Rebuild or replace with an imported engine?

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I just got a Civic VX. Problem is that the oil rings are shot and it is burning oil badly. It is also misfiring due to the rings letting that much fluid past the rings. Plugs are soaked with oil. Here is my question. Is it worth rebuild the Z1 and hoping the block and head have no damage or should I go to an importer and get the D15B Vtec-e from them? They are the same engines. Any insight?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
depends is it a daily driver or a project car? Whats your budget?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you really only limited to those 2 engines? Are you not looking for any performance? Now would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade.

If you don't know what you're doing, it will be much easier on your end to just buy a swap and slap it in. If you know what you're doing, you could definitely get away with re-building and also knowing it will all be correct.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
If you have the money (and the know how) a b series or a k series swap would be sick!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I were you, I would take advantage of this opportunity to just swap in a better motor. If you have the budget, tools, and the know-how then I'd go for it.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know what I am doing and have many friends that are licensed mechanics. I don't want a swap. I already have a B16A swapped EF on the driveway. This is going to be a daily driver. I plan on going to school and work with it. They are both quite a distance away from my place. I like the sounds of averaging 40+ MPG.

However, the thought of dropping a B18C in there was thought of. Just don't want this to be a money pit.

Edit: The 2 Civics on our driveway actually belong to my brother. I own a Cobalt SS/SC that has a few things done to it. My goal is to get 300+whp and around 300wtrq. It is fully bolted, meth, tvs harrop blower with a 2.8, hp tuners. I get over 40MPG in that car on the highway.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just find an OBD1 LS motor and call it a day.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Depends, if I were to go into an engine like that, I'd just replace everything, oil pump, water pump, all seals, rings, check the head and do the valves. Down side is you wont know what you have to work with till it's all a part. Pretty much, I wouldnt waste my time unless I was going to build it for boost or something. I'd go the easy way and just swap.