Reverse LED's

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Does anyone have them? I'm reading that the aftermarket LED bulbs that are just plug and plug are horrible quality and don't last too long.

I've been told to make my own LED's but 1. I'm not good with electrical stuff at all and 2. I can't solder for s*** lol. I don't want to buy all this stuff and keep screwing up but the bonus would be getting maxiumum illumination, color, quality, etc.

I thought about replacing several bulbs in and around the car with LED's like the reverse lights, interior overhead lights, and the bulbs above the license plate. I think the license plate ones would add a nice touch to the outside and go well with my HID projectors.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love to solder haha, and I always wanted LED in a civic, but though they were ricey. Soldering just takes patience, and a steady hand. My hatch had LED license plate lights. It was pretty cool.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't want to actually change anything BUT the bulb. I think the brighter, whiter, and more crisp light from an LED adds a nice touch IMO. I don't want to change every bulb... Like I said, LED reverse tail lights would help with backing up at night. I'm not 100% sure on the bulb above the rear license plate..... I've seen it on some local cars (even clean Honda's) and I really think it adds a nice touch. And let's face it, halogen sucks compared to HID and LED. Having a brighter interior light would be nice, especially sometimes when I need to find something in my car at night and even though both overhead lights are on, I still can't see s**t.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i redid all my interior lights to LED and my license plate bulbs as well. it was easy and cost me around 15.oo pretty cheap and all you really do is replace the bulb its very simple and takes no time at all.
PM for details for where i got them so cheap

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i redid all my interior lights to LED and my license plate bulbs as well. it was easy and cost me around 15.oo pretty cheap and all you really do is replace the bulb its very simple and takes no time at all.
PM for details for where i got them so cheap
How long have you had the bulbs for and how often do you drive the car? I'm a part of HID forums where there are really knowledgeable people when it comes to LED's. They all claim that the cheap eBay bulbs you can buy are very poor quality and don't last very long, contrary to their "rated life span". Also do you think you can post some pics with the reverse lights on in a dark lot at some point? I'd like to see how much better visilibity really is.

97ek_coupe

i had led license plate lights, and they started flickering/going out after a month. my buddy gave them to me, and i assume they were cheap ebay nonsense. my led dome light is still going strong though.

NeoCivic95

Im new here . I'm getting a Honda civic ferio 1995 it ready has HID but I was wondering is the LED better than HID ?

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
How long have you had the bulbs for and how often do you drive the car? I'm a part of HID forums where there are really knowledgeable people when it comes to LED's. They all claim that the cheap eBay bulbs you can buy are very poor quality and don't last very long, contrary to their "rated life span". Also do you think you can post some pics with the reverse lights on in a dark lot at some point? I'd like to see how much better visilibity really is.

I'm sure that some people on there know there stuff but the truth is, there are almost ZERO manufactures in the USA that make leds, practically all of them come from overseas. i never understood the mentality that stuff from out of the us is crap...considering we drive HONDAS!!!! lol. also, stock bulbs in cars are incandescent, not halogen. halogen are for stock headlights, incandescent bulbs are for gauges and dome lights.

Just get the bulbs that pop into your oem connectors, i have been running led turns signals since may and have had no problems.

Im new here . I'm getting a Honda civic ferio 1995 it ready has HID but I was wondering is the LED better than HID ?
HID=High intensity discharge
LED=light emitting diode

these are two completely different ways of producing light. HID's use a large bust of energy to heat and excite photons in an inert gas, leds use a diode that excites photons when a current is applied in a specific direction.

these have two very different purposes. HID are for headlights, leds are for accent/courtesy lights. there have been a few attempts at LED headlights, but in general HID is considered better.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for clearing that up! I may just try out some eBay bulbs for now. They seem cheap anyways. I'm not ready to make my own LED's lol.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not all stock bulbs are strictly incandescent. I sell halogen bulbs for blinkers and other misc exterior light housings for some Audi models and I am sure many others are doing that as well. Also most new cars are using full on L.E.D.s for their tail lights and some are even doing it for running lights (Audi has been doing in headlights for years now).

Also H.I.D. isn't just for headlights. Many use them in fog lights and I have even heard of people wanting to retrofit/custom install some in off road lights for light bars and such.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just buy some LED's that are plug and play. I've had several LED's that i have had for years. I actually pulled them from my civic and put them into my del sol. I recently bought some for my s2k and it really sets it off. I changed all of my interior lights and license plate lights on all of my cars. They look awesome. I put 'reverse/back up' lights on my s2000 and I don't feel it helps backing up at night mainly because you still use your brake when backing up and the red kind of kills the white light.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh also, i wouldn't recomend LED's for the turn signals since they typically use less watts or voltage or something like that and makes the system think that the bulbs are out and blink really fast.
Unless your into that kind of thing...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I'm not into that. I just want reverse and license plate lights. My friend put HID's in his reverse lights which I think is retarded IMO.

Thanks for the info guys.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh also, i wouldn't recomend LED's for the turn signals since they typically use less watts or voltage or something like that and makes the system think that the bulbs are out and blink really fast.
Unless your into that kind of thing...
That can be corrected with an l.e.d. load equalizer. Did that on my sportbike and the blinkers are now back to normal speed.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I ended up buying dome and license plate LED's. I also bought a brigther 3rd brake light (not LED but supposedly a lot brighter). I'll try to remember to post before and after pics when I get them next week.

After doing some reading, I don't trust random eBay LED's so I'm trying to be picky on which ones I buy.