Replacing timing belt and water pump?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I was wondering if anyone has changed their timing belt and water pump, and how hard it is?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not me...but i would like to know too. its about time i change my timing belt

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im not sure but i heard that its expensive as hell

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not sure about that water pump...i just know that youd probably need to get a new thermostat and both gaskets while youre at it

VTECpower1062

Honda/Acura Parts Express
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The timing belt job at a dealer could run from $600-800 depending if the dealer has any specials going on parts discounts, labor discounts,etc.. That should include the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, and probably 1 or 2 things i some how cant think of at the moment :? . But those items will be in there for sure and the normal time the belt is changed is around every 80-90,000 miles. Use to work for a local honda service department and thats what they would charge for the job.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
timing belt and water pump are a doozie for sure..... you'll need gaskets and, i think, new coolant........ you're best bet would be to open up a repair manual and go through the process one step at a time...... go slow, and there should be no problems......... and i think it can be done with basic hand tools.....

if i haven't been corrected by morning, ill go through my manual and see what it says

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its a b***h because theres an engine mount in the way.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "handlebarsfsr"

its a b***h because theres an engine mount in the way.
yeah, i havent looked yet, but i hear its a real tight fit in there

MystiCiViC97Ex

**FeEL THe GIrL**
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know anyone that has done the timing belt change on their own cars.. I would really like to know because when it comes time for me to have mine changed I am not trying to spend $600.00. The dealer says that I can go up to 90,000 miles before I will have to change the belt.. so I have 38,000 miles to go. So on the real.. Holla and let me know because If I have to pay Honda $600.00+ I better start saving now.

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i did a timing belt change in my auto class, and let me tell u, it aint easy, unless u got the right tools. the hardest part is acutally taking off the crank pulley, cause that s**t is on tight. once the crank is out, everything else is a peice of cake. the water pump is easy to replace. but when u put the crank back on, u need to tighten it to around 181 ft lbs, and i doubt u got anything in the garage that can do that. air compressor!!! and i was working on a sohc, so imagine a dohc. good luck guys!!!!!

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i just broke my timing betl yesterday, luckily no harm done...but today me and my dad replaced it with a new one, and i will tell you its FUGGIN hard, you have to take the whole pully side of engine apart, you have to take off mounts, everything single thing that has a belt hooked to it must be taken off, but it really takes no special tools at all, only a 10mm a 12mm 14mm and like 18mm and thats really it...but i will say my dad is a experineced mechanic and it took us 2 days to do, and i would HIGHLy suggest buying a manual, getting the timing right without one is kinda hard...but all in all in a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being hardest its about a 7...

Holly Golightly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i actually just had my water pump replaced but had to have the shop do it cause it's a b***h to chance since you have to get everything just right or you're screwed. i think it ran about $380.00 just for the water pump (not at the Honda dealership)

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "slykandi"

i actually just had my water pump replaced but had to have the shop do it cause it's a to chance since you have to get everything just right or you're screwed. i think it ran about $380.00 just for the water pump (not at the Honda dealership)
i sincerely hope you did the timing belt too, or else your going to have to re do all that labor again to change the timing belt. you ALWAYS do them both at the same time, especially on a honda. anyone who tells you differently is full of it.

Holly Golightly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no the belt wasn't replaced since we did that right after i bought the car...but for some reason didnt do the pump? anyway they looked at it and it didnt need to be replaced

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i would have done it anyway, i mean the belt is cheap, so why risk it? even if you only put a few thousand miles on it, while you have the thing open like that you might as well do it.

Holly Golightly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats how i thought too but it wasn't up to me... do people listen to me about my own car? No.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
eh its cool, no one around me ever listens to what i have to say either...