Reference: OEM Radio Code FAQ Answers

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There seem to be many people looking for this information.. So here we go with some FAQ's

1. What is a radio code?
Honda and many other manufactures put an Anti-Theft security code into the factory radio that locks the radio and prevents it from being used if removed, or disconnected from power. Also locks if the battery is replaced.

2. Where can I get the code?
The code MUST be obtained from either a local dealership (some are funny and require you to bring the car or radio to them and show proof of ownership), or if you bought the car from a Honda dealership, simply call the service department with the radio Serial Number, printed on a barcode label on the radio. If the first dealership you call gives you trouble call another one around you.

3. When do I need to get the code?
I would recommend getting the code as soon as you can. If not when you replace the battery, or re-install the stock radio when going to sell it (if it had been replaced by an aftermarket radio). Or if you are trying to sell your factory radio.

4. Can I guess the code?
NO.

5. Does my radio require a code?
Most factory units in 1998+ Hondas require a code. A quick look at the radio will tell you, if it has a red flashing light, or your window has a small sticker that says anti-theft radio... you will need a code.

6. Ok I got the code now what?
Write down on an index card or right in the manual, anywhere where you will know where it is. I have mine written in the manual on the audio page, and on some masking tape on the radio.

7. I have more questions, what do I do?
PM me or call your dealership.

Last edited:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The radio is not locked forever if you guess five wrong codes.

Unplug the battery and it starts all over again waiting for a new code. (My sister's '98 Integra radio locked up before.)

I know factory radios in '96-'98 Civics should not require a code and if you ask Honda ther's good chance they'll look at you like you're crazy. Been there with my '98 EX.

I keep my code in my wallet on a Honda card. That way iit's not with the radio (in the rare case the dealership makes them show ownership).

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
The radio is not locked forever if you guess five wrong codes.

Unplug the battery and it starts all over again waiting for a new code. (My sister's '98 Integra radio locked up before.)

I know factory radios in '96-'98 Civics should not require a code and if you ask Honda ther's good chance they'll look at you like you're crazy. Been there with my '98 EX.

I keep my code in my wallet on a Honda card. That way iit's not with the radio (in the rare case the dealership makes them show ownership).
Thanks for the info Amy

Fixed my mistakes...