Replacement driver seat for 2006 civic

magyver58

5+ Year Member
My father purchased a 2006 civic but after 4 weeks of driving it he realizes he needs better lumbar support ( This is the only serious weakness this car seems to have) He's tried those store bought lumbar supports but they constantly move around and need to be readjusted. He is seriously considering bringing the car back to trade it in for an accord, but I'm sure he'd take a beating on the trade-in. Are there any aftermarket replacement seats for this car that have lumbar support. Is it possible to buy an accord seat and place it in the civic? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Mike

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the only down fall i see in this whole thing is that if you replace the seat with any other seat, then there goes the warranty of it, and the laibility isn't something that i'm not going to get into, cause a dealer will not take a seat from one car and make it fit another car.

DRaven

Bad from the start
5+ Year Member
There are a ton of seats in the aftermarket. You would have to take dear ole Dad to a local speed shop to park him in a few till you find one he likes. I have tried Momo, Sparco, Recaro, APC, 3A, Cerullo and FloFit. They are all different and all similar.

I don't understand the warranty issue raised above. If you replace the seat, then it is not going to be covered by Honda. Is this a big deal?

Liability, is an issue if you have a seat bracket custom made to fit a non-stock seat in the car. If this concerns you, then only buy a seat that has a Civic fitment.

Good luck solving your Dad's issue.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe you can get the seat recovered with lumbar in it? id suggest getting it done in leather like DRaven's (ull have to search for his topics to find it) but it looks nice.

magyver58

5+ Year Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've looked at some of the aftermarket seats on the internet. It would be nice to find one that would match the rest of the interior at least in color if not the exact fabric. Most of the after market seats seem to be very sporty though with red and black colors. Reupholstering the seat and building in a lumbar support sounds like a great idea. Not sure where to go to get that done though. Anybody have any ideas? I live in NY on Long Island if that helps.

Mike

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well draven told me to go to the dealer and ask where they get theres done but i dunno..id look in the phonebook im sure theres alot of places there that do it. i know there is here and im in alabama. where at in long island? my dad is around the Hanceville? area not sure i know its close to Hicksville

magyver58

5+ Year Member
Thanks. I checked yahoo local and put in "car reupholstery" for my area. I got a few places but then I decided to call the dealer he gave me the name of the place they use. Very helpful folks. They said they can install a power lumbar support kit for $295 and they will do the Katzkin leather kit for $995 installed. I think that pretty much solves the problem. Just want to thank everyone for the quick responses and helpful suggestions.

Mike

DRaven

Bad from the start
5+ Year Member
Glad to help. I have the Katzkin with perforated inserts in mine and love it. You can get heated seats and massage seats as well. But that may be a bit overboard. =)

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes yw also i like helping people, and since im new to imports is cool that i can help someone else out :-D

i was seriously thinking about getting the leather(would make it easier to keep clean since i work construction) just a few questions..guess i should pm raven but i wanted everyone else to see incase they were wondering also. what do they do with your current cloth? do the remove it or put the leather over it? is there anyway you could go back to your cloth?

and how does that katzkin leather feel? is it comfy?

magyver58

5+ Year Member
GETxERxDONE said:
yes yw also i like helping people, and since im new to imports is cool that i can help someone else out :-D

i was seriously thinking about getting the leather(would make it easier to keep clean since i work construction) just a few questions..guess i should pm raven but i wanted everyone else to see incase they were wondering also. what do they do with your current cloth? do the remove it or put the leather over it? is there anyway you could go back to your cloth?

and how does that katzkin leather feel? is it comfy?
The shop explained to me that they remove the cloth and completely reupholster the seats. I didn't think to ask them what they do with the cloth, but I suppose you could ask them to give it to you. It involves more than just the seats though. They apparently replace the door panels with leather ones as well. They said these have to be attached with adhessive so I'm not sure what kind of shape the cloth ones are in once you remove them. As far as comfort I'll have to let you know after they are installed next week. DRaven seems to really like them. He has a post that shows pictures of them in his car. They look great.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
k. i didnt think there would be much chance of me getting my cloth back just in case i didnt like it or it tore up quick. yeah i saw dravens door panel and other pics..looked like they just reupolstered the armrest like they do the center console..but i dunno.

take some pics too pls and i would also like to know how long it takes if you pay attention since its not your car they are doing it to

DRaven

Bad from the start
5+ Year Member
Mine was done in a one day turnaround. They pull the factory covers and install the Katzkin. The center armrest and door armrest are covered as well.

I have two kids, so I needed something I could wipe clean. They feel great and fit the bill in every way for me. Ask for your old seat cloth back. It should come off intact and be reuseable.

Don't forget, you have the perforated option, color insert options and stitching options as well. It was no extra charge to have my inserts done in perf.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what do you mean by preforated inserts?

it would be cool to get something stitched in with the leather though..if i got it i would get black leather and like a blue Honda symbol would be sweet

magyver58

5+ Year Member
GETxERxDONE said:
what do you mean by preforated inserts?

Go to katzkins site and you can get details about all the options ( colors/ inserts etc.) that are offered with these seats. Just click on the link at the bottom left that says seat color selector and you can design your seat.

The place thats doing my fathers car also quoted a 1 day turn around and that included doing the lumbar suupotr and the leather upholstery. They have to order the kit and wait for it to come in before we bring the car in. they said it might take 4-5 days to get it.