Removing front bumper cover

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've searched around the forums here and did a couple of google searches, but wasn't able to find anything good on how to remove the front bumper cover. anyone know of a good DIY they can link me to? or anyone have a good idea how to do it? how many clips/screws are there to remove?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
I've searched around the forums here and did a couple of google searches, but wasn't able to find anything good on how to remove the front bumper cover. anyone know of a good DIY they can link me to? or anyone have a good idea how to do it? how many clips/screws are there to remove?
pop the hood... there are a few obvious ones there
front corner of the fenders - one on each side
under the bumper (under the car) there are a few.

i think thats it... its really easy dude, just take a look and unscrew the obvious ones, give a good tug.... if it dont come off then find the ones you missed. =)

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool, sounds easy enough then, just wasn't really sure where the screws were all located

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
Cool, sounds easy enough then, just wasn't really sure where the screws were all located
yea, its really easy. just go try it like i said.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Someone posted an "IN DEPTH" how to do this... let me see if I can find it... its VERY easy, but this way even the most confused can figure it out.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
K found it. Stole from "NOFX"
-------------------------------------

Yes, you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlights.

On a stock front bumper on a 6th gen:

- Two 10mm bolts on the underside middle front of the bumper. They should be around a foot apart or so.

- Pop the hood. There will be seven (I think seven...) clips on top of the upper grill shell. On most cars they can be removed by plucking them off with a flathead screwdriver. I believe the '96s have phillips-head holes though.

- Two phillips-tip screws in the wheel wells. One on each side right below the headlight on the tip of the bumper.

After that disconnect any foglights you might have on the bumper. Then pull out either corner of the bumper so it's not caught on anything. Go around to the front middle and pull the entire bumper off.

There will be a metal "eyelash" of sorts underneath each headlight. They will have two 10mm bolts holding them to the chassis. Remove the "lashes".

Now you should ake sure the headlights are unplugged. Remove the black boots and then unplug the large black plug from the back of each light. Sometimes they will stick. Just pink one side (there is a tiny clip on either side) and lean it as far in the opposite direction as possible. Then press the other side and remove the plug.

Then there will be four 10mm bolts on each headlight. One under the fender, one at the middle point of the headlight, and two on top. Undo those.

After this slowly and gently pull away the headlight. In te outside corner there is a plug for the turn signal. Twist it to remove it.

Do the opposite to reassemble the front end of the car.

Btw, this sounds FAR more complicated than it really is. =)

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Outstanding!! Thanks

That would explain why I coudln't find anythign when i did the search, i was just using bumper, or bumper cover, looks like that came from aa removing headlight thread.

Thanks again!!