Recurring check engine light Code 14

machonda91

So my '91 Civic DX 1.5L DPFI Automatic is throwing off engine code 14 about Idle Air Control. The resistance on the IACV was out of whack, about 2 ohms, and then I cleaned and reset the main ground under the battery. This caused the IACV to measure normal resistance of 14.1, within specs of 8 to 15 ohms. Then I reset the ECU and cleared codes. It ran fine for a few miles and then I shut it off and charged the battery with a 6W mower charger overnight. Got into it today and it's just like last week - check engine light, starts but won't continue running. It will run if I keep my foot on it, for about 20 seconds, then stall out. So I am thinking either the charging activity is overloading something or causing the ground problem again. Or perhaps the IACV gets shorted by charging? I plan to clean the next ground on the negative battery cable, I think it is connected to the transmission. The car ran very well in March, but I do charge the battery because it doesn't get run much. As the fuel, ignition system, were both fully cleaned and replaced a year ago, I think this is a grounding problem of some sort, or an ECU issue. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

machonda91

So I'll throw this out there. Cleaned grounds in engine compartment, battery voltage is better, engine running very cool, top of engine not even warm after 10 minutes. IACV worked after whacking it on the rubber end with the flat side of a hammer many times. Are IACV's dodgy when voltage is low? Or should I replace this one, which is sort of the way I'm thinking.