Retrofit Source - Info On Retro-Fits

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Being this is a "Where to buy / Not to buy", I suppose it's warranted for any future TRS / Retrofit shoppers.

My first contact on Thursday the 6th was simply to get information on the tracking number. I had paid for 2 day priority mail and it was marked shipped, stating electronic information received going on 3 days at that point. I was working also and didn't have the time to put into a phone call and I get off at 5pm which is also when they close. My response was that they were getting a container in that day, the box and label was already set up, hence the tracking status, and it should be out that day (the 6th). I thought that was an appropriate response, I don't think the guy personally packing the order could have given me much more than that. The name I didn't catch, that was my fault, I'm usually way better at these thing for later reference.

My second contact on Monday the 10th I get a guy on the phone, I want to say his name started with an O, like Oscar or some crap, again I dropped the ball there. He was a customer service rep and ensure me the box DID go out and that USPS had messed up the tracking on several of their orders that went out. The orders would be delivered no later than that day, or Tuesday the 11th. I guess this is the point I should have gone over his head, but I didn't and that was my mistake, because he obviously had no idea that the box was sitting in the same building he was giving me a crap answer from.

Tuesday I got an email from TRS stating "Order Complete" as I was heading home from work (5:15 ish) and didn't read it at that moment while I was driving, just saw the subject pop up on the screen. I was relieved a little thinking this meant delivered, everything was done. Parked, checked the email and no, that wasn't the case. The order was "Order being held due to back-order of one or more items." I did what most consumers do in this case and started swearing and having fake conversations with myself where I punch the guy in the face with words. Instead I sent an email because it was 5:45pm at that point, explaining my contact experience at that point and the misinformation given and requested a status update on the order.

I spoke to a Jamielle in Customer Service who physically checked on the order and those involved, which I failed to get any names, this was an important step I missed a few times now. She told me the ocular shrouds that I ordered were on back order. Everything else in the order was fine. *I ordered the kit in a "square" setup and only two shrouds are available for it, I thought the gatling guns looked too busy for a projector.* I mentioned I'd wait if the time wasn't going to be extensive. She told me it would be around Wednesday.

I'll wait until Wednesday and call again and look for the guy packing the order and speak with him directly if possible and get the entire story / update.

Lesson to be learned, listen to Lethal6 and talk to the people that matter.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thread moved out of the tech section because there isn't a tech question.

Regarding the question, I have used TRS more than a few times for personal and a couple for work (ordered HID kits for better than OEM quality replacements) and have never had a problem.

Are you actually contacting customer support or just sending an email back and forth through a salesmen? You need to talk to customer support or the shipping department if you have a problem with shipping. It's that way with almost any business that deals with shipping consumer products.

Never heard of lightwerkz? I am betting that they get their stuff through TRS just like everyone else and probably at a discount so they sell cheaper. That or they are a cheap junk knock off company like the rest of the outsiders.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thread moved out of the tech section because there isn't a tech question.
My bad

Regarding the question, I have used TRS more than a few times for personal and a couple for work (ordered HID kits for better than OEM quality replacements) and have never had a problem.

Are you actually contacting customer support or just sending an email back and forth through a salesmen? You need to talk to customer support or the shipping department if you have a problem with shipping. It's that way with almost any business that deals with shipping consumer products.

Never heard of lightwerkz? I am betting that they get their stuff through TRS just like everyone else and probably at a discount so they sell cheaper. That or they are a cheap junk knock off company like the rest of the outsiders.
I pretty much ended up going with TRS because of how many people on here have ordered from them and seem to have really good experience with them. To be honest, I'm getting better customer service from the chinese company, K2Motor, who sold me my $60 headlight set. One came broken by UPS and same day they filed a damage claim and got a replacement setup to go out. TRS can't seem to get my order straight and it kind of makes me sad.

I spoke with them on the 6th via their chat things as I was really only curious what was going on with the tracking number, and I was at work. When they said it was going out that day, I was just like, "Kay, whatever, should be fine." Then some clown on the phone, I can't remember his name and that sucks, said a bunch of packages went out but USPS messed up the tracking and none of the numbers updated, which sounded odd to me. I asked if he could verify that mine went out and he promised I would get it Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

Last night when I got home, I saw I had an email from them saying "Order Complete, order being held due to items being back ordered" and I lost my s**t and email them (it was after 5pm), but you can bet I'll be on the phone with them this morning.

Was kind of strange and aggravating. I wasn't sure if there was one of those guys there that has his head on straight and can magically fix things if I call him directly. Guess we'll see in a few hours.

As for LightWerkz, when I searched for Retro Fit HIDs, they were the second link under TRS. LightWerkz seems to be bsed out of Oakland, NJ, which is an hour away from me. Going through their pages, the stuff looks identical to TRS, options on orders all look the same, same options on bulbs, shrouds, ballasts, etc. So if TRS is the company that originates this stuff, I guess it's likely they get it from them. Or they all get the same parts from the same old Chinese men.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So they mentioned they goofed when going to ship my order and I guess now I'm waiting on shrouds; they say a week so we'll see.

However I found Morimoto's site with their products and distributors. Looks like LightWerkz is legit same as TRS
http://www.morimotohid.com/distributors.html

I only happened to find this because my girlfriends projectors / HID started flickering and then died while we were driving home tonight at 9pm. I grabbed the MotoControl box and the power wire just fell out, completely corroded. We've only had the car a few weeks, so the guy that put them in, didn't do a good job of keeping them away from the elements I guess.

Regardless, that answers that question and if TRS ends up messing up again, I know where I can get legit kits =)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry, I just went back and read my post. I meant to say that Lightwerkz might get their stuff through Morimoto (not TRS like I said). TRS is just a distributor, looks like LW is too. Morimoto is where TRS gets their stuff. The projectors, the balasts, the bulbs, and the shrouds. TRS doesn't make the stuff.

I see 3 things wrong with the way you handled it.

1) The chat is for simple information and 90% of those chats are handled by people that don't work directly for the company that they are on and use "scripts" to get the basic answers out of the way without having to bug the people at the actual store/shop/warehouse/etc. For instance, the chat that is done on my work's website is handled by a company in another state and they use scripts given to them. If they can't answer a question they kindly tell the person that they will have someone from the department they are looking for answer for them within 24 hours.

2) When you called you settled for some person that obviously didn't know what the order or situation was about from the get go and just gave you a "box" answer.

3) You replied to an email that also looked like it was a "box" automated response.

You need to find out who handled the order or who actually handles the shipping, anyone else is going to give you a box answer like you have been getting.

I don't know the full situation because you are being kind of vague so I can only comment on what I have seen.

Not saying that they were in the right because they should have kept you in the loop, but everything I have seen was the wrong way to go about fixing the situation.

In my 4 years of selling auto parts for Porsche so far, I can think of maybe 4 orders total out of millions of dollars of orders that I didn't know what was going on with the parts to where I couldn't tell my customers what was going on. Now if someone were to call and get one of the people outside my department, they would give a box answer if they couldn't get a hold of me, but if they got a hold of me, I would be able to tell exactly where their parts are along the way and when they are arriving.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'll agree in most cases with what you said, but the parts I don't is likely because of lack of detail. I've worked in small companies before (like 20 or so employees) and usually we always had a very good idea on what was going on) so I guess I assumed incorrectly here and thought the information being given was correct and up to date. I've also always been a firm believer of leaving detailed notes on orders in case someone else needs to look them up in a pinch (working in IT, it was needless tot say it had to be done.) I'm sure they process a few more orders than server / network systems I've worked on. I guess I thought customer service was their to service the customer and their questions, but really it seems they're just there to say sorry and thank you a lot, pat your bottom, and send you on your way.

*Edited my first post which just lacked any sort of relevant information. Seemed kind of ignorant at this point and not very helpful to anyone reading for information XD*

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. That about sums it up for customer service to an extent. I take it you have never had to take a course before for larger volume companies? That is basically what they tell you to do in layman's terms if you dont directly know the situation.

Best part of advice I can give based on what I have read in this thread...never assume anything.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol. That about sums it up for customer service to an extent. I take it you have never had to take a course before for larger volume companies? That is basically what they tell you to do in layman's terms if you dont directly know the situation.

Best part of advice I can give based on what I have read in this thread...never assume anything.
Not for sales usually, always service based companies. Internet is out? I need to speak to a supervisor! However, I worked for Circuit City (Out of business, this could be why...) and when the managers were on break in the back and sales guy would say "Customer wants to speak with a manager", manager would say, "Congrats, you've been promoted to manager for the next 60 minutes!" So you never know who you're talking to really.

I guess I did assume a bit here, so lessons to be taken from this for sure. I try to be level headed and think clearly as possible, but still getting the proper experience :D

I won't condemn or condone these guys yet. Again, I picked them solely based on feedback from others and I know mistakes are made. I made some, and they also handled the line of information poorly. I'll keep this updated through getting the finished product in my hands!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Carlos is my new contact at TRS, he's working with Matt the owner to get all the possible updates on the order they can. I feel a little bit better about that. The parts holding up my order were supposed to come in this week, "mid-week" but I know shipping times are out of most hands. Matt says this container will drop Friday and I should have updates by then. That will be 3 weeks before my order is packed and shipped, so let's see what happens.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man, I realised I never followed up on this.

My kit came, everything looked fine. I started to assemble...

Headlights apart, bulb and chrome assembly out from the housing, cruisin.

The projector assembly fit right in to the chrome assembly, no issues. I could not, however, find a combination of screw rings that held the projector steady enough to also hold the bulbs in place, they would just spin when trying to attache the D2S connector. I ended up using a dremel cutting wheel to SPLIT the aluminum ring in half so it could the 3 point ring over the projector and I could screw on the ring with thumb wings to hold the spring for the bulb on. What fun, but whatever, not a big deal.

Time to snap the shrouds on... literally... 3 plastic tabs inside, 2 of them on both shrouds just shattered and rocketed away from my assembly area. That's horse s***. No one else seems to have these problems. No one else seemed to be doing it with "square" projector setups. I guess I'm the only a*****e on the internet who thought they'd look good. Ok, so I epoxied them on to the projector housing.

Install the half finished lights into the car to aim the projectors, no power. Who woulda thunk... The 9006 connectors do not go together for s***. I ended up cutting one of them off to splice a new one that came in the box as a spare. I ended up backing the pins out of the connectors to put them together to get the system to work and they just would not fit together correctly as whole assemblies. Never had that issue with any HID kit, even the $30 Xentec kits from eBay. Whatever, projos aimed, time to cook!

Baked back together, let them cool off over night, put everything together, putting D2S connector on one of the bulbs and the 2 nubs that hold the connector to the bulb itself just snap off. Perfect, what fun. Connections stays together without, but shaky at best.

D2S ballasts come with a rubber gasket that is supposed to seal the headlight from moisture. So I pushed them in to try it out and it was awful, not even close. Sure enough, the next morning, it looks like it rained inside my headlights. Maybe it was my resealing? Used the OEM Honda gaskets, cut the hole a little bit bigger to fit the D2S connectors and pushed them on best I could. Next day, no issue.

Side note, the D2S kit comes with a connector that is a right angle connection, makes using the gasket really tough.

I was pretty disappointed in this whole thing. I'm just going to chock it up to I'm a complete f***tard, somehow.

SO
Spoke to my good buddy Carlos. Carlos, the connectors don't stay together. Carlos, the bulbs fell to pieces when I tried to connect it. Carlos, my shroud clips just shattered, so I epoxied them. Carlos, my gaskets don't work, headlights don't seal properly.

New Morimoto control unit sent at TRS expense.

Ordered A.M.P. ballasts and A.M.P. to D2S straight connector adapter kit, my expense
Ordered new HID bulb, also my expense.

Carlos ensures me the epoxy is OK for the shrouds.

Getting all of my stuff together to go round two on this kit. So far, I'm unimpressed.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Back in the ring, let's duke it out. Finally have the new headlights for the fit, finally have everything apart and ready to go together for the new headlights. Shroud pops off and I grab it, finger print smudge - crap. So I grabbed my super insanely soft polishing cloth, totally dry and lightly rubbed the finger print off. Apparently, I'm stupid strong in the finger areas and managed to rub the finish off (wtf). Cheap s*** for $40 if you ask me (AFTER the tabs just blasted apart)

"Carlooooooooos!"
Me and him are buddies. Carlos put in a request for me to get the shroud replaced. Never ends...

Quality of the parts is so so at this point, I'm not impressed. I'm not upset by the customer service however. Carlos has been more than helpful. Sucks I had to buy new ballasts, etc but I guess it was mostly my own choice - the provided D2S connectors suck hard.