Reference: Intake Manifold Discussion

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no hes talkin to me cuz im gonna sell my d16y8 stock manifold. I honestly dont know right now, my engine is F*cked. There was a rattling noise coming from the first cylinder (prolly a rod bearing) so I let the car sit till a I could get into honda (i have 29 miles left on my warrenty) and when i started it this morning my head gasket blew and oil just sprayed out. I had to get her towed so I wont have my car back for no less then a week. Prolly will need to be rebuilt (thank you warrenty.) Ill keep you posted though

SilvCiv888

rice rice baby
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm planning to get a d16y8 intake manifold + aem cai onto my d16y7. how much more juice am i gonna get? like 5hp or so at flywheel?

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its hard to say really. prolly about that. maybe a little more.

iamgod

Banned
Originally posted by Progressive Image Racing
If you upgraded you got an intake manifold with longer runners would your intake still fit or would it have to sit farther back?

longer is a relative term, because an inch can make a world of difference

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you will prolly need to get a different intake if its a cool air. If its a short ram it shouldn't be a problem. AEM makes intakes for certain throttle bodies and manifolds.

iamgod

Banned
Originally posted by ImportRacerFF
you will prolly need to get a different intake if its a cool air. If its a short ram it shouldn't be a problem. AEM makes intakes for certain throttle bodies and manifolds.

they dont make their intakes for TB's or IM's per sae, they deign them to work with stock components, but like i said, it all depends on how much longer runners we are talkin here

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No aem makes an intake specifically for the edelbrock manifold and for the type r (skunk2) you just gotta call them on it.

iamgod

Banned
No aem makes an intake specifically for the edelbrock manifold and for the type r (skunk2) you just gotta call them on it.
thats not possible because they do not design intakes to fit on IM's, they design them to fit on TB's.....you could have a custom manifold and a stock throttle body and the design of the intake would be the same

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It not only a question of the shape of the intake but the diamter and filter size. AEM has an intake designed for the edelbrock IM and throttle body package. They also can make one for you if you have a skunk2/type r (taking the diameter they have for a type R and then the shape of your car creates the intake needed.) If your upgrading your IM you should be upgrading your throttle body as well, especially on a civic since it comes with a 58mm. The question is, is it worth getting an AEM or just finding an intake that will fit.

iamgod

Banned
It not only a question of the shape of the intake but the diamter and filter size. AEM has an intake designed for the edelbrock IM and throttle body package. They also can make one for you if you have a skunk2/type r (taking the diameter they have for a type R and then the shape of your car creates the intake needed.) If your upgrading your IM you should be upgrading your throttle body as well, especially on a civic since it comes with a 58mm. The question is, is it worth getting an AEM or just finding an intake that will fit.
go here bro

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9197

read what i posted

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you missing the point. if you left the stock throttle body on yes it would still fit (as long as the runners are the same). AEM has a specific intake out that fits the throttle body and intake manifold of edelbrocks. This mean the length, diamater, and filter size are made specificly for that setup. (which means a better and more smooth flow). If you get a shorter runner that means you bought a manifold for a turbo and therfore the intake is not a question since most turbo set ups come with their own intake system. You can just upgrade you intake manifold and leave your stock throttle body and intake but you best guess is do it all at once. If the intake manifold has only a little bit shorter of runners then you will have to take you intake off your throttle body and position it the amount of change (i.e. if runners are 1/2 inch shorter move it 1/2 in toward the engine and see if it will still fit). If its a short ram it won't matter much. Most aftermarket intake manifolds are the same size runner so its not a question. All the shorter ones are turbo manifolds like i said above.

Depending on the change of size in the throttle body you can still fit the same intake on the different size throttle body all you will need is a new fitting. However, as i mentioned above its better to get an intake designed for the setup because then the diameter and filter size will be changed in order to create the best flow.

Anything else?

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I understand what you saying, but im not talking about leaving the throttle body stock, if you upgrade the manifold to an ITR or TR your going to do the throttle body as well becaue it wont be port matched. On the edelbrock or skunk you can leave the throttle body stock but they dont change the runners any either so its not a question. He was askign if he bought a IM with shorter runners will he need a new intake. If he's putting on shorter runners hes going to need to upgrade his throttle body anyways cuz it wont port match. So New throttle body means new intake or intake fitment

iamgod

Banned
I understand what you saying, but im not talking about leaving the throttle body stock, if you upgrade the manifold to an ITR or TR your going to do the throttle body as well becaue it wont be port matched. On the edelbrock or skunk you can leave the throttle body stock but they dont change the runners any either so its not a question. He was askign if he bought a IM with shorter runners will he need a new intake. If he's putting on shorter runners hes going to need to upgrade his throttle body anyways cuz it wont port match. So New throttle body means new intake or intake fitment
however port matching is done on the INSIDE of the TB, not the outside (before and after the butterfly) which would mean flow velocity would not be hurt as long as the tube is tapered

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So since i got a ITR intake manifold your syaing i have to get a new throttle body as well?

iamgod

Banned
Originally posted by baby99si
So since i got a ITR intake manifold your syaing i have to get a new throttle body as well?

its not necessary but it will help with top end flow, use an ITR TB

baby99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright thanks again you have seriously been the only one to answer my questions about this stuff so thanks bro.

iamgod

Banned
Originally posted by baby99si
Alright thanks again you have seriously been the only one to answer my questions about this stuff so thanks bro.

oh yeah and i recommend no larger then 65mm on a TB if you want a bored out unit

baby99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya i know any bigger is useless on N/A but what size is the ITR?