Rim suggestions?

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
Ok, I have a weird question here. For lack of a better way to describe the look I want for my rims, I'll post a link to it.

Long story short, I like the low-key, black center, with small silver ringed edge of the wheels they had on the car in the Knight Rider TV show. I'm looking for rims that can come as close as possible to mimicking that look. Does anyone know a good place to find them? I don't just want look, I also want reliability for daily, slightly lead-footed driving. I am looking for them in a 16" version.

Here's a link to where you can see what kind of look I want....

http://www.roblouisell.com/index.html

Anyone got any suggestions?

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so u want your car to look like the one from night rider

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
Well not 'exactly' like it...but yes. I am going for kind of a low-keyed 'bad-ass' look. I plan to get the red scanner light from the front.....as well as (I hope) a way to change the gauge's color from blue to red. Then I would like to find rims that match the ones from the show as closely as possible.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go buy a new Mustang and you can have color changing gauges. Then get some black wheels with a polished lip, they aren't hard to find.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my car has black rims with a polished lip. Theyre closer to gunmetal, but still close. look in my vehicle profile.

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
If I wanted a Mustang, I'd have bought one. The Si's come with red gauges, it shouldn't be that hard to get that in an LX.

Scion 0x, your wheels look cool, but I'm looking for a more solid rim design. Spoked rims are mostly open spaces with spokes in between. I recently saw some rims on a car that were nearly solid with fewer spaces....but I can't find anything like that online.

Sion0x

Off to college!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ah, well I don't know what style you were looking for (not familiar with the show/car being discussed) but what I have on my car sounded a bit familiar, so I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, if you really want KITT's wheels, you're looking at 15 inch wheels with hubcaps. The 15 inch wheels apparently are actually 16 3/8 inches in diameter.

I found info here: http://www.knightreplicas.com/exterior_parts_for_kitt_and_ka.html
(Remember they are talking about them being on a Firebird btw. Also, this site will show you a lot more about making a replica, so it might be of use to you.)

15 inch Turbo Cast Aluminum Rims (RPO N89)

KITT and KARR also both had these extremely hard to find rims. These rims come in two sizes: 14 inch and 15 inch. Both KITT and KARR had 15 inch rims.

These rims were only an option on 1982-84 Firebirds, so there are not a lot of cars with them, and it is very difficult to find them in salvage yards.

The only type of Firebirds on which these rims will not fit are extremely rare 1989-92 Trans Ams with the RPO 1LE, an option that was made available for racing. The break calipers on these cars will prevent you from installing the rims.

The 15 inch rims are actually 16 3/8 inches in diameter.

Suppliers:
Black Knight Automotive
KNT2000's Customs
Mark's Custom Kits

How to Paint Turbo Cast Rims

15 inch Bowling Ball Hub Caps

Even harder to find than the rims and hood are the matching hub caps. There is even a rumor that some people have hoarded stockpiles of these caps, but aren't selling them.

Even worse, these hub caps have a tendency to fall off while the car is in motion, so make sure yours are securely in place.

Fortunately, companies have begun manufacturing fiberglass replicas of the hub caps, and some of them have the added benefit of staying in place better than the originals.

The 15 inch hub caps are actually 13 1/4 inches in diameter.

Suppliers:
Advanced Designs in Automotive Technology
Black Knight Automotive
GRP-Laminator
KNIGHTRIDERSITE
Knights of England
KNT2000's Customs
Mark's Custom Kits

How to Keep Bowling Ball Hub Caps on Rims

And a better pic of the wheels on the car (well, a replica).

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
Oh I Have all the Knight Rider sites bookmarked.....trouble is, even if I could find those kinds of rims and caps, I don't know if they'd fit on an '06 Civic. Do you? I'm a lil clueless when it comes to rims and tires and what fits and what works.

At the moment, I'm assuming the original Knight Rider rims won't fit my car, since it's not a Trans-am. But am looking for something that will basically have the look, while also being a nice rim to have on my car. I saw some Enkei 5-spoke rims that looked nice....but not 'exactly' like what I had in mind. They'd be a decent set if I couldn't find better though.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?yr=2006&wd=16&c=1&pc=68548&rw=7&bp=5-114.3&vid=009371

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I figure at the very least this will show people what you're going for. =)

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
Thanks...there are bunches of rims out there, but being clueless about them, I don't know what I need. What I want is easy....but I also want rims that are sturdy...well made, and can handle a lead-footed driving style. Of c ourse that probably means I need different tires too.

SpeedFiends

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
motorbreath said:
Thanks...there are bunches of rims out there, but being clueless about them, I don't know what I need. What I want is easy....but I also want rims that are sturdy...well made, and can handle a lead-footed driving style. Of c ourse that probably means I need different tires too.
Check out the Spun Wheels in my Site Sponsor thread =)

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
JDMk20A2 said:
Check out the Spun Wheels in my Site Sponsor thread =)
you only list them in 4x100, all new 8th gen civics are 5x114.3 and i dont know anyone that will want 15" for the new 8th ... MAYBE 16s but definatley wont find anyone buying 15s lol

just kind of an FYI not trying to bash or whatever

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I see that Spun Wheels thread also sells in 15s, but in case you're referring to my post, I was just posting the wheels he's orginally talking about. So people know what he's kind of going for.