Replace water pump?

cjpcivic

I get all my oil changes and things at the dealer. Last time I was there, they said I should replace the water pump. It's a 2006 LX coupe with 110k miles. I asked if it was leaking or something and they just said, "well no, but it's about time to replace it." Is this true? Or should I just wait until it's obvious that I need a new one?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yours has a chain, and basically the main reason why they would replace the water pump anyway is because you have to take the belt off to get to it anyway. And since you don't replace the chain every 105k, there's no interval for the water pump replacement so I'm not sure why they recommended it.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you're saying when they replace the chain they would suggest replacing the pump?
Yes. Just because it's there and might as well. But you very rarely hear of chains being replaced.

Do you follow your maintenece minder? Because right around this time it'll probably show a "4" if it hasn't already. And that indicates plugs, coolant, seals and valve adjustment. Maybe the service writer got confused?

cjpcivic

Yes. Just because it's there and might as well. But you very rarely hear of chains being replaced.

Do you follow your maintenece minder? Because right around this time it'll probably show a "4" if it hasn't already. And that indicates plugs, coolant, seals and valve adjustment. Maybe the service writer got confused?
Yes I follow the maintenance minder and always have the work done in a timely manner. Right now it's showing a B and 1 2 5

I even asked the guy, "Do I REALLY need a new water pump or can I wait?" And he said, "well, we recommend you just go ahead and replace it."

But that was 3 months ago at my last service date and I didn't do it. Now it's time for my B 1 2 5 maintenance and I know they're going to tell me again to replace the water pump.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes I follow the maintenance minder and always have the work done in a timely manner. Right now it's showing a B and 1 2 5

I even asked the guy, "Do I REALLY need a new water pump or can I wait?" And he said, "well, we recommend you just go ahead and replace it."

But that was 3 months ago at my last service date and I didn't do it. Now it's time for my B 1 2 5 maintenance and I know they're going to tell me again to replace the water pump.
Oops. My bad. 5 is coolant. 4 is all the other things I mentioned.

Yeah I'm sorry but they're full of s**t. I was a Service Writer at Honda also so you do not need to replace it if it's not leaking on a chain-driven engine.

cjpcivic

Ok thank you! So if and when my water pump needs replaced, will it like explode or something? Is that why they say it's better to just replace it rather than wait until it dies?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok thank you! So if and when my water pump needs replaced, will it like explode or something? Is that why they say it's better to just replace it rather than wait until it dies?
It's gonna be WWIII in your engine bay.

IT'S A JOKE.
No but when it goes out it'll just start leaking.
And I honestly think that that dealer is just trying to get their upsell. I just moved from one Honda dealer to another and some are more aggressive with "additional recommendations" than others. And like I've said before, you generally don't necessarily need to replace the water pump, even with a belt. Just whenever you do the belt/chain it directly drives the pump, so while you're in there they recommended replacing it so you don't have to spend ANOTHER $800 to do the same process.