RHD vs LHD Headlights - Retrofit Question

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking to redo my retrofits after installing them into a set of smoked headlights. These look fantastic during the day, on a black car. At night, you might as well be using a glow in the dark pencil topper to navigate the highways - awful decision, but whatever, these headlights were free.

I'm looking to get another set of headlights to do my retrofit, but I have stipulations:
-> I'm looking to go OEM (DEPO / Valeo / Stanley)
-> I'm looking for clear corners (no reflector) (Would rather not have to paint over a reflector)
-> I'm wanting an end result like the CTR headlights (I'm not forking out $800 for CTRs) so I'll be spraying them with shadow chrome blackout paint (this seemed the best option, closest to the CTR look)

I can get OEM lights with no reflector really from EDM or JDM models at this point, and will have to spray the housings since only the CTRs came in gunmetal.

If I get JDM headlights, I understand the I'll be shootint light to the wrong side mostly; which doesn't help me much here? What I'm curious here is, what exactly creates that angle? The bulb and the reflector will be removed for the retrofit. The chrome headlight fixture that adjusts, I would think can be adjusted in the proper angles? Is there anything on the lens that creates this direction of light projected outward?

tl;dr - If I buy RHD headlights and gut them to retrofit them, can I use them properly on a LHD car?

Saw another thread, but didn't really hit this topic or explain it well...

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've just been reading forum after forum from other sites (Audi, Subaru, Ford, blah blah) and most everyone has the same consensus. Apparently on strictly halogen headlights with adjustable bowl and reflector (sits in from of the bulb itself), the reflector apparently makes the pattern.

LHD will point out to the right, like ___/ ___/
RHD will point out to the left, like \___ \___

This reflector is being removed to install retrofits anyway.

Another important bit of information I missed, which completely slipped my mind, is when I ordered the D2S kit, it gives the option of LHD or RHD, since the projectors will be controlling the cutoff here.

The bowl that the projector sits it can be adjusted and should give enough to point in the proper direction, if it's even a problem at all.

Will be looking further into a set of headlights to try this on so I can confirm the information post actual results.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive never thought about this but i dont see y its such a big deal :what:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ive never thought about this but i dont see y its such a big deal :what:
It's mostly a courtesy thing. The different orientation of the headlights dictate which way they are focused. LHD points mostly to an area directly in front of the passenger and to the side. This is so you are not shining lights directly into oncoming traffic. RHD is obviously the same, but sides are flipped, therefore, using RHD headlights on these streets in America means that you are focusing your low beams directly in front of you and into oncoming traffic.

If I didn't care so much about that, I would just rock plain HID bulbs in my stock housings and just douse all of everything in front of me with as much light as possible :D

You can't pretend it doesn't bother you when someone's HIDs blast your retinas and melt your brain.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's mostly a courtesy thing. The different orientation of the headlights dictate which way they are focused. LHD points mostly to an area directly in front of the passenger and to the side. This is so you are not shining lights directly into oncoming traffic. RHD is obviously the same, but sides are flipped, therefore, using RHD headlights on these streets in America means that you are focusing your low beams directly in front of you and into oncoming traffic.

If I didn't care so much about that, I would just rock plain HID bulbs in my stock housings and just douse all of everything in front of me with as much light as possible :D

You can't pretend it doesn't bother you when someone's HIDs blast your retinas and melt your brain.

I realize what it does.

Personally my eyes cant take any lights in them at night. And 1 person that points their rhd headlights to the left out of thousands doesnt seem like its really changing the world.

Being a fabricator or what not, i understand what u are trying to do here but i really doubt that many other people are going to put in the "work" to do this properly...

But kudos to u i guess :thumbs up

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Being a fabricator or what not, i understand what u are trying to do here but i really doubt that many other people are going to put in the "work" to do this properly...
I was mostly curious at first what else I would need to look at. Since I found my answer, I was hoping it would make more sense to other people and they may be interested in knowing what would need to be done, instead of half assing it, but sadly, you're right. Most people are not interested in it.

I guess if there's anyone else like me out there that has a question about it, hopefully this might provide some insight on it.

:flush:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was mostly curious at first what else I would need to look at. Since I found my answer, I was hoping it would make more sense to other people and they may be interested in knowing what would need to be done, instead of half assing it, but sadly, you're right. Most people are not interested in it.

I guess if there's anyone else like me out there that has a question about it, hopefully this might provide some insight on it.

:flush:

I didnt mean to be a d**k. Was kinda hinting that you and i are a lot alike in our thinking. Just not many others out there like us.

I say post up all of your findings for the slim chance some other overthinker may happen across this info!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didnt mean to be a d**k. Was kinda hinting that you and i are a lot alike in our thinking. Just not many others out there like us.

I say post up all of your findings for the slim chance some other overthinker may happen across this info!
Ha, wasn't hinting you were being a d**k, no worries.

Also, the information is somewhat easy to figure out and I guess I already covered my original question, so everything else is essentially irrelevant.

LHD are your proper setups, duh
RHD has the incorrect reflector for use on LHD roadways. You will essentially look like the d**k that drives around with his brights on
RHD without the reflector, with LHD projectors retrofit in, with proper bowl adjustment, will give you the proper cutoff needed.
LHD is already where it's at.

The reflector needs to be removed when installing retrofits. Since most people don't bother with retrofits and just run blinding HIDs in their stock housings, this thread is essentially useless, also this: :moon:

Aside from that, get LHD projectors and you'll be set. If you're smart enough to properly retrofit projectors, you're probably on the right track to properly adjusting them.

Decent reflector-less headlights are not super easy to come by. I checked with even RockAuto who sells certified (wtf ever that means) OE replacements for RHD models and when I tried to order, they stated the right side was no longer available and then it vanished off their site. So whatevs. I guess I'll try to find a decent pair of OEMs and just paint it all inside, reflectors and all.