Removing the thermostat

Mr. DX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How safe it is to remove the thermostat from a D16Y7 engine to make it run cooler? :!:

solar

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you having problems with overheating? Because just removing a thermostat won't always make the engine run cooler. There is nothing wrong with a hot running engine as long as its within normal range, its designed to run that way. It important for proper warm up to insure the oil can circulate to bring the engine up to proper temp. A cooler running engine will also use more gas and could cause damage to the engine because the oil isn't circulating properly. If it is over heating, make sure your cooling fan is working, and the radiator is clear of bugs and leaves, then flush the system, and replace the thermostat.

I know some engines don't have thermoststs anymore, I'm not sure about yours.

Anibal

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if it's overheating, maybe your thermostat could be clogged too...if it doesn't open properly, the engine may run hotter and if it doesn't open it will overheat. You may check it and replace it. engines run pretty hot, but if you notice a decrease in performance than a normal hot day, you may check your cooling system.

bubbles

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:oops: :wink: I just bought a 4 door 95 civic......problem is when i start the fan runs......looks like the thermostat is bypassed....problem is i dont know where the themo is positioned to check or replace ...please help :oops: