. It took a breaker bar to get it going The engine has 304k miles so I just powered the new spark plug in figuring it's the last set of spark plugs it will see anyways.